WALL-E
14%
The Wrestler
6%

Total votes: 36

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I have finally seen the last of these and can vote properly. Saw Rachel Getting Married last evening and it was excruciating! I can't remember seeing a movie was more unbearable. Rosemarie DeWitt was it's saving grace as one of the only actors to actually stay in character for the whole film.
Fortunately I had The Savages waiting at home to watch!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think it beat worthier films to the nomination (The Dark Knight, WALL*E) but Milk aside, this crop of nominees is among the most lackluster of the decade. If Milk is out of the equation, I choose Frost/Nixon.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

paperboy wrote:Now that the awards season is over the answer is even more obvious: Slumdog Millionaire
having finally seen SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, i would say its oscar win is more comparable to CHARIOTS OF FIRE than ROCKY. CHARIOTS OF FIRE is a well made film which beat out some far more deserving films, while ROCKY is a mediocre film which beat out some far more deserving films. the outrage i feel at the films for being overrated is relative.
ROCKY is silly at any level, whether it won best picture or not. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE was very well made and is a delightful film if you are willing to suspend all disbelief while watching.
my only problem with SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (much like my only problem with CHARIOTS OF FIRE) is that it beat far worthier films for best picture. that certainly makes it overrated in my book.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Now that the awards season is over the answer is even more obvious: Slumdog Millionaire
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I am pretty surprised how much positive supporters Iron Man has got. The film itself is fine, nothing spectacular, with a great Downey Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Well I totally disagree...and am confused by your sense of moral ambiguity or queasiness in this film as opposed to like every third or fourth film churned out.....if the film concluded in a way that totally shocked your sox off, then you really were bored for the first 7/8 of the film

at the same time I think we're entering a very spoilertastic realm here...and may need to move it if we feel the necessity to do so...
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm in complete agreement with Okri re: the violence in Let the Right One In. I'm sad that Eli is a lonely, pre-teen vampire chick...but it's OKAY that she kills people? And so violently? And (really) without cause?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Maybe, but the way the film almost condones the swimming pool scene bothers me. I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it, but I'd put it on par, in terms of moral queasiness, as Wanted.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

See, Okri, I thought the conclusion was entirely fitting to the narrative. (SPOILERS AHEAD) The fact that they moved into the apartment suddenly at the beginning suggested they had been required to move on. The obvious expertness that her feeder had with killing victims suggested previous experience and probably someone catching on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Original BJ wrote:I haven't seen Twilight, but my other thought was that Let the Right One In is probably way better than that, and so to critics who had to endure both, the latter looked really good by comparison.

All I know is I was bored silly. Maybe I just don't care about vampires that much.
While I definitely think Twilight played a small role in the Swedish film's success (I haven't seen the Hardwicke film), my biggest problem with the latter film is both its wierd relationship to violence (the climax is ridiculous and morally suspect) and i's lack of a narrative drive (yeah, it does get boring sometimes). I did find much of the film quite good, but not quite brilliant. It probably isn't the most overrated film of the year (that honor belongs to The Dark Knight) but I found the discussion surrounding Let the Right One In really overlooked the main flaws to the point where I thought it definitely fit here (the way Sabin feels about Slumdog Millionaire, though not quite as fervently).
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

With 'Gran Torino' missing from this list, i will go with 'Wall-e'
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

A vampire flick as directed by Ingmar Bergman.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I haven't seen Twilight, but my other thought was that Let the Right One In is probably way better than that, and so to critics who had to endure both, the latter looked really good by comparison.

All I know is I was bored silly. Maybe I just don't care about vampires that much.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I read Twilight and know enough that Let the Right One In has to be better than any film they could make from that.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I have not seen Twilight, but I think Let the Right One In is a terrific film that sets the vampire genre on its ear. It honestly explores the loneliness and isolation of being a vampire, more heightened when the vampire is merely a child. There's an element of realism to the story that most vampire flicks don't have and I think that's why it appeals so much to me. I'm no huge fan of vampire films, but that's largely because most of them have been a destruction of the myth or a bizarre romanticizing of that myth.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2008”