Mad World Sequel

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

This has got to be one of the sillier ideas I've heard in a while. Not only are they bringing back old series like Superman, Rocky, Rambo and Indiana Jones, and remaking movies that don't need to be remade (Halloween), they are planning a sequel to a forty year old comedy. And not a comedy that should have a sequel. Oh, it had its moments during it's lengthy running time. As Big Magilla said, no classic, though.

On the other hand, it would be fun to see those stars in a film together in major parts again. Get a good script, toss in some newer stars who are actually good, and keep the running time short (hour and 1/2 or 2 hours). Maybe it could work as nostalgia or something?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That thing was no "classic". Isn't Karen Sharpe making enough money off mher residiuals? Oh, I forgot, she was a lousy actress, probably isn't gettigng many residuals.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hd. Reporter

Race on as pair set 'Mad World' sequel

By Borys Kit

Jan 9, 2007
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" just got a little madder.

Ed Bass, one of the producers behind "Bobby," and Karen Sharpe Kramer, the widow of "Mad World" director Stanley Kramer, have teamed to make a sequel to the comedy classic.

Titled "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD World," the film would be, like the 1963 film, a large ensemble movie mixing comics and dramatic actors. The story follows the descendants of the characters from the first movie who are thrust into another madcap chase to find a cache of money after it is revealed that the money found in the first movie was counterfeit.

Bass' relationship with the sequel began in 1991 when he produced the "Mad World" documentary "Something a Little Less Serious" with Stanley Kramer. The two began planning a sequel, but Kramer became ill, and the project was put on hold. Kramer died in 2001.

A sequel was further derailed when Paramount released 2001's "Rat Race," which had a similar concept.

Bass reconnected last year with Karen Sharpe Kramer -- who held the rights and had produced a TV remake of her husband's Western classic "High Noon" -- when making "Bobby." The Robert F. Kennedy biopic is recently nominated for a SAG Award for best ensemble as well as a Golden Globe for best motion picture drama.

"I wanted to do a follow-up to 'Bobby,' which had a one of the best casts ever assembled, and was wondering what to do next," Bass said. "Then I learned that Bobby (Kennedy) was at the premiere of 'Mad World' back in '63. I said, All right, all the signs are there."

No director is attached, and Bass and Kramer plan to finance the pic independently.

The duo want the sequel to be have an even bigger cast than the original, and they hope to involve actors from the original movie.

"Now is the time to make this picture while members of the original film can still appear in cameos," said Kramer, referring to such cast members as Jonathan Winters, Mickey Rooney, Sid Caesar, Edie Adams, Carl Reiner, Peter Falk and Jerry Lewis.

George Barris -- the car designer and car customizer behind such famed screen vehicles as the Batmobile, the Monkeemobile and KITT, the car from "Knight Rider" -- is designing cars for the movie.

Return to “2008”