Early Contender Line-Up

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

OscarGuy wrote:The whole Synecdoche spelling issue (and pronunciation issue) is worth a few jokes, no?

Especially if you pronounce it "Sign-a-Douche."

Edited By Greg on 1207074095
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

The city in New York upon which the play on words is based, Schenectady, is at least as tricky.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:I was trying to be funny. The whole Synecdoche spelling issue (and pronunciation issue) is worth a few jokes, no?
I'd base my whole routine on that material.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:What goes through your mind as you're writing a post like that? I'm just curious.
I was trying to be funny. The whole Synecdoche spelling issue (and pronunciation issue) is worth a few jokes, no?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What goes through your mind as you're writing a post like that? I'm just curious.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:cache

I'm surprised this article made no mention of Syndenoche, New York which I think will be fairly popular with the critics and writers.
A cache is a place to hide things. Cachet is probably the word you're looking for. ;)

And they probably didn't include Syn because they couldn't spell it. I know I can't and I'm pretty sure you didn't.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Looks like it's going to be another dark year. The Road and Blindness feature some of the most depressing and horrific post-apocolyptic images I've encountered in contemporary fiction. In fact, they both have the potential to make Children of Men look like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Julianne Moore's character in Blindness has definite awards potential. And I assume that Charlize with play the mother of the Man and the Boy in flashbacks in The Road.

Call me totally uninformed, but I'm not familiar with the premise of Frost/Nixon at all.

I just started Revolutionary Road and it's really good.

The Changeling has the potential to sweep. Clint Eastwood can now be considered one of the great giants of directing and with a cast that includes Angelina Jolie, Tilda Swinton, Amy Ryan and John Malkovich, you almost can't go wrong. Add to that a period look and real-life true story cachet. Looks like next year could be a power-couple nomination year for Brangelina.

I'm surprised this article made no mention of Syndenoche, New York which I think will be fairly popular with the critics and writers.

Edited By flipp525 on 1207067940
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those suffering from severe Oscar withdrawal: a Variety piece about assorted potential contenders and when we'll be seeing them. (Needless to say, all post-summer)

2008 awards season shaping up
Contenders lock in fall release dates
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

The 2008 awards season is starting to take early shape as potential contenders lock in fall release dates.
The latest is Universal and Imagine's "Frost/Nixon," from director Ron Howard, which will open Dec. 5 in an exclusive run before expanding, U announced Monday.

The film, based on Peter Morgan's play re-creating David Frost's famous TV interviews with Richard Nixon, stars Michael Sheen and Frank Langella.

U and Spyglass will open "Flash of Genius," based on the real-life story of the Detroit engineer who claimed the auto industry stole his idea for the intermittent windshield wiper, on Oct. 25. Greg Kinnear, Lauren Graham and Dermot Mulroney star.

While all five of last season's Oscar best picture contenders came from studio specialty units, the studios themselves could have a bigger awards presence this go-around. "Frost/Nixon" is followed a week later, on Dec. 12, by Sony's Will Smith drama "Seven Pounds," from "Pursuit of Happyness" director Gabrielle Muccino.

Specialty arms aren't planning on taking a back seat, however, even if they haven't dated all of their fall films.

The Coen brothers' next movie, "Burn After Reading," and Keira Knightley-Ralph Fiennes starrer "The Duchess" both open on Sept. 12. Miramax will open "Burn After Reading" wide, while Paramount Vantage will take "Duchess" out in a limited run.

The next week, on Sept. 19, Miramax opens Fernando Meirelles' "Blindness," starring Gael Garcia Bernal, Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo, in limited release.

United Artists and MGM debut Bryan Singer's Tom Cruise starrer "Valkyrie" on Oct. 3; the film was originally scheduled to open in June but was pushed back to shoot a key battle scene, as well as better position it for an awards run. It is currently set to open wide.

Warners will bow Ridley Scott's Leonardo DiCaprio-Russell Crowe starrer "Body of Lies," another awards contender, on Oct. 10.

Twentieth Century Fox debuts Baz Luhrmann's Hugh Jackman-Nicole Kidman epic "Australia" on Nov. 14.

On Nov. 26, the Weinstein Co. is set to open John Hillcoat's "The Road," starring Charlize Theron, Viggo Mortensen and Guy Pearce.

Dec. 19 will see two awards contenders open: Paramount Vantage and DreamWorks' "Revolutionary Road" and Paramount's "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Directed by Sam Mendes, "Revolutionary Road" reteams Kate Winslet and DiCaprio for the first time since "Titanic." It's unclear whether the pic will open wide or in a limited run.

Par intends to take David Fincher's "Benjamin Button," starring Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton, wide.

A number of possible awards contenders have yet to be dated, including DreamWorks' "The Soloist," Universal's "The Changeling," Vantage's "Defiance," Fox Searchlight's "The Secret Life of Bees," Miramax's "Doubt" and two films from Focus: "Milk" and "The Argentine." The Weinstein Co. also hasn't dated "Shanghai" and "The Reader."

Elsewhere on the master release calendar, Universal said it will release Tony Gilroy's Julia Roberts-Clive Owen starrer "Duplicity" on March 20, 2009, and Kevin Macdonald's "State of Play" on April 17, 2009.

And Warner Bros. has decided to keep the release dates planned for the first three New Line films it will distribute in the wake of the downsizing of that former mini-major.

Warners will open New Line's "Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo" on April 25; "Sex and the City" on May 30; and "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D" on July 11. Warners did not go beyond these three titles in terms of release plans for New Line's slate, which it is now in charge of distributing.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”