2008 Cannes Line-Up

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

An article I read at Yahoo! news said that special jury prizes went to Eastwood for The Changeling and Catherine Deneuve, who was featured in two films in competition this year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, I don't know what I'm talking about...
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

PALME D'Or
"The Class," directed by Laurent Cantet

GRAND PRIZE
"Gomorra," directed by Matteo Garrone

BEST DIRECTOR
Nuri Bilge Ceylan, for "Three Monkeys"

BEST SCREENPLAY
Jean-Pierre et Luc Dardenne, "Lorna's Silence"

BEST ACTOR
Benicio Del Toro, in "Che"

BEST ACTRESS
Sandra Corveloni, in "Linha de Passe"

CAMERA D'OR
Hunger by Steve McQueen

CAMERA D'OR SPECIAL MENTION
Everybody Dies But Me by Valeria Gaï Guermanika

BEST SHORT FILM
Megatron by Marian Crisan

SHORT FILM SPECIAL MENTION
Jerrycan by Julius Avery
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Director went to Nuri Bilge Ceylan for Three Monkeys; another unanimous decision. (Same source as the Palme.)

Edited By dws1982 on 1211740906
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Awards Daily is saying that:

Laurent Cantet's The Class unanimously won the Palme D'Or. (This comes from an AFP source.)

Benicio Del Toro and Sandra Corveloni won Actor/Actress. (They don't have an official source on this yet.)

Edited By dws1982 on 1211740892
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

CANNES -- Crowning an enthusiastic reception when it first screened at Cannes, Sergei Dvortsevoi's "Tulpan," a Kazakhstan-set tale of a lovelorn wanna shepherd, won the top Un Certain Regard Prix.
In further kudos, announced Saturday evening at Cannes, Kiyoshi Kurosawa's family-on-the-slide drama "Tokyo Sonata" took the Jury Prize, while German Andreas Dresen's "Cloud 9," about a 60-year-old wife's sudden love-at first sight), nabbed a Coup de Coeur (literally, "Heartthrob") award.

"Tyson," James Toback's sympathetic profile of the legendary but troubled pugilist, took an aptly entitle Un Certain Regard K.O. Prize.

"It was a huge journey. When we started it was only Mike and I and it was almost like making a home video," Toback commented, accepting his award.

Jean-Stephane Sauvaire's "Johnny Mad Dog," about African child soldiers, won the Prix de L'Espoir - a prize for hope.

Jury had been briefed to give three prizes. But "Given the high quality and richness of the selection, the Un Certain Regard jury asked permission from the Cannes Festival to grant two supplementary awards," said Un Certain Regard jury president, German helmer Fatih Akin ("The Edge of Heaven").

The Uncertain Regard prize is sponsored by the Groupama-Gan Cinema Foundation.

And the winners are:

UN CERTAIN REGARD PRIZE

"Tulpan" (Sergei Dvortsevoi, Kazakhstan, Russia, Switzerland-Poland-Germany)

JURY PRIZE

"Tokyo Sonata," (Kurosawa Kiyoshi, Japan-Netherlands)

JURY COUP DE COEUR

"Cloud 9," (Andreas Dresen, Germany)

UN CERTAIN REGARD K.O

"Tyson," (James Toback, U.S.)

PRIX DE L'ESPOIR

"Johnny Mad Dog," (Jean-Stephane Sauvaire, France-Liberia- Belgium)
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

CANNES -- Homing in on three films which have played to often upbeat reactions at Cannes, the FIPRESCI Intl. Federation of Film Critics announced awards Saturday for "Delta," "Hunger" and "Eldorado."
FIPRESCI plaudits go to one outstanding film in Cannes Competition, Un Certain Regard and either Directors' Fortnight or Critics' Week.

Hungarian helmer Kornel Mundruczo's fourth feature, Competition contender "Delta" portrays a finally incestuous siblings relationship played out to tragedy in the wilds of a river delta.

A buzz title even before it was officially selected to open Un Certain Regard, Brit rookie Steve McQueen's "Hunger," about a 1981 IRA hunger strike, was one of a bevy of titles acquired by IFC for the U.S.

An off-beat road movie through Belgium, Belgian Bouli Lanner's "Eldorado" already nabbed two sponsors' prizes in Cannes Directors' Fortnight- the French government's Regards Jeunes and Europa Cinemas awards.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:How do you know that Changeling is "apolitical" without having seen even it? A film's political relevance can reveal itself to be as subtle as any of its other themes.
From what little I've read about the Eastwood movie, it does indeed take on the political and social forces in 1928 Los Angeles.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

How do you know that Changeling is "apolitical" without having seen even it? A film's political relevance can reveal itself to be as subtle as any of its other themes.

Edited By flipp525 on 1211671970
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

...but for what? 'Changeling' is apolitical and Sean Penn has stated that he demands political relevance from his film.

Best Director but no Palme. Poor motherfucker.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

So Sean Penn heading the jury is an obvious factor to discard an eventual victory by Eastwood?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Palme is going to one of three: 'Un Conte de Noel', 'Waltz with Bashir', or 'Che'. Guaranteed. The jury is being headed by Sean Penn and he wants a politically-charged film that speaks about the world. I think that means that Desplechin is out, delegated either to the Grand Prix or (more likely in my mind) Best Director or Best Screenplay. Maybe Best Actor if Mathieu Amalric worship trumps Del Toro's.

'Che' is being described as a mixed bag, apolitical, but daring and Sean Penn might want to support that. On the other hand, 'Waltz with Bashir' is an animated film about an Israeli soldier's guilt over his actions in the '82 massacre. It's overtly political and bleeding heart apparently and animation celebrity Marjane Satrapi is on the Jury. On Glenn Kenny, he predicts a Palme victory of 'Waltz with Bashir' over 'Che'. I'm not so sure. The last time the Palme was split between two films was in '97 when the hotly political 'Taste of Cherry' won alongside Imamura's 'The Eel'. I wouldn't be surprised to see the both of them win but I'm going to play predictions fair:

(I'm including an and/or as both runner up or a tandem win)

Palme d'Or - Che
(and/or Waltz with Bashir)

Grand Prix - Waltz with Bashir
(and/or Un Conte de Noel)

Jury Prize - Il Dovo
(and/or Three Monkeys)

Best Actor - Benicio Del Toro, Che
(and/or Mathieu Amalric, Un Conte de Noel)

Best Actress - the lead actress from 'Three Monkeys'
(and/or Angelina Jolie, Changeling)

Best Director - Clint Eastwood, Changeling
(and/or Arnaud Desplechin, Un Conte de Noel)

Best Screenplay - Un Conte de Noel
(and/or Charlie Kaufman, Schynedochokerokhe, New York)

Technical Grand Prize - Blindness
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Julianne Moore looks like she's wearing the black smoke from LOST as a boa in that Cannes pic.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Maybe I'm not seeing them but Fernando Meirelles's Blindness, Laurent Cantent's Entre les murs and Zhang Ke Jia's Er shi si cheng ji are also up for the Golden Palm.

The Blindness opened the festival. The film, symbolic as the original Jose Saramago's book it is based on, deals with an epidemic of sudden "white blindness". The cast includes Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Gale García Bernal. The film, apparently, was well received, with a final standing ovation that last around 5 minutes or so... Here's a review from CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories....2.shtml
However, the critics after its opening hasn't been quite good. Variety's is mixed and overall there is a feeling of disappointment. I hope this not to be true...

Variety's take on Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kauffman's directorial debut) seems mixed at best. Todd McCarthys called it "wildly ambitious and gravely serious contemplation of life, love, art, human decay and death" but at the same time he states that the film "will intrigue Kaufman's most loyal fans but put off fair-weather friends on the art house circuit, where a venturesome distrib will have its work cut out for it to move the film commercially beyond cult status". Don't know how was the reaction at the festival...

Arnaud Desplechin's Un Conte de Noël, with the exception of Variety's, has received only good to great revies... so far I've seen. The LA Times (voiced by Kenneth Turan) even says this might be the first french film to win the Palm D'Or in 20 years(However, guess this could be discussed, wasn't Rosetta a half french production?).

I know Gomorra opened in wide in Italy two days before his monday exhibiton at Cannes. Hopefully, Italiano might give us a good review of it. Apparently, is a well made film.

However, the best reviews overall I've read are those about Changeling, Clint Eastwood's new film. I mean, this is already an Oscar contender, we must bet on it. Almost every element of the film has been praised. Eastwood's going to be remembered for this late period of artistic achievements... amazing, one after the other...

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1211666821
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Desplechin remade A Christmas Story???
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”