Doubt

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:But it in no way invalidates the winner Tomei, who still did what any other winner through the years has: got the most votes.
Plus, she has done something only two other Supporting Actress nominees since have done...garnered multiple nominations after winning.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Tomei..........she's got a "common" feel that puts me off.

Calling Tomei ''common''......would that be akin to a racist remark? Just curious......not a reflection on you, Mister Tee.

Edited By Reza on 1232908129
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, to begin with, let's acknowledge tastes in beauty can vary like taste in anything else. Speaking partly as one of the few heterosexuals in the conversation, but mostly from my own limited viewpoint:

Tomei's got a great body, but her face does nothing for me. Also, she's got a "common" feel that puts me off.

Cruz has a hotness (or has post-Volver, anyway), but I've always been mystified by people who call her beautiful. The nose alone disqualifies her, by me.

Having not seen Button, and having only vague memories of Hustle and Flow, I have no opinion on Henson -- except, I guess by inference, she couldn't have struck me as a knockout, or I'd have remembered her.

Viola Davis is plenty good-looking by real world standards, but in the Hollywood universe she wouldn't remotely be called a beauty.

I think Amy Adams is extraordinarily pretty. It's a very innocent sort of pretty, which I believe reads as white bread to many here, and, you know, feel free to reject it. But the repressed Irish Catholic part of me finds her irresistible in certain ways. (Also, based on interviews, and parts of Miss Pettigrew, I think she has a sly, childlike sexiness that may emerge over time)

To get back to the original point Magilla and dws raised: as they say, and as I wrote in another thread, Adams is viewed as a hot comer by the Hollywood community, in something of the way Goldie Hawn was in 1969. I'd thought that meant a likely Oscar in the near future, but now, having seen the film, I think it's possinle the future is here.

Oh, and to go a little deeper into that '92 race that Tomei so scandalously won: It's reductive to say she won simply because she was the lone American. She was also the only actress to appear in a mainstream film, competing against four art-house candidates. And even within the arty ladies, there was an odd split: the two actresses who'd dominated the critics' awards -- Davis and Richardson -- were in box office flops that got little overall Oscar recognition; the other two -- Brit veterans Redgrave and Plowright -- were in semi-popular efforts, but were viewed as having given less weighty performances. Had Richardson given that Damage perfomance in a hit like The Crying Game, voters might have coalesced around her and produced a different result.

And, yes, this appears to be an example of "vote-splitting" -- certain demographics having multiple choices, others limited to one. But it in no way invalidates the winner Tomei, who still did what any other winner through the years has: got the most votes.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Eric wrote:I never got the appeal of Cruz either until Volver, at which point she suddenly (probably because she was filmed through the eyes of a gay man) became a miraculously, luminously attractive person.

I absolutely agree with you on this. I hated her with a vengeance....maybe it was because she was arm in arm with the Cruise for such a long time....and my hate for him may have rubbed off on her inadvertently. Volver changed all that....her acting and especially that Sophia Loren persona which Almodovar brought out so vividly.....but sadly not her looks. Yes, she does have a squirelly feel to her.....as Flipp so quaintly puts it.

I do, however, agree with Flipp that Tomei is very sexy....at least in The Wrestler. Her nude scene is hot and she has great breasts.....there, I said it....a typical male chauvanist remark. And finally....yes, Adams is extremely bland.

So the hot babe award will go to.....not Tomei, as she already has one....but Cruz.

Edited By Reza on 1232896262
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Her Earth-mother hotness did add some points. I bumped her up to 3rd. Which leaves bland Adams last.

Edited By flipp525 on 1232894442
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I never got the appeal of Cruz either until Volver, at which point she suddenly (probably because she was filmed through the eyes of a gay man) became a miraculously, luminously attractive person.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Adams does fit the profile of the typical supporting actress winner...young, up and coming and the best looking nominee.

I know I'm no authority on female attractiveness, but Adams' white-bread Teflon look is at best the fourth most attractive in this field.

I have to agree with Eric here. Amy Adams is probably the fourth or fifth best-looking for me. Marisa Tomei is easily the best-looking of the bunch. She's downright hot, as a matter of fact. Penelope Cruz dwells somewhere near the bottom. I never got the appeal of her look. Although a fine actress, she looks like a squirrel.

Oh, hell, I'll just rank them:

1. Marisa Tomei
2. Taraji P. Henson
3. Viola Davis
4. Penelope Cruz
5. Amy Adams

Edited By flipp525 on 1232907588
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Certainly not as attractive as Penelope Cruz, come on. And definitely in a much less sexy role.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:Adams does fit the profile of the typical supporting actress winner...young, up and coming and the best looking nominee.
I know I'm no authority on female attractiveness, but Adams' white-bread Teflon look is at best the fourth most attractive in this field.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:

What about Cruz? She may have crossed the ''up and coming'' phase of her career but she is certainly sexier, International and more out there in terms of diversity of film work.

Don't you think the Academy members are more familiar with Cruz than with Adams? The Cruise and his cronies will surely vote for her?
Hopefully it won't be enough for the win. Cruz was the best thing about the film, but the film sucked.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

rain Bard wrote:because she was the only American in her category
Of course one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, she won was that she was the only American in the race. But this doesn't have anything to do with vote-splitting. It's not like there were two fields, one "let's give it to a foreign actress" and another "let's give it to an American actress" and the first field split its votes equally among the four other nominees. It's just that, most of the Academy members being American, intentionally or not in that case they went for a compatriot. She was also - again - a young, relatively pretty face, in a strong comedy role (it helped others before and after her), and potentially even a future star.

Now she's a mature, good actress. And she won't win.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

One reason (probably not a sufficient one, but a start, anyway) I've heard is that Tomei's prior win was tarnished by Italiano's favorite and/or least favorite accusation (vote-splitting, because she was the only American in her category). So, if the performance and the film are liked well-enough there may be sentiment to give her a "real", "untarnished" Oscar.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What about Cruz? She may have crossed the ''up and coming'' phase of her career but she is certainly sexier, International and more out there in terms of diversity of film work.

Don't you think the Academy members are more familiar with Cruz than with Adams? The Cruise and his cronies will surely vote for her?

Edited By Reza on 1232868770
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I gave a reason over in another thread, but was shot down. I'm not wasting my breath again.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote:I'm not quite ready to bet on Adams...but if she ends up an unlikely victor, I want to be down as the first to suggest the possibility.

She's also a pretty young face poised for stardom, which is the kind of actress who often wins this category.

Having seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I could also see Taraji P. Henson crossing the finish line first. It's not a performance for the ages, maybe, but she plays a strong, likeable character, who the audience can easily embrace. In an open race like this, I can imagine a scenario where they would go for a performance like this, especially since in it's in a Best Picture nominee that got popular support across the board. None of the other movies in this category got even a single technical nomination, and only Doubt performed as well as expected in the nominations. So I could see Henson winning on both the appeal of her performance (character) and on the popularity of her film. It might be kind of a default choice, but it's possible.

Now someone needs to make a case for Marisa Tomei, and we can have a believable five-way race. (A lot of people at The Backstage seem to be predicting her, but no one has really given a reason for it.)

Edited By dws1982 on 1232855001

Return to “2008”