Frost/Nixon

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Don't entirely know how to gauge this trailer. Miserable choice of music makes it desperately trying to seem hip and movie-ish. Was *this* the performance that won Frank Langella the Tony? Michael Sheen seems overwhelmingly more fascinating.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The trailer is now up. You can find a link to it through my previews page:

http://www.oscarguy.com/Previews/Annual/2008/FrostNixon.html

And for those who don't know, I review every new trailer that comes out, so if you don't know if a movie has an official trailer in release, you can always check out my website.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

...and my error: it is Michael Sheen, not McAvoy. Sorry about that.

Edited By cam on 1207263047
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:Has anyone ever been nominated for an Oscar for a role (based on a play) that was invented for the film?
Yes, indeed. Elsa Lanchester's character in Witness for the Prosecution was written for the film version.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

cam wrote:Ostensibly the Pat Nixon part will be a meaty supporting role, and I can hardly wait to see McCormick in it. I vividly remember "Rhoda" in The Bad Seed--in fact when our daughter was being a brat as a child, my wife and I called her "Rhoda" :laugh:
I really have a hard time seeing her being a player, only because the play doesn't even include her as a character. I can't imagine they would include a huge, meaty role into the script, especially when I can't see how she can be inserted anywhere into the play and have a real, splashy moment.

Has anyone ever been nominated for an Oscar for a role (based on a play) that was invented for the film?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Frost/Nixon opens the Vancouver Playhouse season in September, so we will see the play, although I cannot imagine two finer performers as Langella and McAvoy. Because they have played the parts for so long on the stage, the film should be memorable.
Ostensibly the Pat Nixon part will be a meaty supporting role, and I can hardly wait to see McCormick in it. I vividly remember "Rhoda" in The Bad Seed--in fact when our daughter was being a brat as a child, my wife and I called her "Rhoda" :laugh:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:It's the same way I think about Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick in Days of Wine and Roses, having seen Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie originate those roles as well on TV. Laurie was especially devastating.

I'm sure she was, Big Magilla, but Remick was truly unforgettable in the film version, you must admit. Her best performance by far (next to Anatomy of a Murder).
As good as Remick was, Laurie was better, at least in memory which is the only place to see it. :;):
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Man, I could swear I totally read CHAPLIN! Man, I need new glasses... :laugh: and a new brain, cause I actually wrote PAGE! Man, call that a confussion... sorry :p

Page as Mother Miriam, interesting... Bancroft did a superb work. And didn't Page actually won against Bancroft playing the role she originated (ala Andrews, but of course Hepburn wasn't nominated, it was just the same year)?

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1205444818
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think he's confusing Geraldine Page and Geraldine Chaplin. Chaplin was in The Orphanage and Talk to Her.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Or Geraldine Page in Agnes of God?

Man, what role did she play? Agnes of God is one of my favortie films from the 80's and I just simply loooove Geraldine Page! (can't get tired of watching her scene in Talk to Her and when I saw her in The Orphanage I literally jumped in my seat and a big smile appeared in my face!)

Wait, what? How could Geraldine Page be in Talk to Her or The Orphanage, for that matter? She died in 1987 ???.

Page originated the role of Mother Miriam Ruth on stage which went to Anne Bancroft in the film version of Agnes of God.

Edited By flipp525 on 1205444395
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

flipp525 wrote:Or Geraldine Page in Agnes of God?

Man, what role did she play? Agnes of God is one of my favortie films from the 80's and I just simply loooove Geraldine Page! (can't get tired of watching her scene in Talk to Her and when I saw her in The Orphanage I literally jumped in my seat and a big smile appeared in my face!)
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I would love Patty McCormack to receive a nomination, but Pat Nixon wasn't even a character in the stage version of Frost/Nixon. So unless the material has been substantially re-worked I fear that she may not have a lot to do in the picture.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:It's the same way I think about Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick in Days of Wine and Roses, having seen Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie originate those roles as well on TV. Laurie was especially devastating.

I'm sure she was, Big Magilla, but Remick was truly unforgettable in the film version, you must admit. Her best performance by far (next to Anatomy of a Murder).

Has anyone here ever seen Jessica Tandy in A Streetcar Named Desire on stage? Or Geraldine Page in Agnes of God? I've always wondered how the originators compared to the more lauded, awarded stars who ended up with the widely-seen film roles.

Edited By flipp525 on 1205422363
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I knew somebody was going to come up with someone else! How could I forget Fonda?

I have to catch up on The Sopranos. I've still only seen the first season. Didn't Steph say she was catching up on the series a while back? I can't believe we actually had something in common!

The last thing I saw Patty McCormack in was the horror parodies Mommy and Mommy 2. She was excellent. As I've said before, I still recall her great work as Helen Keller opposite Teresa Wright in the original Playhouse 90 production of The Miracle Worker which I saw just once about fifty years ago. I still think of Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke as replacement cast members after seeing Wright and McCormack originate those roles.

It's the same way I think about Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick in Days of Wine and Roses, having seen Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie originate those roles as well on TV. Laurie was especially devastating.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

It's funny that we've already have a Richard Nixon - Pat Nixon nominated duo within the last fifteen years (Anthony Hopkins and Joan Allen, respectively, in 1995).

Patty McCormack is still, 52 years later, a fantastic actress. She was downright haunting as Adriana la Cerva's mother in The Sopranos. That scene where she corners Carmela at the fair and demands to know where her daughter is has stayed with me long after the series finale. Especially since it's the scene where Carmela finally starts to realize that Adriana might've been a casualty of her family's sadistic machinations.

And her performance in The Bad Seed, as over-the-top it is at times, is truly frightening. She makes little Briony look like Strawberry Shortcake.

Edited By flipp525 on 1205417056

Return to “2008”