The Reader

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not often. I haven't read the book nor obviously seen the film so I don't have an opinion as to whether this is one of those "either or" performances that could fit in either category but that trailer sure does make her look like a lead.

If, however, her story is almost completely shown in flashbacks with young David Kross, who has no hope of being elevated to lead, and has one brief, perhaps even non-speaking part opposite Fiennes at the end, then the argument in favor of making her a supporting player isn't all that far-fetched even if her placement is based on Oscar strategy by old Harvey.

I would like to know, though, what dreMaker has to say about the positioning now that he's seen the finished film. His previous comment was based on the rough cut.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:The Weinstein Company is promoting Ralph Fiennes as lead, David Kross and Kate Winslet as supporting. It doesn't mean AMPAS voters have to go along with them. Precursors may help resolve the matter.
But they will...how often do they go against what the studio is pushing?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Weinstein Company is promoting Ralph Fiennes as lead, David Kross and Kate Winslet as supporting. It doesn't mean AMPAS voters have to go along with them. Precursors may help resolve the matter.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Having watched the trailer today, while it certainly looks fascinating, I would say there is an easy case to be made for Winslet's character to be supporting. Screen time isn't the only qualification of a supporting description. From this from, while it doesn't look like Fiennes would be lead either, it seems that the story is his since he's telling it in flashback. So, perhaps his younger self is the only lead.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That's who I mean. One of the funniest people on the planet.

Jesus Christ, you guys really need to stop talking about this. Wait until you've seen the movie. You'll just end up talking yourselves blue for months. It's like this election.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sabin wrote:
i would say it is david cross, who plays young michael.

That would probably be the one thing that would get me more interested in this film. If David Cross was in it.
I hear he plays the never-nude Nazi very well!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:

That would probably be the one thing that would get me more interested in this film. If David Cross was in it.
sorry. david kross...with a k.

is this who you mean sabin?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189144/
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Penelope wrote:Well, rolo, I'd rather Kate not be nominated at all than be nominated in the wrong category.
blasphemy! :angry:

:laugh:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, rolo, I'd rather Kate not be nominated at all than be nominated in the wrong category.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Penelope wrote:
paperboy wrote:Fiennes is definitely going Supporting as well. Does this make 'The Reader' the first non-ensemble film with no discernible lead?

There IS a discernable lead; it's just that Harvey wants us to believe that the leading lady is actually supporting, which is utterly ridiculous.

just from the trailer it seems pretty obvious who the lead is. i would say it is david cross, who plays young michael. at least from the trailer, winslet is supporting his character. there does not seem to be a single scene with her in it that is not from his point of view. he has several scenes on his own, but she only seems to be on the screen when he is involved. even the trial, which is all about her crimes, is literally from his visual perspective.

i think we are all being very bias by assuming the lead of this movie has to be one of the two big name stars. i would say fiennes and winslet are supporting, while cross is lead. this is his movie, his story. fiennes is just there as older michael to be a framing device, like penelope said. hanna is definitely the object the story is about, while michael is the subject. hanna is like the mcguffin hitchcock always talks about. she is the "thing" that drives the movie, but the main character of the story is young michael.

much like another ralph fiennes movie, THE CONSTANT GARDENER, we have a leading lady who will probably be nominated (and possibly even win) in the supporting category. it may not be accurate, but if it means the (let me see if i have this right) goddess known to us mere mortals as kate is nominated twice and wins for at least one...then i am fine with her being nominated in supporting for THE READER.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1225645923
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

You know, it would be funny in Winslet won an oscar for this after that Extras episode.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:If you scroll down, dreaMaker did agree with my statement that Winslet should be considered Lead; and on the second page of this thread, he also says that Fiennes is Supporting.
He's said scant little else though. I'd like to see at least a mini-review of the film from the one person on this board who's purportedly seen it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

If you scroll down, dreaMaker did agree with my statement that Winslet should be considered Lead; and on the second page of this thread, he also says that Fiennes is Supporting.

Based only on the trailer, it seems that Fiennes only appears as a framing device, though he probably has extensive scenes in the final act of the film.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dreaMaker wrote:The trailer is excellent!

The film is a freaking masterpiece.
Well then you need to settle the confusion below if both Fiennes and Winslet are leads or supports.

Return to “2008”