Peter Jackson to Adapt Temeraire

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Studios Pull Out of Jackson 'Halo' Movie

Film-maker Peter Jackson is disappointed after Hollywood studios Fox and Universal pulled out of financing video game movie Halo, reportedly because they are worried at its escalating budget. Movie bosses had asked executive producer Jackson and computer game giant Microsoft to reduce their profit margins on the reported $200 million project - a request which both allegedly refused. The studios were also concerned that the costly film is being made by a first-time director, Neill Blomkamp. But Jackson spokesman Ken Kamins says, "The only budget the film-makers every spoke about was $145 million less the 12.5 per cent rebate that you get from shooting in New Zealand, which would put it at about $128 million. That was the only number that was ever discussed."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

He is planning to direct first of all The Lovely Bones.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I wonder if this means that he's not going to direct "The Hobbit."

Peter Jackson to Adapt Temeraire

Peter Jackson is eyeing his next fantasy series, optioning "Temeraire." The historical fantasy series ("His Majesty's Dragon," "Throne of Jade" and "Black Powder War") was written by Naomi Novik.

The "Temeraire" saga reimagines the world of the Napoleonic Wars with the addition of an air force of dragons and valiant aviators. It centers on British naval Capt. Will Laurence, who captures a French ship, where he discovers an unhatched dragon egg in the hold -- a gift from the Emperor of China intended for Napoleon. When the egg hatches, he is forced to give up his naval career to become captain of the dragon he names Temeraire.

" 'Temeraire' is a terrific meld of two genres that I particularly love -- fantasy and historical epic," Jackson said. "I can't wait to see Napoleonic battles fought with a squadron of dragons. That's what I go to the movies for."

Jackson also is looking to take the books into the realm of interactive entertainment.

Novik wrote the first "Temeraire" book in 2004. When Del Rey saw it, the publisher asked for two more books. The series was launched in the spring.

"As I was reading these books, I could see them coming to life in my mind's eye," Jackson said. "These are beautifully written novels, not only fresh, original and fast-paced, but full of wonderful characters with real heart."

Jackson has not yet decided whether he will make one movie or three or if the books can be introduced by other media first.

In that vein, Jackson has optioned Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" and is writing the adaptation with partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens on spec with the intent of speaking to distributors after the script is done. He plans to direct the movie in the second-half 2007.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2008”