Anyone heard of the new Armin Mueller Stahl pic? - Local Color could become a front runner

DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

UPDATE:

A Local Color screener is being sent to Wesley Lovell (Oscar Guy) for review.

Also, the Local Color website is seing exponential growth. We're up 465% from only two days ago.

http://www.localcolormovie.com
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Okri wrote:
Eric wrote:I think it's patently clear that Josh Brolin has the best shot of all the many men in Milk for a BSA nod. The category favors antagonists, he had that phenomenal year last year (at least I remember MSM saying so, even if I can't remember what he was in aside from No Country), and I imagine most Academy voters are a little less susceptible to pretty boys than some of the members of this forum.

American Gangster and Grindhouse.
plus In the Valley of Elah.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Eric wrote:I think it's patently clear that Josh Brolin has the best shot of all the many men in Milk for a BSA nod. The category favors antagonists, he had that phenomenal year last year (at least I remember MSM saying so, even if I can't remember what he was in aside from No Country), and I imagine most Academy voters are a little less susceptible to pretty boys than some of the members of this forum.
American Gangster and Grindhouse.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I know little to nothing about the story of Milk, but as far as a Josh Brolin nomination (in W.) will depend on the stance of the film, though, that's pretty obvious. Oliver Stone will need to get the right balance for his film to be taken seriously. He needs to be on the outside looking in. To simply capture the madness for what it is/was.

Based on the trailer (W. not Milk, which I've yet to watch) Brolin looks good. But the fear that I have is that Stone's had his tongue in his cheek while making his film. The Oliver Stone that made Nixon has been beaten to a plup by the Oliver Stone that made Alexander. I can only hope that the Jekyll re-surfaces againts the Hyde.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I think it's patently clear that Josh Brolin has the best shot of all the many men in Milk for a BSA nod. The category favors antagonists, he had that phenomenal year last year (at least I remember MSM saying so, even if I can't remember what he was in aside from No Country), and I imagine most Academy voters are a little less susceptible to pretty boys than some of the members of this forum.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I couldn't get the trailer to work on the computer I'm at but I took a peek at one of the clips on the website. Doesn't really look like my kind of thing (I generally prefer arty films about artists, to this kind of inspirational fare) but I can see it going over with certain audiences and I wish you well on your Oscar campaign.

Looking at the poster reminds me of one thing I always wonder when I see it on a poster: do all those film festival laurels really work in selling a picture? Especially when it's the same two or three festivals over and over again (and not particularly top-tier festivals at that- I may have heard of the Ft. Lauderdale International Film Festival but I'm certain I've never heard of the Sedona International Film Festival), it seems that anyone who inspects closely is going to be suspicious of an attempt to oversell the film.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Here's my honest reaction to the trailer for Local Color: it basically looks like a paint-by-numbers (pun intended) coming of age story. Karate Kid, but with painting. The trailer shows too much and is way too maudlin. The lead actor has very little charisma and/or screen presence. The only thing about it that interested me in the slightest was the presence of Samantha Mathis. She looks like she's giving a more interesting performance than Mueller Stahl, whose character, from a rather cursory glance, looks like one I've already seen.

Edited By flipp525 on 1221003068
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

UPDATE:

Empire Film Group ran a full page ad in Variety regarding Local Color's release points and upcoming pictures.

Allied Advertising will be rolling out ground publicity in the coming weeks leading up to the release on November 7th.

We are still unsure of who our national publicist will be as well as Armin Mueller Stahl's Oscar campaign expert.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I also thought that Alison Pill looked rather interesting in the trailer, an actress I've never really thought about as being at all significant.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, based on the roles they're playing, I'd suspect Brolin has the more challenging part in playing Dan White than either James Franco (as Scott Smith) or Emile Hirsch (as Cleve Jones); and Diego Luna has a baity part as (SPOILER) the ill-fated Jack Lira.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm pending posting my predictions for this evening, but I only have the film down for two nods: Sean Penn and Emile Hirsch. I know it's possible that Josh Brolin could get a double nod for that film and W, but I'm not so sure. It's a stiff competition year.
I think right now it feels like the film to beat. Respected director, great story, phenomenal cast, timely subject matter, period piece with relevant issues, and coming three years after the Brokeback debacle, perhaps this is the opportunity to make up for it a little.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought it was James Franco, not Emile Hirsch who was getting the most buzz next to Sean Penn. Josh Brolin is a strong possibility given the one-two punch of this and W.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm pending posting my predictions for this evening, but I only have the film down for two nods: Sean Penn and Emile Hirsch. I know it's possible that Josh Brolin could get a double nod for that film and W, but I'm not so sure. It's a stiff competition year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

DieTrying wrote:Going up against Milk is a daunting task, but with the right publicist, you never know what might happen.
I’d prefer anything “going up” against Milk to lose, quite frankly. I want that movie to succeed, triumphantly wiping the floor with some other films. I think it has the potential to clean up in acting nominations, for starters.

DieTrying
Graduate

Post by DieTrying »

We're all on the same page. We will need to pull one hell of an Oscar campaign to make any noise. Going up against Milk is a daunting task, but with the right publicist, you never know what might happen.

Thanks,
Alex Kirkwood
Co-Producer of Local Color

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”