Year-End Top 10s

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've only seen seven of them so far and only three of them are insultingly average so I guess it's a step up from other years.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

No list could be more Travers like than this crap...though I agree that sometimes the contest makes us overanalyze it a lot...more than this year's list picking literally the 10 films on the tip of every Oscar prognosticator's tongues.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I would not have done well in the Travers contest this year. I would've had him down for stuff like Tropic Thunder for sure.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No contest this year from Sonic Youth, but here is Peter Travers' top ten:

1. Milk
2. Slumdog Millionaire
3. The Dark Knight
4. Frost/Nixon
5. WALL-E
6. Revolutionary Road
7. The Visitor
8. Doubt
9. Rachel Getting Married
10. Man on Wire
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

rolotomasi99 wrote:i do not mean to be such a wet blanket.
Please don't use the phrase "wet blanket" anymore. It's offensive to people who are bed wetters. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
Sabin wrote:ROGER EBERT'S RETARDEDLY LONG LIST OF THE BEST FILMS OF 2008

when i was in middle school, any time my classmates did not like something they called it retarded. at some point during highschool, retarded was no longer the insult of choice. now if anyone did not like something, they would say "that's so gay." it has become so rampant, a series of tv ads were created (which won awards) discouraging people from using the insult "that's so gay".

i would like to ask that we do not use the word retarded to put down things we do not like. i know you are a good person sabin, and most likely would not want to insult people. i just hope for all of us on this board who have family members with developmental problems we can avoid having people use the "r word" as an insult.

thank you. :)

That's retarded.
criddic, don't be such a Medved. :p
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Sabin wrote:ROGER EBERT'S RETARDEDLY LONG LIST OF THE BEST FILMS OF 2008

when i was in middle school, any time my classmates did not like something they called it retarded. at some point during highschool, retarded was no longer the insult of choice. now if anyone did not like something, they would say "that's so gay." it has become so rampant, a series of tv ads were created (which won awards) discouraging people from using the insult "that's so gay".

i would like to ask that we do not use the word retarded to put down things we do not like. i know you are a good person sabin, and most likely would not want to insult people. i just hope for all of us on this board who have family members with developmental problems we can avoid having people use the "r word" as an insult.

thank you. :)
That's retarded.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

to actually post something on this thread related to its topic, i have seen only three movies this year that i feel are even worthy of being on my top ten list.

MILK
WALL-E
THE DARK KNIGHT

i have not seen any of the recent or future oscar bait films.

the only film from earlier in this year that i missed which would probably make it on my top ten list is FROZEN RIVER. i am going to have quite a bit of film viewing to have any sort of decent top ten list.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:As long as you promise to limit the number of emoticons you use to one per post. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. I just want to see if you're physically capable.
oh my lord. i never used emoticons before, but then i got in trouble for making a joke that people took seriously. i was told to avoid confusion i had to use emoticons.

now people are acting as if i am sally hawkins' character from HAPPY-GO-LUCKY. :p
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

If the word was used within the original definition it would still make sense and wouldn't be offensive.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

As long as you promise to limit the number of emoticons you use to one per post. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. I just want to see if you're physically capable.

Edited By Sabin on 1228790703
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:I have a cousin with downs.

than you understand exactly where i am coming from.

i seem to recall having my ass handed to me for using the term "showtune queens" a couple years ago. as i remember, it involved flipp525 accusing me of being a homophobic breeder and saying he was more manly than i was and that he could beat me up. flipp525 and i are now good friends and even hijack certain threads talking about the various gay bars in our area. :D

i do not mean to be such a wet blanket. there are just so many blogs and discussion boards i frequent where horribly hateful words are just thrown around. i wanted oscarguy's discussion board to be the one place i do not have to feel uncomfortable. i promise not to complain about any more bad words. :;):

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1228790000
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:I'm still not over "cunt" being banned. I love that word.
Although isn't Medved a suitable substitution for that word too:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Sight & Sound's annual poll of various critics.

1. Hunger (Steve McQueen, UK)
2. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, USA)
3. WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, USA)
4. Gomorrah (Matteo Garrone, Italy)
5. A Christmas Tale (Arnaud Desplechin, France)
5. The Class (Laurent Cantet, France)
7. Of Time and the City (Terence Davies, UK)
8. Happy-Go-Lucky (Mike Leigh, UK)
9. The Headless Woman (Lucrecia Martel, Argentina/France/Italy/Spain)
9. Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, Sweden)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm still not over "cunt" being banned. I love that word.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “2008”