MSN - It's Never Too Early for Oscar

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

When are they going to make a film adaptation of Middlesex? Is Hilary Swank available? :p
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Honestly, i hope Kate Winslet's not going to win for Revolutionary Road, but for The Reader (at 2010 Oscars)... I was present at the shooting of the film and i can say that it is one the best performance ever.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:I have just had some troubles imagining her in the role. I'm sure she'll be wonderful as the Goddess she is, but I can't help think that the original casting of Nicole Kidman would've made more sense. Hannah is not a very likable character. In fact, she's downright unappealing. Kidman has the icy, aloof, heartlessness that the role requires.
This is why I'm glad Winslet got the role after Kidman had to leave the project; without spoiling it, I think it's important that the actress playing the role be able to seem somewhat sympathic; as much as Hannah can be horrifying, she's also a tragic character: I was reading the final pages on the L train coming home from work and I nearly burst into tears.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
jack wrote:If Winslet wins this year, I hope DiCaprio wins to.

I've read the book and Winslet's character is very well-written. There is potential for a lot of material for her to sink her teeth into.

Flipp, I believe you've also read The Reader; personally, I was a bit underwhelmed by Revolutionary Road (the book), though I agree that Winslet's character has a lot to offer the actress...but that the character in The Reader has even more to offer--it's soooo much more complex. Do we know yet if The Reader is still scheduled for release this year?

Penelope, I think you're onto something WRT Kate's character in The Reader. Like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, it is something she's never done before and could definitely get her some much-deserved awards attention. I've just had some trouble imagining her in the role. I'm sure she'll be wonderful as the Goddess she is, but I can't help think that the original casting of Nicole Kidman would've made more sense. Hannah is not a very likable character. In fact, she's downright unappealing. Kidman has the icy, aloof, heartlessness that the role requires. Alongside her performance in Revolutionary Road (which, btw, April Wheeler is is only similar to Sarah in Little Children in the most shallow and surface-y sense), it will certainly show how much range Kate has.

On the other hand, I could definitely see La Winslet becoming the new Geraldine Page, always nominated, always dependably brilliant, but losing out time and again until she's older and practically on her deathbed.

Edited By flipp525 on 1219616979
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. So, not talk per se, but I'm getting tired of them being in movies. Every other action movie seems to have Nic Cage or Jason Statham in it. I'm tired of seeing them.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1219614364
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

People just lust after Jason Statham.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

People actually talk about Jason Statham? And who still talks about Nicolas Cage?

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1219611994
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Streep wouldn't offer a puppy a biscuit. No offense, while I like some of her stuff, I'm sick to death of seeing her everywhere. I don't think she's the greatest actress of this generation. I think her best days are behind her. Right now, it just seems like she's pushing for Oscar nods. I feel about her like I feel about Clint. I like them for the most part, but am getting sick of hearing about them. (I was getting sick of Woody way back when he was getting his record-setting nominations way back when).

Others I am tired of hearing about (and not just in awards talk) are: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Will Smith, Nicolas Cage, Jason Statham, Ron Howard, Jack Black and I could go on, but I'll stop there.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:But did George C. Scott specify who he felt should win in his place? I don't think he did, which is dirty pool. Meryl doesn't need to be specific, but she could hint, "Vote for that Goddess woman who onced sailed on a big ship...."

:p

LOL! What about an Ex Aequo with the female boxer?

Ha! La Streep has better taste than that!
Do you really think La Streep will dare to offer her deserved award? Ha ! Not in this life!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:But did George C. Scott specify who he felt should win in his place? I don't think he did, which is dirty pool. Meryl doesn't need to be specific, but she could hint, "Vote for that Goddess woman who onced sailed on a big ship...."

Ha! La Streep has better taste than that!

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Edited By Hustler on 1219609121
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

But did George C. Scott specify who he felt should win in his place? I don't think he did, which is dirty pool. Meryl doesn't need to be specific, but she could hint, "Vote for that Goddess woman who onced sailed on a big ship...."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

More Candice Bergen or Bill Cosby who refused to be considered for Emmy nominations than Ving Rhames who merely wanted to share his win with Jack Lemmon, but it doesn't work with the Oscars. Remember George C. Scott?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:No, no. See, I'm a spread-the-wealth kind of guy. I know actors are too egotistical to do such a thing, but wouldn't it be nice if Streep were nominated against a lineup of previously-nominated-but-never-won nominees and graciously said, "No, I already have two, give to somebody else."
LOL! A la Ving Rhames? It seems to be impossible dude! Anyway, I would be glad if she wins another time. As time goes by I like her more and more.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

But, yeah, I can think of several actress that need to win their first Oscar before Streep gets her third--aside from The Goddess, how about... Glenn Close.
Where is she? I mean, what´s she doing? Damages on TV. As for Sunset Boulevard, it was postponed and rumor has it that Barbra Streisand would be the lead.

Edited By Hustler on 1219599033

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”