Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Columbus returning to director's chair?

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I am nervous about Chris Columbus.

Geez, of all things to be nervous about. You're talking about a goddamned Harry Potter movie.

It is we who will watch the movies, Damien. Gay senior citizens aren't exacty Harry Potter's target audience. :p :;):
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:I am nervous about Chris Columbus.

Geez, of all things to be nervous about. You're talking about a goddamned Harry Potter movie.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I doubt they'll hand the franchise over to Shyamalan after the critical and commercial disappointment of Lady in the Water.

I also doubt big-guns like Spielberg or for that matter, Tim Burton and Peter Jackson would be the type who would continue a franchise. They'd rather start them. Besides, the one Harry Potter book Spielberg has expressed interest in directing was The Prisoner of Azkaban which went to Cuaron.

I would also add Guillermo Del Toro to the mix but I think he's more interested in doing the Hellboy sequels. He was offered Azkaban but turned it down.

It would be nice to see Terry Gilliam finish the series but with his diva-like personality and the commercial failure of his most recent films, I doubt we'll see a Gilliam-directed Potter film in the near future.

As for Meirelles, I think he's a very possible candidate. Mike Newell and David Yates both have not done fantasy films before (Yates had also done "message" films like Meirelles in his resume, The Girl in the Cafe is one of them and that won an Emmy for Outstanding TV Movie.)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Hmm. I dunno about those guys. I still think M. Night Shymalan (in spite of Lady in the Water) or Christopher Nolan. Or even Spielberg. But Danny Boyle? His The Beach should keep him from ever using special effects again, and his indie-feel doesn't quite fit into a big-budget film. He's best with Trainspotting or Millions.

Fernando Mereilles makes dark films, but they are "message" films like City of God and The Constant Gardener, both of which were fine and were award-winners. I don't know if fantasy is his genre.

Ang Lee could do it, since all of his films have been distinct from one another. However, he too suffered a bit when trying to do big-budget effects movie (The Hulk).

My pick would be Spielberg, who had wanted to direct one of them at some point.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Another rumor blown way out of proportions. The REAL brains behind the franchise, David Heyman, has said explicitly that Harry Potter will have different directors in each subsequent installment after The Chamber of Secrets. I doubt with all better critical reception that greeted the latter two, they'll go back to Columbus.

Three directors come to mind for Half-Blood Prince: Ang Lee, Fernando Meirelles (who has, in fact, expressed interest in trying his hand at a huge franchise Hollywood film) and Danny Boyle. Their sensibilities will match the theme and content of The Half-Blood Prince.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Knowing that the two books in reference are supposed to be very dark compared to the first ones, I am nervous about Chris Columbus. Yet I believe he did a solid job on the entries he directed, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Who knows if this will even happen, though. Plenty of other directors would love to have a go at one of the movies.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Harry Potter' movies are the most reliable naps money can be when not directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Why break a fairly decent streak? I think they made a wise decision. If I desperately need a $9 nap, I know exactly where to go and knowing for sure that a total hack is at the helm really boosts my confidence that I will get the quality sleep I'm paying for. I say good for them, and really good for America. We need a lot more sleep than we're getting. First the English exports the Beatles, and forty years later they give us sleep.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

LOL... what can I say? I just can't stay away... but I am refraining from predictions, like I said I would (I guess you could say I'm kind of sort of back.. kind of).
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

NOOOOO!!!! Columbus just needs to stay away from directing for the time being, especially the Potter franchise.

Btw, MovieWes, didn't you post a whole "my life is too busy for this board so I'm leaving" thing awhile ago? Guess you're back now.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Bad news for Harry Potter fans via Rotten Tomatoes:

There's never a shortage of Potter-related news, is there? The latest tidbit comes from young actor Rupert Grint, who either dropped a mild surprise -- or has no idea what he's talking about. It seems that Chris Columbus might be coming back to helm his third "Harry Potter" flick.

From a video interview at JewReview.net: "Then, we got to talking about The Order of the Phoenix. He told us about how the Weasley’s are much more involved in this film. And he even mentioned the return of Chris Columbus as director to the series for the 6th and 7th film."

Click here for the interview. And just as a handy-dandy reminder, Chris Columbus directed "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets." Alfonso Cuaron directed "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," and Mike Newell helmed "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." David Yates is the one at the controls for the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which hits the cinemas on July 13th, 2007."
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2008”