Milk

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Greg wrote:I'm anxious to see what Emile Hirsch does with his role. I think he could be on his way to becoming a truly great actor.
if INTO THE WILD did not convince you of his acting abilities, i am not sure what will.

james franco is the one i am looking forward to really breaking out into being a star. he may have co-starred in three of the biggest movies ever, but has not previously carried any successful movies himself. he received a little respect from critics after the james dean biopic, but it seems his comedic turn in PINEAPPLE EXPRESS really got the critics' attention. hopefully this performance in MILK will knock it out of the park for them, and he will be rewarded with a nice supporting nomination.

hopefully this movie is heavily nominated by the academy. i have such high hopes for it.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm anxious to see what Emile Hirsch does with his role. I think he could be on his way to becoming a truly great actor.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

MILK trailer finally up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4JQWlpg208

not sure about everyone else, but i got chills.
looks like gus found a nice balance between his boring style (GOOD WILL HUNTING, FINDING FORRESTER) and his more arty style (GERRY, PARANOID PARK) of filmmaking.
the screenplay sounds sharp. the writer was from the hbo show BIG LOVE.
at first i thought penn was queening it up, but toward the end i actually thought i was looking at harvey milk.

i am fucking excited!

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1220502195
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

James Franco is doing the talk show rounds in support of Pineapple Express, but seems more interested in talking about making love with Sean Penn in Milk.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Franco's sexuality is apparently an open secret in Hollywood.

One of them is the same source who delivered me the Brad/Angelina tidbit (that a production assistant on Mr. and Mrs. Smith had walked in on them making out off-camera). This was back in 2005 when their relationship was all conjecture and rumor (and before the infamous 'Branjelina' issue of W magazine came out, I believe). I tend to believe him.

While we're on the subject of gossip, Will Smith's Scientology brainwashing is now complete. He was seen passing out Scientology pamplets at the Hancock premiere.

Edited By flipp525 on 1214922195
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I've heard from several reputable sources that all hot guys are gay and all less-than-hot guys are not.

That said, it would be best for all involved if your sources turn out to be credible.

Edited By Eric on 1214921583
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I've heard from several reputable sources that James Franco is gay.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

here is some amateur video of the filming of MILK on the streets of san francisco. it is not much but you can see sean penn and emile hirsch actually shooting a scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9GQYwUUP0
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I still say "Born to Be Alive" would be a great title for this--Harvey Milk had such a zest for life, and that iconic disco song was released just a week or two after he was assassinated.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

And wasn't the original title of Ray supposed to be Unchain My Heart?

Yo, rolo, when are we gonna grab a drink? I was at JR's on Wednesday night and it was pretty dead. Been to Town yet?

Edited By flipp525 on 1201880691

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:I'm really looking forward to this movie. But why not call it The Mayor of Castro Street?
...because bryan singer is (was) making that film. definitely a better title, though. it annoys me when films cannot come up with a title for a biopic and just opt to use the name.
WALK THE LINE is such a better title than RAY.
THE AVIATOR much cooler sounding than NIXON.
hell, even FINDING NEVERLAND is more interestingly title than ERIN BROCKOVICH.
plus, MILK seems so ripe for gay jokes by john gibson and don imus. ???
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm really looking forward to this movie. But why not call it The Mayor of Castro Street?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - If you happen to be doing a little shopping on Castro Street in San Francisco and notice that the stores seem to be a bit more psychedelic than usual, fear not. You're not having an acid flashback or entering a time warp; you're on the set of "Milk."

In mid-January Gus Van Sant began shooting his biopic about America's first openly gay elected official, Harvey Milk, a San Francisco supervisor who was assassinated in 1978 along with Mayor George Moscone by recently resigned San Francisco Supervisor Dan White. Sean Penn is playing Milk, and Josh Brolin plays White in the Focus Features/Groundswell production.

Milk operated a camera store on Castro Street and was known as the Mayor of Castro Street, a roughly two-block shopping district in the San Francisco neighborhood of the same name. The production has taken over the area, turning back the clock to represent the years of the 1970s, when the Castro shifted from being a hippie hangout to a gay mecca. The production has meticulously re-created signs from the area, and even the garbage cans are from the time period.

"We've done an enormous amount of research to ensure that we are only going to have a sign for a business that was open in the year the scene takes place," said Dan Jinks, one of the film's producers.

REAL DEAL

The production hunkered down in San Francisco's Gay and Lesbian Archives and talked to plenty of people from Milk's world. They even hired a former employee from Milk's camera store, Daniel Nicoletta, as a consultant; he not only worked with Milk but also took "tons" of photographs of the activist and the neighborhood.

One of the project's biggest coups is that it's shooting in Milk's actual camera store. The storefront is now a gift shop, so the production had to buy the place out for a couple of months in order to transform it to a '70s-era business, under the watchful eye of production designer Bill Groom.

That would have been impossible had the film kept its original start date of November 2007, because the shop would not have wanted to give up holiday sales. But now, in what is the slowest part of the retail season, the store's owners were more amenable.

While declining comment on the cost of taking over the store, producer Bruce Cohen said the transaction was about "finding that balance of something that (the owners) are happy with and works in our budget. It has some value to them that the movie is shot there, both commercial and historic."

In fact, adding value to the neighborhood was one reason that the local business association received the production with open arms.

At first, Van Sant wasn't keen on shooting in the Castro, thinking it was too retail-intensive. But the more he scouted, the more he saw how unique the area was, a little valley of shops with hills around it.

"There's not a good way to cheat that," location manager Jonathan Sheer said. "The more Gus scouted, the more he realized that the weight of the historical nature of it was mandating him to do it in the real place."

The production team met the business association and outlined their plan during a town hall meeting at the historic Castro Theatre. Both sides agreed that the film would remind people of Milk's importance, give the area a commercial boost and make the district more of a tourist attraction. In the end, almost all of the stores agreed to the shoot.

NEIGHBORHOOD BOOST

"People will want to come here and say, 'Not only is this where Harvey was a figure, but this is where they shot the movie,"' Jinks said. "We're hoping that our movie is ultimately going to be a great thing for the neighborhood."

"Milk" already is having an effect. Some who lived through the '70s are having their emotions swirled up at the sight of the old stores and bars. There also is something more permanent, too: a facelift to the Castro Theatre.

The movie palace, the gem of the neighborhood, was looking run-down. The production partnered with the business association and the theater's owners to cobble together the funds to repaint the facade and redo the neon marquee, among other improvements.

"There's very few chances in our business where we have a chance to make a positive change," Sheer said. "But it's nice to know that when we leave here, we're going to leave something that's had a lasting impact."

In the coming weeks, the shoot will move to City Hall, where current Mayor Gavin Newsom invited the production to shoot in the exact location where Moscone (played by Victor Garber) was shot. White's office, where Milk was shot, will be re-created in another locale because the original offices have changed over time. The new location still will have a view of the San Francisco Opera House, replicating the view that Milk, an opera fan, enjoyed before he died.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

well, here is the first look of sean penn as harvey milk. this is clearly milk's earlier years. looking forward to seeing how they dress up the younger boys (franco, hirsch, luna, etc).

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/19849046.html#cutid1
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:I love the idea being bandied about of Marcia Gay Harden playing Dianne Fienstein.
:laugh:
oh my god, that is too perfect! the likeness is uncanny.

Return to “2008”