The Reader

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dreaMaker wrote:The film is still in the editing room, but the latest version i ve seen is a masterpiece... Without any doubt...
well, based on that alone i am removing CHANGELING from best picture and all other categories except actress, and THE READER is going in its place.

best picture
supporting actress
director
screenplay
set
costume
score

lead actor and editing are also possibilities.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I want to hear far more from dreaMaker.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While I could see Kristin Scott Thomas as a factor, I think it's too early to close the door on Kate Winslet. Even if her performance in Revolutionary Road isn't as show-boaty as DiCaprios, this will be another feather in her cap of nominations and being one of the youngest actress to receive so many, they may finally be willing to overlook their past decisions and give her the award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:In the meantime if I were a betting man I'd put my money on Kristin Scott Thomas in I've Loved You So Long.

Would they give it to a ''foreign'' film performance two years running??

But then Thomas, being a Brit, is known more for her english language films so she probably has a shot at it.
If dreaMaker is correct and The Reader is a masterpiece and Winslet despite the Harvey hate starts winning year-end best actress awards all bets are off, but here's the case for Kristin Scott Thomas (whose last name, by the way is Scott or Scott Thomas, not Thomas):

1. Unless Winslet or someone else comes out of the woodwork at the 11th hour, she's the critical favorite going into the year-end awards.

2. Her performance appeals evenly to the audience that split last year between Julie Christie and that little known French actress whose name I've already forgotten.

3. She's currently winning raves for her Broadway role in The Seagull, which always helps.

4. She's relatively well known in Hollywood for her work, but not her personal life, which is to say she doesn't have any enemies there.

5. Oscar loves to break its own records, so after waiting 33 years to give an Oscar to an actress in a foreign language film (Sophia Loren in two Women) and 46 more to give out a second one (last year) giving the third one out just a year after the second would be good for Oscar's world-wide image, especially if Scott Thomas' performance is truly the best of the year.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm incredibly jealous.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:
Sabin wrote:Has anybody seen this movie at all?

I have.. :)

seriously? ???

is it any good? should we be excited for it, or will it be a disappointment like BLINDNESS and CHANGELING (according to critics) turned out to be?
The film is still in the editing room, but the latest version i ve seen is a masterpiece... Without any doubt...
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dreaMaker wrote:

seriously? ???

is it any good? should we be excited for it, or will it be a disappointment like BLINDNESS and CHANGELING (according to critics) turned out to be?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The category should be Supporting (the studio) Actress/Actor.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Has anybody seen this movie at all? Do we know her allotted amount of time?

We *know* that it's categorical slumming b/c of a high-profile dispute between two asshole producers who have seemingly reached a compromise to stay out of each others' way. It's just too convenient for it not to be. What we don't know is if it's justified categorical slumming, and whether or not such a move is as akin to atrocity like Casey Affleck or Jake Gyllenhaal for Supporting.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dreaMaker wrote:And Kate Winslet' performance is more leading than both Meryl Streep' and Forest Whitaker'..

I agree that on the page, you can make a very strong case that Hanna is the lead in this story. What I don't understand (and this seems to be happening a lot on this board in various threads) is this firm declaration that her performance is a lead performance, sight unseen. I think making such definitive statements should be reserved for those who've actually seen the film and can judge the breadth of Winslet's performance on the basis of that experience.

Edited By flipp525 on 1224869145
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Kate Winslet is nothing but a leading role in this film...
Come on, Meryl Streep was nominated for a LEADING role in Devil Wears Prada, and Forest Whitaker won an Oscar as a leading actor in The Last King of Scotland.. However, they were more supporting but leading. However, their performances were strong enough to take themselves as leading ones..
And Kate Winslet' performance is more leading than both Meryl Streep' and Forest Whitaker'..
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:In the meantime if I were a betting man I'd put my money on Kristin Scott Thomas in I've Loved You So Long.
Would they give it to a ''foreign'' film performance two years running??

But then Thomas, being a Brit, is known more for her english language films so she probably has a shot at it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think slumming is the wrong word. If it were Winslet insisting on the placement for own self-promotion, it would indeed be slumming, but this is all Harvey.

Given that Winslet's husband is the director of her "other" film, it is more likely that Winslet would probably prefer to be nominated for that film if she even thinks about these things. However, early word is that DiCaprio is the standout in Revolutionary Road, so it may not even be an issue. On the other hand, Harvey's Oscar whoring for The Reader is so blatant it leaves such a foul taste in everyone's mouth that unless it bowls over critics and audiences like nothing since (fill in the blank) it may not be nominated for anything and Winslet may have to wait for that hard to get sixth nomination that should put her in the winner's circle when she does get it.

In the meantime if I were a betting man I'd put my money on Kristin Scott Thomas in I've Loved You So Long.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

ITALIANO wrote:It's definitely a leading role.
they should just change the name of the categories from lead and supporting actor/actress to primary and secondary actor/actress. jake gyllenhaal was not "supporting" heath ledger in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, but apparently he was the secondary character. i am not sure if that is because he bottomed in the tent-fuck scene or what, but "supporting" is no longer an accurate description of the category.

i am just happy goddess kate will (most likely) be nominated for lead and supporting this year.

Return to “2008”