The Reader

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

And, in the same theme, she's actually criticized magazines that airbrushed out her curves in the past.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I agree, barry. It seems that's all the press can talk about in relation with Kate--it's the hook; but, it's worth noting that she is very inspiring to women who aren't skeletally thin. Admittedly, I prefer the more zaftig, Titanic era Kate, who reminded me so much of Elizabeth Taylor circa Butterfield 8--sexy and curvy.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I love how she's had to refute any airbrushing. It's ridiculous that she was once known as "chunky", and that forever she will live that in the press. She has always been beautiful, transformative, and sensuous. Now if she'll just do a movie with Julianne Moore, I'll be all set! (and of course, if they can both get Oscars,)
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

.....and so slim!
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

She looks like Sharon Stone in Bobby.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OMG. The Goddess looks gorgeous!!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

barrybrooks8 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Has anybody thought there's a chance that if the lineup is lackluster enough, Kate Winslet could conceivably win both?

Actually, I said that before, but as most of the things I say around here, it was ignored.
I am with you :)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:If Kate Winslet is campaigned for 'The Reader', she'll probably be nominated. There isn't a clear front-runner in that category. I can't imagine Penelope Cruz winning for 'Vicky Christina Barcelona', a movie that is fairly warmly regarded but incredibly slight. I've heard great things about Viola Davis and Taraji P. Henson looks phenomenal in the trailer (I know that sounds weird) and could make it in. Marisa Tomei in 'The Wrestler', maybe. Consensus seems to be that Kate Winslet is very likely to procure her sixth and seventh nomination and she's likely to win. Leads in supporting lineups almost always win.

It would be such a pity if Winslet wins the award in the supporting category. She deserves to win her first Oscar in the lead category...whatever the film may be and whenever.
So true...
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Sabin wrote:Has anybody thought there's a chance that if the lineup is lackluster enough, Kate Winslet could conceivably win both?
Actually, I said that before, but as most of the things I say around here, it was ignored.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I have to agree with Reza, and admittedly, that's part of my objection. I want, more than anything (well, not as much as Obama winning the election) for The Great and Glorious Goddess Known to Mere Mortals as Kate Winslet to win a LEAD Oscar. Yeah, I'm a snob. Deal.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It would be such a pity if Winslet wins the award in the supporting category.

I think it would be such a pity if John McCain wins the election and promptly dies of a heart attack and Sarah Palin becomes president on Wednesday. Kate Winslet will be as happy as a clam if she wins an Oscar EVER.

Has anybody thought there's a chance that if the lineup is lackluster enough, Kate Winslet could conceivably win both?
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:If Kate Winslet is campaigned for 'The Reader', she'll probably be nominated. There isn't a clear front-runner in that category. I can't imagine Penelope Cruz winning for 'Vicky Christina Barcelona', a movie that is fairly warmly regarded but incredibly slight. I've heard great things about Viola Davis and Taraji P. Henson looks phenomenal in the trailer (I know that sounds weird) and could make it in. Marisa Tomei in 'The Wrestler', maybe. Consensus seems to be that Kate Winslet is very likely to procure her sixth and seventh nomination and she's likely to win. Leads in supporting lineups almost always win.

It would be such a pity if Winslet wins the award in the supporting category. She deserves to win her first Oscar in the lead category...whatever the film may be and whenever.

Edited By Reza on 1225765138
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Warner Bros. campaigned Leonardo DiCaprio for supporting for 'The Departed' because they had 'Blood Diamond' up as well. He wasn't nominated for two reasons: he's clearly the lead (hasn't stopped at least ten leads from being nominated this decade alone) and he's a movie star. He's also a movie star in a slightly different way than Kate Winslet is. DiCaprio was nominated for 'Blood Diamond' where he had no chance whatsoever of defeating Whitaker, although I believe were he up for 'The Departed' there would be a stronger chance.

If Kate Winslet is campaigned for 'The Reader', she'll probably be nominated. There isn't a clear front-runner in that category. I can't imagine Penelope Cruz winning for 'Vicky Christina Barcelona', a movie that is fairly warmly regarded but incredibly slight. I've heard great things about Viola Davis and Taraji P. Henson looks phenomenal in the trailer (I know that sounds weird) and could make it in. Marisa Tomei in 'The Wrestler', maybe. Consensus seems to be that Kate Winslet is very likely to procure her sixth and seventh nomination and she's likely to win. Leads in supporting lineups almost always win.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, I was sure as of the posting, but obviously this changes things.

I think it is Harvey who is shooting himself in the foot. There is no way a film that concentrates on two characters can be considered to have no leads. The end result is likely that none of the actors will be nominated for this film with Kate getting nominated instead for Revolutionary road in which there is no dispute regarding her lead vs. supporting status.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:The Weinstein Company is promoting Ralph Fiennes as lead, David Kross and Kate Winslet as supporting. It doesn't mean AMPAS voters have to go along with them. Precursors may help resolve the matter.
are you sure about that?

http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2008/10/fiennes-moved-t.html

Fiennes moved to supporting for 'The Reader'

Big movie stars are fleeing the Best Actor race in droves these days. Now comes word that Ralph Fiennes' camp has decided to place him in the Best Supporting Actor category for The Reader. (Astute EW readers will notice that I put Fiennes in the lead-actor column in my Oscar Race feature in this week's issue, out today; I was merely following the Weinstein Co.'s directives, which apparently have been overruled.) Certainly the swap now means Fiennes has a better shot at scoring a nomination: He's said to be excellent in the film, but since he shares his role with newcomer David Kross, he probably lacks the sufficient screen time to make the Best Actor cut.

But moving Fiennes out of lead for The Reader does have a few strange results. For starters, it pretty much renders his fine supporting performance in The Duchess (pictured above) obsolete as far as the Oscar season is concerned, since Academy rules dictate that actors may only receive one nomination per category. And with his costar Kate Winslet currently set to be campaigned as Best Supporting Actress for the film, the movie now has no lead-acting contenders at all. The Academy usually lets that fly for an ensemble film like Babel or Crash; will they accept it for a three-hander like The Reader?

What do you all think of this? Is Fiennes shooting himself in the foot by competing against himself? Or is he making the smart move by banking on his Holocaust-themed movie for an Oscar nod?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “2008”