67%
Sylvester Stallone - Creed
13%

Total votes: 30

CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Best Supporting Actor 2015

Post by CalWilliam »

The most crowded field this year turned out to be the most pleasant outcome as far as I’m concerned. Of those left off, I’d like to say that, admittedly, Idris Elba and Michael Keaton deserved the nomination, specially considering that Tom Hardy made the cut due to appearing in the year’s two most nominated films. While there’s nothing qualitatively bad in his performance it’s virtually one-note nevertheless, and that final fight scene between him and DiCaprio is borderline laughable and I don’t think that’s Leo’s fault. He doesn’t get my vote.

I’m fine with Christian Bale in general as an actor -he was very good in The Machinist and specially in American Psycho- but in The Big Short he falls into unbearable territory. Solid acting, but full of gimmicks and tics that don’t appeal to me in the slightest. The result is almost annoying, and the best performance in that movie was Steve Carell.

It’s true that, as it often occurs, the showiest performance in an ensemble piece is nominated, which is the case of Mark Ruffalo, who doesn’t care to make a weird impression throughout his scenes, as if he were acting in a completely different movie. I don’t dislike his performance, but in the end it feels extremely calculated.

I don’t moan too much about Stallone’s citation. He has quite a few honest moments in Creed, but it’s true that his foreseen victory would have been ridiculous, and for once, the Academy made an utterly distinguished choice with Mark Rylance, who owned Bridge of Spies despite limited screentime and almost disappearing the second half. Anyway, he’s great in every gesture and delivery and one should be thankful for the Academy recognizing this kind of turn, which rarely wins anymore. I loved his character creation, a wonderful, very subtle and –I’d dare say- moving performance, and probably, among my top ten winners in this category. His victory made my night.
Last edited by CalWilliam on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
CalWilliam
Temp

Best Supporting Actor 2015

Post by CalWilliam »

With Magilla's consent, it's turn for this year's main categories, one per week. This is fresh, so it'll be interesting to discuss.

Who is the best supporting actor?
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”