"Mamma Mia!" is finally happening! - And starring Meryl Streep!

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I hear Streep turned down Sweeney Todd for this.

IMO: If Johnny Depp hits a homerun with Sweeney Todd, I think he can win.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't see this as Oscar baiting role for Streep any more than Sweeney Tood wil lbe for Depp. We're more likely to see noms for Close in Sunset Blvd. and Travolta in Hairspray.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

At least they're adapting in the right direction (theater to film, rather than vice-versa.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Should we take bets as to how long it will take for those on the Kiddie Boards to proclaim her Best Actress winner of 2008. Especially after she will be "robbed" of the Oscar this year. It will be Streep vs. Close, the battle of the musical divas, and everyone should better begin taking sides now. My only question is which musical is worse, Sunset or Mamma Mia?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Oh god. Is Cats far behind?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Lord...
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Meryl Streep Joins Mamma Mia!

Source: Variety January 10, 2007

Less than 24 hours after Variety announced that theatre director Phyllida Lloyd would be directing a movie based on the hit Broadway musical Mamma Mia!, they have broken the story that Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep is set to star in it. Lloyd, who directed the original "Mamma" in London as well as its Broadway incarnation, will make her feature directing debut on the pic, which will be shot in London and Greece.

Streep will play the rebellious single mother of a bride-to-be who never met her father. The daughter invites three likely paternal candidates to her wedding, and the ensuing conflict triggers the performance of 22 Abba hits including "Dancing Queen," "Take a Chance on Me" and "The Winner Takes It All."

The crowd-pleasing musical has played in 130 cities around the world and had grossed $1.6 billion since its 1999 opening. Casting of Streep adds a level of prestige and comes at a time when the actress is coming off a the boffo mainstream pic playing the boss from hell in Fox 2000's comedy The Devil Wears Prada. An accomplished singer, Mamma Mia will be Streep's first full-blown musical after singing in Postcards From the Edge and Robert Altman's A Prairie Home Companion.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2008”