"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is being remade - Is nothing sacred?

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

It's absurd. Can't Hollywood make their own classics anymore?

The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of the great sci-fi films of all-time.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I knew this would happen sooner or later. Remakes are seldom as good or better than the film. But I guess it all depends on who's directing the damn thing and whether or not they'll do anything different or unique to the material.

I'm gonna say it right now: Johnny Depp as Klaatu.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

My impression is that the studio execs think if they take these classic sci-fi stories and retell them with the advanced special effects and more explicit violence and language permitted in today's films, they will make an even better film. They should know better.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

MovieWes, I know you didn't write that piece, but I'm going to hijack this thread because it features one of my pet peeves, and it just kills me everytime I see it:

Grammatically incorrect: "...try and..."

Grammatically correct: "...try to..."

So it should read: "...an alien and a robot that land on Earth to try to save the world from being destroyed."

That's all.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hopefully, it will continue the long line of remade failures at the box office. One of these days, they'll stop...but since the studios themselves have run out of ideas, I don't know what they are going to do next...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

One of the most depressing things I've ever heard...

'The Day the Earth Stood Still' to get a big screen update at Fox

Box Office Mojo recently updated a release date listing for 2008 for a Fox produced "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake, and FirstShowing.net acquired confirmation from Fox that it is set to happen and will be released on May 9th, 2008, one week after Iron Man.

The original 1951 film is a sci-fi classic about an alien and a robot that land on Earth to try and save the world from being destroyed. No director or additional information has yet been announced, but is expected soon. Could we see a big time director helming this classic sci-fi remake - we'll see soon enough.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2008”