A Remake That No One Asked For

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

They've already destroyed what would have been a solid popcorn movie, let's see the misery they will wring from (the superior and more complex) Angels & Demons.

edit: It feels strange calling A&D "complex", and "superior" to DVC...but I can't deny I enjoyed it more, reading it after DVC.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:You mean like Paul Haggis and Akiva Goldsman go through life thinking they're great writers?
and brian grazer thinks he is a great producer...and keira knightley thinks she is a great actress...and adam sandler thinks he is funny...and jack nicholson thinks he is desirable to women...and tyler perry thinks he is good at everything...etc.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think the only truly fabulous film Ron Howard has directed is Parenthood, mostly because he assembled a fabulous cast and then let them do their thing. The scene with Keanu Reeves discussing masterbation with Dianne Weist is priceless, as is Steve Martin's birthday party rambunctiousness. Everything else has been a disappointment.

And of course, his work on Arrested Development was priceless.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
flipp525 wrote:And Angels and Demons is not a "follow-up" to The DaVinci Code. It's a prequel. Who wrote this article for Variety?

Actually it's neither. It was a book written prior to The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown and takes place in the Vatican but its religious background aside is totally unrelated to the other work. I read it before the world-wide success of The DaVinci Code made it a "must read" and liked it better, though on screen, especially in Howard's hands, it will probably be an overheated mess.

actually, the article is correct. howard and co decided to rewrite the book as a sequel to the film.

i hate, hate, hate ron howard. he made one good film his entire life (APOLLO 13) and has spent the rest of his career destroying the art of cinema.

sometimes i wish we had film censorship like they do in china, but instead they would only release films that were well made. i know that is completely subjective and no one would agree, but you can smell a ron howard crap film a mile away. sorry for the rant, i just hate that ron howard goes through life thinking he is a good director.
While I agree that these remakes/sequels are absurd ideas, I would not say that Apollo 13 was Howard's only good film.

Audiences have loved such films as the Oscar-winning Cocoon, Willow, Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind and Oscar-nominated Cinderella Man.

He's a good director. Perhaps not in the pantheon of the greats, but he can make good films.

The Da Vinci Code was a huge mistake on his part, and a sequel is just his and Brian Grazer's way of saying "screw-you" to all the critics who (rightly) blasted it. They should go back to lighter fare for a while and see if they can regain their senses.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You mean like Paul Haggis and Akiva Goldsman go through life thinking they're great writers?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:
flipp525 wrote:And Angels and Demons is not a "follow-up" to The DaVinci Code. It's a prequel. Who wrote this article for Variety?

Actually it's neither. It was a book written prior to The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown and takes place in the Vatican but its religious background aside is totally unrelated to the other work. I read it before the world-wide success of The DaVinci Code made it a "must read" and liked it better, though on screen, especially in Howard's hands, it will probably be an overheated mess.
actually, the article is correct. howard and co decided to rewrite the book as a sequel to the film.

i hate, hate, hate ron howard. he made one good film his entire life (APOLLO 13) and has spent the rest of his career destroying the art of cinema.

sometimes i wish we had film censorship like they do in china, but instead they would only release films that were well made. i know that is completely subjective and no one would agree, but you can smell a ron howard crap film a mile away. sorry for the rant, i just hate that ron howard goes through life thinking he is a good director.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Ron's remake of Birth Of A Nation will, I think, be better even than Far And Away.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The same objection deserves to be applied to the initiative without sense to film the remake of Hitchcock´s The Birds.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good Lord! Was Howard going to remake East of Eden? We must do anything we can to keep him away from it!
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

What happened to East of Eden?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Big Magilla wrote:

I haven't read Angels & Demons in a long time, but I seem to remember Robert Langdon (the character Hanks played in The Da Vinci Code) performing some physical stunts, especially toward the end of the story, that would give Indiana Jones pause. If Goldsman decides to stay with the book, I wonder if Hanks would be the right actor.

Incidentally, I thought Hanks was fine in Da Vinci. I was just not a fan of the book or film.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Let´s the Goddess come to help Swank´s limitations.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:Oh My God! Will be able the vulgarity of Howard to approach the subtility of Haneke?

Proportionally, I would think, yes.

This is an absolutely repulsive idea. The only thing that could possibly make it any worse is if Howard casts Hilary Swank in the Binoche role.

So, let´s wait for Winslet´s call.
No, I hope the Goddess stays far away from this project.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:Oh My God! Will be able the vulgarity of Howard to approach the subtility of Haneke?

Proportionally, I would think, yes.

This is an absolutely repulsive idea. The only thing that could possibly make it any worse is if Howard casts Hilary Swank in the Binoche role.
So, let´s wait for Winslet´s call.

Return to “2008”