Milk

Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Love Sean and James Franco (no Flipp, he's straight! Let us keep one please!) Robin Williams is obnoxious. What was the last good thing he was even in? Aladdin?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hustler wrote:It would have been a challenging role for Robin Williams.

The Robin Williams of about 12-13 years ago actually looks a lot like Harvey Milk. I can never argue against the casting of Sean Penn in anything, though. He's such a passionate actor. I'm sure he's aware of the importance of this story and he'll give it his all. I'm confident they made a good choice. Whatever gets the movie made, dude.

On the topic of Williams, has anyone ever seen his house on Lake Tahoe? It's this tacky, yellow, French-style palace that doesn't fit in with any of the surrounding houses. It's like he went out of his way to stick out.

Yay! I love the hottie additions to the cast. James Franco seems a little gay to me, but it's mostly just wishful thinking.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196954082
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

newly added to the cast:

josh brolin - assassin dan white

james franco - boyfriend scott smith

emile hirsch - friend cleve jones

i see gus is continuing his tradition of filling his movies with pretty boys...not that i am complaining.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Precious Doll wrote:I remember when this project was first talked about Robin Williams was considered for the role. He's too old now but at the time he would have been the right age. Whilst far from a perfect choice for the role I would have preferred Williams then, than Sean Penn now.
you´re right: It would have been a challenging role for Robin Williams.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:But you just said he was two posts down. "Mildly handsome", to be specific.

Awww...Dennis Kucinich is adorable! He reminds me of a Keebler elf.
right...mildly handsome is a step down from handsome. like the way an A- is a step down from an A. we are talking about a politician here. "handsome" is relative. goldblum is not handsome for a movie star, but milk is mildly handsome for a politician.

ewwww. i agree with all of kucinich's politics, but that man has a face for radio. he does have a hot wife. she must share your elf fetish. :;):
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

But you just said he was two posts down. "Mildly handsome", to be specific.

Awww...Dennis Kucinich is adorable! He reminds me of a Keebler elf.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195578307
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:Perfect except for the fact that Milk wasn't particularly handsome.
neither is goldblum. ???

milk may have not been john edwards or mitt romney handsome (for politicians), but he was not dennis kucinich or john mccain fugly. i would say milk was more like barack obama, a pleasant enough face without actually being attractive...heck, they even have matching ears! :p
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Perfect except for the fact that Milk wasn't particularly handsome.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

in other news, the other harvey milk biopic, THE MAYOR OF CASTRO STREET (much better title), to be directed by bryan singer, will not be made any time too soon. apparently they did not submit a finished script before the writers' strike. personally i am happy about this. we did not need another CAPOT/INFAMOUS duelling biopics. how the hell does this keep happening? the man has been dead for thirty years, and then all of a sudden two studios decide to make a movie about his life. hollywood is just one big pissing contest. :angry:

i know an actor does not have to physically match the person they are playing, but the thing most notable about milk was his height. he was a very exuberant and engaging guy, and his height added to that larger than life persona. penn is only 5'9''. i think a better actor, if they had made the movie when he was the right age, would be jeff goldblum. he is tall, thin, and mildly handsome. he would have been perfect as milk, but unfortunately is too old now.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damon is out (of the film, that is); rumor (unsubstantiated) has it that Mark Wahlberg will be playing Dan White and James Franco will be playing Milk's brother.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:Matt Damon is rumored to be part of the cast.
Those of us hoping for a Penn-Damon love scene will be disappointed: my understanding is that Damon will be playing Dan White.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

it would depend of how much of Milk's life was being covered by the film. If it's only the last few years Paymer could pull it off.

I remember when this project was first talked about Robin Williams was considered for the role. He's too old now but at the time he would have been the right age. Whilst far from a perfect choice for the role I would have preferred Williams then, than Sean Penn now.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Precious Doll wrote:My heart sank with the news that Sean Penn had been cast as Harvey Milk.

David Paymer would have been the perfect choice for this role but then he is only an actor not a star.
Paymer is too old for the role. He´s 53 and Milk Died at 48.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My heart sank with the news that Sean Penn had been cast as Harvey Milk.

David Paymer would have been the perfect choice for this role but then he is only an actor not a star.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Hustler wrote:Matt Damon is rumored to be part of the cast.
He also makes me think of cum.

Return to “2008”