8%
Michael Shannon - Nocturnal Animals
13%

Total votes: 24

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Supporting Actor 2016

Post by nightwingnova »

Lucas Hedges was real fine. He and Casey Affleck were the center of Manchester by the Sea and carried it.

As I've noted, Mahershala Ali gave the richest and most original of the male performances in Moonlight. As for the other fine actors in the movie, Andre Holland was excellent but didn't have much to do. Trevante Holland did fine with what he had, but his character made no sense. A repressed loner gay managing drug runners? It's not plausible to me that he could survive as long as he had from his performance. He doesn't put on a tough guy act with a beard on the side. He's an introverted, repressed loner with seemingly no friends. So it's Ali for me.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Tons of strong candidates this year, but I probably most wish that some of the other Moonlight guys -- André Holland and Trevante Rhodes -- had gotten some attention somewhere.

Shannon was best in show among the Nocturnal Animals cast, so if someone had to be nominated from that vile thing, better it be him than Taylor-Johnson. At this point, though, I do wonder if Shannon will ever play someone who isn't a total weirdo -- that's pretty much his thing, isn't it?

I'd have probably cited Patel in lead mainly because, once he takes over the movie, he so thoroughly dominates it's hard to argue he's supporting anyone. (And yet, given that he's entirely absent from the film's first hour, I can certainly hear the argument that, in terms of screen time, it's a smallish part by typical lead standards.) Either way, I thought Lion was a big step up for him from Slumdog/Marigold as an actor, if not enough to choose him as a winner.

When I saw Moonlight, I thought Ali gave a strong performance in a film full of them -- he's such a solid presence in the first third of the movie, you feel his absence once he disappears from it. But I can't say I found him enough of an individual standout to understand his sweep through the critics' prizes, so although I was perfectly fine with his win, I'll vote elsewhere.

Hedges's breakthrough was one of the year's most memorable, and Manchester by the Sea wouldn't have worked without his simultaneously cocky and wounded, funny and heartbroken performance. He's a perfect scene partner for Affleck, though I'd probably want to see what else he could do before voting him an Oscar.

I realize that the role of a grizzled Texas lawman is the kind of part Jeff Bridges could play in his sleep. But I found his Hell or High Water work to be one of his finest performances -- just because the part fits him like a glove doesn't mean he doesn't do interesting things with it. Had he not been taken care of with his career Oscar a few years back, I imagine this could have been a very popular place to reward him. He gets my vote.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:Why the fuck are we doing these already for this year?
Yeah, why the rush? Can't we slow down a tad?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Why the fuck are we doing these already for this year?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:
bizarre wrote:At first glance this is a fascinating lineup for its inclusion of two men under 30 - a rarity in this category - with Lucas Hedges (20 at the time of his nomination but 18-19 during production) giving the first teenager's performance to be nominated here since DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
Coincidentally, a film written (both novel and the screenplay) by Lucas Hedges' father, Peter Hedges (who also got Oscar-nominated for writing the About a Boy Screenplay).
Peter Hedges co-wrote About a Boy with the Weitz brothers whose mother, Susan Kohner, was a Supporting Actress nominee when I was a teenager and whose grandmother, Lupita Tovar, was featured in the In Memoriam segment.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

bizarre wrote:At first glance this is a fascinating lineup for its inclusion of two men under 30 - a rarity in this category - with Lucas Hedges (20 at the time of his nomination but 18-19 during production) giving the first teenager's performance to be nominated here since DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
Coincidentally, a film written (both novel and the screenplay) by Lucas Hedges' father, Peter Hedges (who also got Oscar-nominated for writing the About a Boy Screenplay).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like all of this year's nominees, but as with Best Actress, I'm playing makeup winner here.

I've been a Jeff Bridges fan forever, but I was not a big fan of his Oscar win for Crazy Heart. His performance in Hell or High Water is the one that should have gotten him his career Oscar.
bizarre
Assistant

Best Supporting Actor 2016

Post by bizarre »

At first glance this is a fascinating lineup for its inclusion of two men under 30 - a rarity in this category - with Lucas Hedges (20 at the time of his nomination but 18-19 during production) giving the first teenager's performance to be nominated here since DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

He's very good - he's a more expressive vocal performer than most of the other actors nominated this year, delivering Lonergan dialogue as if Kenny himself taught him to speak, and adds interesting shading to his character, modelling his body language choices on Affleck's while on the vocal front acting as counterpoint. He makes it clear how deeply Patrick has shaped his life in homage to the uncle he was obsessed with as a kid. A great performance and promising debut.

The other young'un here is Dev Patel, giving a starkly mature, sensitive and credibly Australian performance in Lion (and vindicating misplaced awards interest in him for his blank-eyed performance in Slumdog Millionaire 8 years prior) that I think few expected of him. A worthy nominee, though arguably a category carpetbagger. He gets my vote here.

Bridges adequately does the cool-Grandpa shtick he's settled into in his old age, but this time he makes it racist. I preferred his costar Ben Foster, the most authentically Texan thing about the film and a perfect portrayal of a very specific kind of Dixieland working-class straight, peppered with exactly the right amount of fey.

The stalwart Shannon was also overshadowed in his own film - for the worse this time - by the irritating Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who came out of nowhere to net a Globes win and BAFTA nomination though never seemed like a credible threat for the Oscar nom. Shannon himself was something of a surprise, but solid, worthy and a sense-making ballot pick.

Ali was a surprising kernel for a surprising consensus - he's very good as a likable character, focus of one of the first half's most moving scenes, but he's only present in the film's first third and, again, outgunned by his own male costars - André Holland, Ashton Sanders and Trevante Rhodes, the latter two of whom reflect Ali's performance in ways more impressive than Ali's actual performance. Rhodes in particular is groundbreaking, giving one of the best performances of the year, and watching the film you feel like he could easily be nominated and win - but maybe two young nominees is enough, with Patel having an established career and Hedges being, well, white, and perhaps voters felt uncomfortable picking a favourite out of the three Chirons.

Other also-rans were Hugh Grant - my prediction and a slightly surprising omission - for Florence Foster Jenkins, though it's a lead role as well as bubble contenders like Ralph Fiennes (A Bigger Splash), Tom Bennett (Love & Friendship), Alden Ehrenreich (Hail, Caesar!), John Goodman (10 Cloverfield Lane), Peter Sarsgaard (Jackie) and Timothy Spall (Denial). I personally thought that Vince Vaughn - with a featured role in Hacksaw Ridge that unfortunately made Hollywood start paying attention to him again - could net a surprise nomination. Lastly, while longstanding predictions for Adam Driver and Liam Neeson pre-release never paid off, Silence ended up giving its best supporting roles to two Japanese actors - Yōsuke Kubozuka and Issey Ogata, an enfant terrible and venerated comic institution at home, respectively, with some pundits thinking Ogata (who received a runner-up citation at LAFCA), could spoil.

Trevante Rhodes - who, I expect, will go like Channing Tatum and become a movie star without revisiting the incredible verve of his breakthrough - is my pick for the year.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”