WALL-E
14%
The Wrestler
6%

Total votes: 36

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Four votes for WALL-E? Jeez, how many times did Damien get to vote.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Dark Knight followed closely by Slumdog Millionaire. At least the latter was watchable unlike the former film that just droned on and on.

Edited By Reza on 1231400393
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just because The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is bound to be laureled with Oscar nominations doesn't mean it's overrated. Slumdog Millionaire though absolutely is a horrendously overrated film, overrated to the point where suggesting any form of fault is a form of evil. I want to see the movie again and I can imagine it growing in my estimation a little but there has not been another movie this year where so much has been made out of so little.
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The only ones I saw so far are The Dark Knight and Happy Go Lucky, and still I am tempted to vote for TDK.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Easiest choice in years...Slumdog Millionaire. Good, but not exactly the film the critics are calling "life-changing" or even "the best picture of the year" for that matter.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Haven't seen Rachel Getting Married or Man on Wire, but I can say with absolute certainty that Slumdog Millionaire is the most overrated film of the year. It hasn't deserved a single award it has won so far...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Man on Wire was my strong second choice. I'm no fan of Benjamin Button, but it's hard for me to think of the movie as overrated given how audiences haven't really embraced it.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Interesting. For as lame a movie year as I think '08 was, most of the acclaimed titles ARE among the best of the year.

I've still not seen Let the Right One In, but my tentative pick is Man on Wire. An enjoyable film? Sure. But every documentary prize on the planet? You'd think it was Shoah.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I actually like more than dislike most of these (for a change, right?) ... I'm going to go with The Wrestler, the appeal of which completely eludes me outside of Rourke's comeback (which I realize is sort of folded within the storyline of the film itself).

Edited By Eric on 1231384089
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

The only one I have not seen is RGM. I have liked the rest and don't think that they have been overpraised. Guess I will not vote just now.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

It's that time again! This year's list is based on the compilation of critics' top 10s found at MCN; I've rearranged them alphabetically, but if you're curious, here's the list.

I presume you don't need to guess which one I voted for.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2008”