The Sequels and Remakes

Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

atomicage wrote:And what's with the Tekken movie? They might as well make a live-action Dragonball Z film next. Seriously, there is only one video game-to-film adaptation I will ever get excited about. Three words: Metal Gear Solid.
I've played all three of these and enjoyed them immensely, is that wrong?

Yes, I'm a "one of the guys" girl.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

OscarGuy wrote:Majora's Mask was not really designed to be more than an add-on to OoT. It used the same character animation and Game Cube engine. They really meant it to be more of a puzzle game than an adventure game.

I totally agree, OG, completely. And that's why I like Majora's Mask so much; however, it is not nearly as epic as Ocarina.

MovieWes, I have to say, that makes me sad. It was such a preposterous idea that I was being completely sarcastic. Oh man. When will this end? As Akash said, Hollywood seems to want to please the fanboy. What doesn't seem to phase them is, if the movie sucks, those same fanboys will form a massive chip on their shoulder from then on.

In terms of video game narrative, I again agree. Some of the games, like "God of War", have fantastic storylines and themes that would be great in a movie. Unfortunately, when the games are finally adapted to the screen, they so many times lose those qualities. I don't know how else to describe it.

The reason I mentioned "Metal Gear Solid" is for the reason Zahveed brought up: Kojima is completely attached to it, just as Sondheim played a massive hand in Sweeney. In fact, at one point, Tom Cruise (before he jumped on Oprah's couch) approached Kojima himself and asked to play Snake, an idea that was quickly rejected. It's my understanding that animation is still a possibility for this project.

But Zahveed, for some odd reason, I don't think that they will follow the games linearly like that. If that were the case, why pay eight dollars to go see something that you've already seen through cutscenes. Yet in the same moment, I'm hoping they don't go the way of Resident Evil, creating a new storyline altogether, tacking the game's name onto the poster, and producing what would ultimately be a crappy film.

But "Killer 7"... wow. What a twisted game. It would not doubt make a brutal film. I would loved to see who they casted though.

EDIT: This just in. "Kane & Lynch", a video game that many critics and game reviewers have called cinematic, is indeed being released as a film in '09. Despite the lackluster fan base of this particular game, I do hope they do it justice.

Also, Justin Chatwin of "The Invisible" and "Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2" is played Goku in the Dragonball movie. What?!
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

If they did do a Metal Gear Solid film I hope that they to do it in trilogy form (the first one, Sons of Liberty, and Guns of the Patriots) with the backstory from Snake Eater sprinkled throughout in the form of Ocelot's recollections of Big Boss from that time period. Something like that. Another game I can see being made into a movie would be Killer 7, but that'd be a pretty fucked up movie.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm not even sure if The Legend of Zelda would make a good movie or not. I think it would take more time and money than it's worth to produce, and I don't even want to think about what a major Hollywood studio would do to it. The only director that I could even see doing it any justice is Hayao Miyazaki, and I don't think it seems like the sort of thing he'd be interested in doing.

Metal Gear Solid, however, would make an awesome movie if done right. The scripts for the games are so well written and the stories are intriguing. Playing the games are kind of like playing through an interactive movie (in fact, over half of MSG3: Snake Eater consisted of watching cutscenes, some of which last well over 20 minutes). I could see it becoming a successful franchise a la the Jason Bourne or James Bond movies.

Edited By MovieWes on 1199734365
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

When it comes to the list, I think these will be the only watchable films with half of the ones mentioned turning out to be shite.

Speed Racer (2008) adaptation of TV Cartoon
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) sequel
HB II (2008) sequel to Hellboy
The Dark Knight (2008) sequel to Batman Begins
James Bond 22 (2008) sequel
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2008) sequel
Fame (2008) remake
A Christmas Carol (2009) remake
Toy Story 3 (2010) sequel
The Hobbit (2010) prequel
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2010) sequel
Alice in Wonderland (2010) remake
Sin City 2 (unknown) sequel

It still looks to be too abundant.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Majora's Mask was not really designed to be more than an add-on to OoT. It used the same character animation and Game Cube engine. They really meant it to be more of a puzzle game than an adventure game.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Storywise, I think Twilight Princess is the best of the franchise. I also think Wind Waker (despite its god awful graphics) has a great story, which hooked up with Ocarina of Time and you have a great trio of stories.
As long as you forget about the lackluster Majora's Mask.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Storywise, I think Twilight Princess is the best of the franchise. I also think Wind Waker (despite its god awful graphics) has a great story, which hooked up with Ocarina of Time and you have a great trio of stories.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I have not played Twilight Princess yet. I'm waiting to get a Wii before I play that one. I agree with you about the narrative quality and scope of video games though.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Zahveed, I don't know if you played Twilight Princess, but that story in itself was amazingly cinematic and without the "side quests", it would have made a fantastic cinematic story. Of course, MovieWes and I have discussed the cinematic nature of video games and their ability to almost transcend the big screen in terms of quality of narrative and scope.
Wesley Lovell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

atomicage wrote:Three words: Metal Gear Solid.

Uwe Boll wanted to do MGS, but Kojima pretty much said there's no chance in hell of that happening. There's rumor about adapting it for the screen. David Hayter (English voice for Solid Snake and writer for the first two X-Men) supposedly wrote a script, but I don't know how true this is.

And on the note of Legend of Zelda; it should stay as a game. I can't see a game on that scale, especially with the amount of sides-stories that make the game what it is, being made into a respectable film. They might be able to do a three-hour Ocarina of Time if they get the right people.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

actually the video game that cries out for a feature film is The Legend of Zelda, the best story-driven franchise in video game history...but I don't think I could stomach that as someone would butcher it.
Wesley Lovell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh just to clarify, I was referring to Dragonball Z and Tekken. Angels and Demons has nothing to do with nerds and everything to do with bad literary taste.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

MovieWes wrote:Actually, the film adaptation of Angels & Demons is going to be treated as a sequel, not a prequel, to The Da Vinci Code even though the book was published first. I guess it's kind of like the James Bond movies never being released in order of publication. Either way, it's still going to suck.
Actually, Howard and Hanks are now going to butcher the better book.....you are correct, Wes.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I guess after Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, Hollywood realized that nerds who aren't getting laid have a lot of disposable income.

Edited By Akash on 1199685637

Return to “2008”