MSN - It's Never Too Early for Oscar

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

No, no. See, I'm a spread-the-wealth kind of guy. I know actors are too egotistical to do such a thing, but wouldn't it be nice if Streep were nominated against a lineup of previously-nominated-but-never-won nominees and graciously said, "No, I already have two, give to somebody else."

Edited By Penelope on 1219598184
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I don´t agree with your point at all. It is not a matter of wins but a matter of talent.Streep has proved that she has many skills that turn her irresistible.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Hustler wrote:Regarding Streep, I think it´s time for her to win another Oscar.

I think there are many other people who need to win their FIRST Oscar before she takes her third. I have never understood the turning of her into some sort of Acting God...if anyone deserves a third Oscar, it is Hilary Swank, right Pen?

I don't really think there is some huge rush to honor Streep with a third Oscar. But there is something about the sheer number of nominations she's accrued since her last win that has people thinking it should translate into a third trophy. Also, with such actresses as Katherine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Hilary Swank, Jane Fonda, Glenda Jackson, et al. having two or more Best Actress Oscars, it seems only fitting that Meryl Streep, considered an acting legend at this point, should be in that group as well.

But yes, agreed. There are tons of actors who should be honored with their first. If Streep knocks it out of the ballpark this year with Doubt and Kate Winslet shines in both Revolutionary Road and The Reader, then it looks like there might be a true showdown. Kate could be double-nommed in lead (Revolutionary Road) and support (The Reader), allowing the Academy to honor both of them. Who knows...

As for Hilary's third...Amelia Earheart here we come!

Edited By flipp525 on 1219598046
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

FilmFan720 wrote:

I think there are many other people who need to win their FIRST Oscar before she takes her third. I have never understood the turning of her into some sort of Acting God...if anyone deserves a third Oscar, it is Hilary Swank, right Pen?
Blasphemer! Sacrilege! Heathen!

But, yeah, I can think of several actress that need to win their first Oscar before Streep gets her third--aside from The Goddess, how about Julianne Moore, Glenn Close, Laura Linney, Emily Watson...and how about some who haven't yet been nominated, such as Isabelle Huppert or Anna Faris.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Regarding Streep, I think it´s time for her to win another Oscar.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sabin wrote:Kate Winslet has to do something new. Right now, she's just too damn dependable. I think 'Eternal Sunshine' was her breath-of-fresh air perf. I could certainly be wrong and 'Revolutionary Road' could push her over the top especially considering she's being director by her hubby.
Actually, I agree with this; in many ways, her Revolutionary Road character is very similar to her Little Children character. However, her character in The Reader is completely different and unique, something totally new for her.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Kate Winslet has to do something new. Right now, she's just too damn dependable. I think 'Eternal Sunshine' was her breath-of-fresh air perf. I could certainly be wrong and 'Revolutionary Road' could push her over the top especially considering she's being director by her hubby.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

flipp525 wrote:And who is Streep "supporting" in Doubt? Isn't that clearly a lead role?
Yes, it's most emphatically a lead role. And they'll push it as such (Viola Davis and Amy Adams will get the supporting push).
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:On the other hand here is nothing that says Kate Winslet will win either just because she will be getting her sixth nomination - if Paul Newman, Geraldine Page and Al Pacino had to wait for number eight and eight still wasn't good enough for Peter O'Toole then six is nothing, besides which Meryl Streep will getting her 15th nomination, her 11th since her second win and will likely be seen as the more "owed".
I don't think so. La Streep still has 2 Oscars to keep her company, La Winslet has 0...plus, she's pretty much recognized as one of the finest actresses of her generation--if not THE finest. She's definitely more owed than Streep.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
jack wrote:If Winslet wins this year, I hope DiCaprio wins to.

I've read the book and Winslet's character is very well-written. There is potential for a lot of material for her to sink her teeth into.
Flipp, I believe you've also read The Reader; personally, I was a bit underwhelmed by Revolutionary Road (the book), though I agree that Winslet's character has a lot to offer the actress...but that the character in The Reader has even more to offer--it's soooo much more complex. Do we know yet if The Reader is still scheduled for release this year?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I hadn't liked Angelina in anything since Gia either until I saw A Mighty Heart, but there is no way she is going to win another Oscar anytime soon. A nomination maybe, but not a win.

On the other hand here is nothing that says Kate Winslet will win either just because she will be getting her sixth nomination - if Paul Newman, Geraldine Page and Al Pacino had to wait for number eight and eight still wasn't good enough for Peter O'Toole then six is nothing, besides which Meryl Streep will getting her 15th nomination, her 11th since her second win and will likely be seen as the more "owed".

Ah, if only they gave these things out strictly on the basis of performance....
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

jack wrote:If Winslet wins this year, I hope DiCaprio wins to.
I've read the book and Winslet's character is very well-written. There is potential for a lot of material for her to sink her teeth into.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Clint Eastwood won't win another Oscar. He's had his fill. Lets not ponder.

If Winslet wins this year, I hope DiCaprio wins to.

Edited By jack on 1219449786
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I haven't liked Angelina Jolie on-screen in anything since 'Gia' and so I didn't even bother to check out 'A Mighty Heart' even though I've heard she's not bad in it. I'm the one who thinks that A) 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is the best movie of the decade, and B) if 'Million Dollar Baby' hadn't come out, then Imelda Staunton would've won the Globe and both she and Bening would've lost to Winslet at the Screen Actor's Guild, leading a clear path for Kate Winslet to win. Nothing against Hilary Swank but that was a moment and I wanted to have happen at the Kodak.

That being said, 'Million Dollar Baby' is an unassuming film whose Oscar wins probably tarnished its legacy more than bolstered it. It's a lovely movie with three lovely performances. Clint Eastwood's "Oscar-whoring" is resultant of apex craftsmanship impeccably released and pushed, even though 'Gran Torino' looks painful.

Becoming increasingly convinced as it heads to more and more festivals that 'Happy-Go-Lucky' cannot be dismissed.

Edited By Sabin on 1219449548
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”