Anyone heard of the new Armin Mueller Stahl pic? - Local Color could become a front runner

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And, Van, it's nice to see you back. Are you going to be able to spend more time with us now?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

OscarGuy wrote:We welcome new blood.

(and guys, don't scare this one away. ;) )
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

Welcome to the board, Alex! Enjoy your stay here and do make it occasionally to often okie. :D

I watched the trailer just to catch Mathis since she hasn't been seen in the movie scene lately.

With regards to Mueller-Stahl, he's a fine actor and from the trailer, it looks like he does have some memorable scenes.

But then again, getting nominated for an Oscar is not just about being able to deliver a fine and great performance. Neither is it just about getting all the best reviews from the critics. Perhaps if Empire Film Group is willing to go all the way for the Oscar campaign for Mueller-Stahl, he might stand a chance. But then again, there were actors and actresses who delivered superb performances, got the best reviews and solid Oscar campaigns, yet failed to get nominated. So, go figure.

Anyways, good luck with your film and may it finds its audience! :;):
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

I surely will. This is a great discussion board.

Alex Kirkwood
Co-Producer of Local Color
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, we've seen a scant few "shills" in the past and a lot of them were a little less accepting of our critiques (and some downright condemnations). So, we welcome anyone with an eye on film who doesn't mind hearing the negative with the positive.

And, although you're working on this one film alone, don't be afraid to jump into other discussions. We welcome new blood.

(and guys, don't scare this one away. ;) )
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

No! They were right. I wasn't really trying to be covert, I was polling for people's honest opinion. It would have been smarter to just use a different name, but my intent was as honest as can be. I've been messaging with the owner of the site and forum. He's quite a fascinating character (he knows his business).

We're such a small film and studio pictures would hire interns to do this type of work. I'd love to get anyone's opinion on the key art (poster) and trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/localcolor/)

I don't mean to advertise, we need some more market research.

Thanks,

Alex Kirkwood
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'm not sure it fits precisely within the definition of shilling, since DieTrying identified himself as a co-producer from his first post, and a shill is technically someone who pretends to be in the audience but is actually involved. DieTrying's is a more honest approach than would be someone who started jumping into discussions talking up the film without disclosing his involvement.

That said, it's a little weird seeing this kind of message here.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

DieTrying wrote:The fact that he (Armin) was nominated for Shine and thought to be nominated for "Promises" but wasn't makes him seem due.
Couldn't agree more. I loved him, really loved him in Eastern Promises and I still think he mastered the kind of characters that truly deserves to be considered more and more in the supporting category (instead of the usual co-leads).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Other big names this year: Australia, The Reader, Changeling, Gran Torino, Frost/Nixon, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Road, The Wrestler, Doubt and several others.

It could happen, but it would take precursor awards to even put him into consideration and I don't know if most of those NYFCC, LAFCA and others would pick up on him, though if they do, his name will be in circulation.

The trailer reminded me of A Love Song for Bobby Long mixed with Starting Out in the Evening.

The former isn't a bad movie, but it's not a terrific film. Starting Out is exceptional only thanks to Frank Langella, who should have been nominated last year.
Wesley Lovell
DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

That didn't take long :)

But honestly, aside from MILK, Reservation Road, and a couple others, who do you think is up for this year?

The fact that he was nominated for Shine and thought to be nominated for "Promises" but wasn't makes him seem due. I actually came on board during the Scottsdale release and then took it up to Seattle for a release on Bainbridge Island where we beat every movie in the county.

And with regard to national critics, we've received a glowing review from Leonard Maltin (Entertainment Tonight) which is on our website.

After meeting him last night at a screening for the NY Film Academy, we can't wait to push his review to the public.

What were your thoughts on the trailer?

Thanks,

Alex
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Indeed it is, Flipp. A quick search on Alex Kirkwood and I found that he is a co-producer on the film Local Color, the trailer to which I have reviewed on my site.

While I like Stahl generally, I don't think he's going to make an Oscar nod comeback for this. Critics will have a lot to say about whether the movie succeeds or not.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Is this shilling?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

Have any of you heard of the upcoming film Local Color? We test released the picture in Scottsdale and Washington with phenomenal success. Empire Film Group is releasing on November 7th. Below is the website.

www.localcolormovie.com

Here's the poster:

Thanks,

Alex Kirkwood
Co-Producer

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”