DiCaprio and Winslet reuniting

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Penelope wrote:(after all, I personally thought American Beauty was about 35 years late).
I just thought it was shit.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, I read Revolutionary Road this week and...um, it's a fine novel, but not a great novel, and the latter day accollades for it are a mystery to me. (In case you didn't know, Revolutionary Road was Richard Yates' first novel, published in 1961; despite being nominated for the National Book Award, it sold only some 12,000 or so copies; though he continued to publish over the next 20 odd years, he never enjoyed bestselling status, and by the 90s all his books were out of print; they've been rediscovered in the past 10 years, are back in print, and Revolutionary Road is considered to be some kind of mid-20th century masterpiece.)

That's pushing it, to me (there are any number of other authors from that and other eras who are more deserving of rediscovery, I should think). This isn't to say that Yates is without merit; there are many passages in Revolutionary Road that are quite impressive, and his characterizations are strong. But....

Revolutionary Road is a bitter tale of the shallow, suburban society of the 1950s, when America lost its rebellious edge (or so Yates--and others of the era--contend). Frank Wheeler and, especially, April Wheeler are victims of this, selling out their souls for the "American dream." The problem is that a) this didn't seem like such a revalatory idea--hadn't this already been a topic of discussion in literature and film by the tail end of the 50s? and b) the plot is sadly pedestrian--midway through I knew how it was going to end, and sure enough....

The truly great books, like the truly great movies, stick with you for days, even weeks and years afterwards; sometimes it might not hit you for a few days. But this isn't happening with Revolutionary Road--it isn't lingering; instead, as I closed the book, I thought, "That's it?"

So what does this mean for the film version? Well, one interesting aspect of reading the book was that I kept thinking that, had Revolutionary Road been made into a movie soon after it was initially published, I could see Mark Robson directing with Paul Newman, Natalie Wood and Eileen Heckart starring (there are potential similarities to Peyton Place and From the Terrace)--and it probably woulda been better than the book.

But Sam Mendes is directing; the fact that he helmed the even more similar American Beauty is a bit disconcerting (after all, I personally thought American Beauty was about 35 years late). Still, the characters are strong--there's definitely some Oscar-bait material here for Kate and Leo, as well as for Kathy Bates and Michael Shannon in supporting roles. We'll see.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

That is true Sonic, but in the case of All the King's Men, it seemed like an oddity to me from the beginning. Penn didn't seem to fit the role at all. I've seen the original and it still works in 2007. I avoided the remake when it was in theaters, as did many other people, because it just didn't seem worth it from the trailers. And I think Sean Penn has been wonderful in some of his films.

This reunion with Kate and Leo may or may not work out, but it surely will get fans of Titanic excited.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:I don't know. With such wonderful actors in it, how can it be that bad?
Will we ever learn?

Go rent The House of the Spirits. Or last year's All the King's Men.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I don't know. With such wonderful actors in it, how can it be that bad?

I enjoyed both of Mendes previous films, especially Road to Perdition.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

God, Sam Mendes and a battling couple -- this thing has "stinker" all over it.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Kathy Bates Joins Her Titanic Co-Stars in Revolutionary Road

Kathy Bates has signed on to reteam with her Titanic co-stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road for DreamWorks, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

David Harbour, Michael Shannon and Zoe Kazan also are boarding the 1950s-set drama, which revolves around a suburban Connecticut couple whose relationship deteriorates into an endless cycle of squabbling, jealousy and recriminations.

Justin Haythe adapted Richard Yates' acclaimed 1961 novel, which was a finalist for the National Book Award.

Bates will play Mrs. Givings, who sells the couple their home and introduces them to the town. Harbour will play Shep Campbell, a neighbor. Shannon will play the son of Bates' character. And Kazan will play Maureen, secretary of DiCaprio's character, with whom she embarks on an affair.

Scott Rudin, John Hart, Bobby Cohen and Mendes are producing the film, which begins shooting outside New York in June.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Now then I know that Winslet is married to Mendes.

Speaking of "Road" movies, while waiting for this one to come out, I'm actually looking forward to the other "Road" movie: Reservation Road. 2 Oscar winners, 1 two-time Oscar nominee & 1 potential Oscar nominee heading the cast - I can't wait!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:Well, most New Yorkers tend to be low-keyed with celebrities, usually at most exchanging a a quick "hi." (When I saw Ethan Hawke, our eyes met and we smiled. It was electric. Magical. :D ) I think it's because everyone here respects other people's space.

The only celebrity I ever actually stopped and spoke to was Shari Lewis, who was alone in an ATM with me. I was absolutely tongue-tied, though. Lamb Chop's Mom! Awesome.

By the way, Pen, St. Hilary already lives in New York City.
Well, I suppose this is true. I've had the opportunity to serve some celebrities at the video store I work at on Long Island, and I never made a big deal out of it in front of them. It just seemed like the polite thing to do. A celebrity is a person, too, so I'm sure that while they sometimes like the attention, they like their quiet time to do normal things.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Check this out: there are two editions of Revolutionary Road available on Amazon.com; in the past 24 hours, one edition jumped from #295,642 to #242, while the other jumped from #18,696 to #22!

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Well, most New Yorkers tend to be low-keyed with celebrities, usually at most exchanging a a quick "hi." (When I saw Ethan Hawke, our eyes met and we smiled. It was electric. Magical. :D ) I think it's because everyone here respects other people's space.

The only celebrity I ever actually stopped and spoke to was Shari Lewis, who was alone in an ATM with me. I was absolutely tongue-tied, though. Lamb Chop's Mom! Awesome.

By the way, Pen, St. Hilary already lives in New York City.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Wow. New Yorkers are more respectful. This should make us all proud. Never would've thought I'd hear that from anyone, but it is a nice change from the old traditional view of New York, especially NYC, that rudeness is just part of the culture. How times change.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, I'm sure at least Damien will like this:

Kate Winslet Moving To US Due To UK Press
Hollywood star Kate Winslet and husband Sam Mendes have turned their backs on Britain for good - driven away by the country's intrusive media. The couple and their children Mia, six, and Joe, three, now live full-time in New York - and insist they have no plans to return.

Winslet explains, "You'd see them (photographers) hiding in the trees and try desperately to ignore them because you don't want your child affected by it.

"It's weird and freaky. You just don't want someone you don't know taking a photograph of your small child. It's sick.

"It's better in New York. New Yorkers are much more respectful, not just the press but the people."

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Greg wrote:
Penelope wrote:OMG. OMG. OMG.

I think I'm going to spontaneously combust!!!!

:p :p :p

Does this mean you're joining akash and me in the bi club?
No, thanks for the invite, but I'll remain strictly homosexual. J'adore Kate, but I'd be thinking about Leo the whole time and that wouldn't be fair to her.

Return to “2008”