Gran Torino

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Oh, whatever. You know gay men would be doing it, too, if they could. I can just see some tired old 70-year-old queen being all, "Hey girl, I'm gonna be a daddy!"

i would just assume he forgot to include the word "sugar" in that sentence. :D

That's it...you must frequent The Eagle. I'll go look for you there.
ewww. i went there once with an older gay friend. scenes from CRUISING kept popping into my head. it totally freaked me out.

for a truly scuzzy scene though, nothing beats the fireplace. a nice married man with a wife and kids at home wanted to give me a ride home, and only asked for a little "favor" in return. yuk!
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:i know this has nothing to do with the movie, but this type of thing always pisses me off. why the hell do straight men feel the need to have children past the age of 50? that is when you should be preparing to be a grandfather, not a father.

Oh, whatever. You know gay men would be doing it, too, if they could. I can just see some tired old 70-year-old queen being all, "Hey girl, I'm gonna be a daddy!"

That's it...you must frequent The Eagle. I'll go look for you there.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:i know this has nothing to do with the movie, but this type of thing always pisses me off. why the hell do straight men feel the need to have children past the age of 50? that is when you should be preparing to be a grandfather, not a father.

"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i know this has nothing to do with the movie, but this type of thing always pisses me off. why the hell do straight men feel the need to have children past the age of 50? that is when you should be preparing to be a grandfather, not a father. it reminds me of that great dialogue in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY --

sally: "and it's not the same for men. charlie chaplin had kids when he was 73."

harry: "yeah, but he was too old to pick them up."

Eastwood Surprised To Become A Dad Late In Life

Clint Eastwood was pleasantly surprised to discover he was set to become a dad in his mid-60s - because he thought his parenting days were over.

The movie icon had sired six kids by four different women when his wife Dina Ruiz started feeling sick during a lengthy honeymoon in Hawaii.

Eastwood tells the upcoming issue of Parade magazine, "She said she felt a little nausea. She asked me to stop at a gas station so she could buy one of those sticks (pregnancy tests). She came back and said, 'We're pregnant'.

"At least nobody stood there with a shotgun when we got married."

The couple's daughter, Morgan, is now 12, and Ruiz admits the movie tough guy has finally settled into fatherhood and becoming a grandpa.

She adds, "He likes now being seen as a grandfather, as vulnerable, as crying over his daughters."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm utterly confused now. What the hell is going on with this movie?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Agreed. This looks way more interesting than the Oscar-bait it was rumored to be until today.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

When I first saw the trailer, a thought flashed through my head: this looks to be a prime example of straight white male old geezer camp. Looks like it delivers. In a way, I'm now more excited to see this movie more than any Eastwood flick in memory.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

LOL, just added that to the other thread. (Sabin, what's your handle on Twitter?)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm going to start this here b/c early reviews are coming out. I want to post what Mike D'Angelo has to say about it.

Transcribed from his Twitter page:

Listen Eggroll ('08 Eastwood): ? I don't know what to do with this. It's like trying to rate Reefer Madness or something. 35 minutes ago from mobile web

Lest there be confusion, I am at best mixed. This film is soooo bad. But hilariously bad.) 23 minutes ago from mobile web

@paperlung Not just a line. A *typical* line. It's like they shot the SNL parody of the film instead of the film.
"How's the despair?"
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

flipp525 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:I think Clint Eastwood deserves to get his acting Oscar at last.

Well, I thought Eastwood should've won for Million Dollar Baby back in 2004 instead of the overrated mess that was Jaime Foxx. However, I'm not going to declare him the winner of anything until I've had a chance to see the almost entirely unreleased slate of contenders this year.
Jamie Foxx's grandma must have said: ''Oh, Jamie, shut up!'', while watching his Oscar acceptance speech.
Clint really should have won!
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

It's completely possible that it's neither, I guess. The synopsis of the film seems to correspond with the script review. Maybe it just had some extensive re-writes.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

So was that script review trying to be sarcastic or just BS?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Zahveed wrote:Wait, so is Grand Torino a comedy or drama? Dramedy? Is every laugh to be followed by tears?
I think that it is most definitely a drama. Actually, it's probably more like an action-thriller. From the look of the trailer, it seems like it has about as many laughs as Million Dollar Baby.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I haven't seen Bridges since I was a kid in the literal sense, so my memory of that film is a bit hazy.

Return to “2008”