Frost/Nixon 2009

atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

cam wrote:Beautiful Mind, atomicage? Yuk.
I've come to understand that that's the general consensus among the people of this board.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Damien: Thanks for the news re Patty McCormick. I know that The Bad Seed was your "guilty pleasure". I saw it several times and of late, it has seemed really over the top. I can't forget the chill I got the first time I saw it though! Saw McCormick is something this month on TV. Didn't recognize her.
Re The Stag in the Queen. I got the symbolism. Did you not?
Re Frost/Nixon. Could be the redeeming of Ron Howard. IF, and that is a big IF, he does not play with it too much.
Beautiful Mind, atomicage? Yuk.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

dws1982 wrote:
atomicage wrote:
Damien wrote:
13 months ago, many people predicted big things Oscar-wise for The History Boys, a play which cleaned up at the Tonys and nada.

I skip most of Ron Howard's movies but I can't wait for Frost/Nixon for one reason and one reason only -- Pat Nixon is being played by . . . Patty McCormack. Go Rhoda!!!

Ah yes. I do remember that. Wes actually predicted History Boys would be nominated, and that Richard Griffiths would win for it. But you know what? Frost/Nixon could be the Angels of America of 2008, a minimalistic play that makes a huge-hit film.

How is Angels in America a minimalistic play?
You know what I mean by "minimalistic", yes? In case not, its simply a play that uses as little set pieces as possible. And productions that I have seen of the show have actually keep set work to a minimum, and the play as a whole still works. It's quite possible, and quite common.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

atomicage wrote:
Damien wrote:
atomicage wrote:Seeing as how Langella won a Tony Award for playing Nixon in the play on Broadway, I think that he and Michael Sheen (who is revamping his role as Frost) could be due for nominations and/or awards. After all, Langella's never been nominated, and neither has Sheen (though he should have been for Queen last year).

13 months ago, many people predicted big things Oscar-wise for The History Boys, a play which cleaned up at the Tonys and nada.

I skip most of Ron Howard's movies but I can't wait for Frost/Nixon for one reason and one reason only -- Pat Nixon is being played by . . . Patty McCormack. Go Rhoda!!!

Ah yes. I do remember that. Wes actually predicted History Boys would be nominated, and that Richard Griffiths would win for it. But you know what? Frost/Nixon could be the Angels of America of 2008, a minimalistic play that makes a huge-hit film.
How is Angels in America a minimalistic play?
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

No kidding. She's got a resume as long as my arm, for crying out loud.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:
Damien wrote:I skip most of Ron Howard's movies but I can't wait for Frost/Nixon for one reason and one reason only -- Pat Nixon is being played by . . . Patty McCormack. Go Rhoda!!!

Really? Oh, FABULOUS!
OMG, that is just fantastic!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:I skip most of Ron Howard's movies but I can't wait for Frost/Nixon for one reason and one reason only -- Pat Nixon is being played by . . . Patty McCormack. Go Rhoda!!!
Really? Oh, FABULOUS!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Damien wrote:
atomicage wrote:Seeing as how Langella won a Tony Award for playing Nixon in the play on Broadway, I think that he and Michael Sheen (who is revamping his role as Frost) could be due for nominations and/or awards. After all, Langella's never been nominated, and neither has Sheen (though he should have been for Queen last year).

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Seeing as how Langella won a Tony Award for playing Nixon in the play on Broadway, I think that he and Michael Sheen (who is revamping his role as Frost) could be due for nominations and/or awards. After all, Langella's never been nominated, and neither has Sheen (though he should have been for Queen last year).

I actually like some of Howard's work. Get ready.... The Grinch Who Stole Christmas! GASP! I know. Many found it a terrible film, me included. But there is something so fun and lively, its hard to hate a film in which everyone seems to love what they're doing. Plus A Beautiful Mind...

If this is good, its main competition at this point could be Lovely Bones next year.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Damien wrote:And with Ron Howard helming, there's not going to be much added by the director.
Seems like it would be so promising for Langella to break out for an award, but Ron Howard could only hurt his chances by making yet another poor film
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It was a play about nothing much -- there was no real subtext, just as there wasn't with Last Ling or The Queen (although that stag was certainly intended to symbolize something. And with Ron Howard helming, there's not going to be much added by the director.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Yeah. Screenwriter Peter Morgan wrote it, and they are having him adapt it. I'm glad to hear that, especially after his screenplays The Queen and Last King of Scotland won their lead actors Oscars.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Great! Then we don't have too long to wait! Cam
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

imdb says it will be released in 2008.

Return to “2008”