Nine

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Good to hear the news about Mrs. Tee, and thank you for sharing her thoughts!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Great news, Tee. Also, thanks for sharing her opinions on the film with us.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Wonderful news, Tee! And I hope that you're also over all the lingering difficulties from your accident.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:For those who expressed interest: my wife has at last begun a return to health, after more than two years of ghastly symptoms that had defied diagnosis.
Oh my! I had no idea this was so serious. I am so glad to hear she is on the road to recovery.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

So glad to hear that Mrs Tee is on the road to recovery.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Good to read, Mister Tee.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Indeed, good to hear.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Very good to see that Mrs. Tee is doing better. Hope it continues.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Mister Tee wrote:For those who expressed interest: my wife has at last begun a return to health, after more than two years of ghastly symptoms that had defied diagnosis.
Today it's Easter in Eastern Christianity and I can assure you Mister Tee that that was the best news I heard all day.
Thank God everything turned out OK.

From what you wrote, it seems like you lived through a ''House'' episode, thankfully one with a happy ending.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those who expressed interest: my wife has at last begun a return to health, after more than two years of ghastly symptoms that had defied diagnosis. We finally, last night, discussed this movie of Nine, of which (to give you an idea of how removed she'd been) she'd been unaware till then.

Her thoughts were like those of many of us: couldn't they find some singers? She admires Daniel Day-Lewis, but notes he's not Italian (or even pass-for, as Banderas and Julia were) and there's been no indication he can sing a note. She thought Cotillard came closest to good casting, with Kidman not far behind. She acknowledges Dench has a musical theatre background, but suggests she doesn't have the legs for Folies Bergere (though few could match Montevecchi, around whom the role was developed). She's never been impressed with Penelope Cruz and, again, wonders about the pipes.

As for her own role...she said, okay, but wondered if she wasn't a bit young for a veterna whore. Then she Googled, and found out Fergie is only about two years younger than she was when she played the part.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Penelope wrote:Oh, I'm sorry. I hope it's nothing serious and she enjoys a swift recovery.
Thanks for the wish. It's been going on way too long to qualify for quick recovery, but we've recently got what we think is a solid diagnosis and hope it can be dealt with relatively soon.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, I'm sorry. I hope it's nothing serious and she enjoys a swift recovery.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Penelope wrote:I'm curious to know: has Mrs. Tee commented on the casting for the film?
Sorry -- just caught this.

Unhappily, Mrs. Tee has not been in good health for some time, and we've not discussed the subject. I'll let you know if we get to it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:If the Tony nominations for the original 1982 Broadway production and the 2003 revival are any indication, Daniel Day-Leiws (Guido), Marion Cotillard (Luisa), Penelope Cruz (Carla) and Judi Dench (Liliane La Fleur) are the most likely Oscar nominees out of a cast that also includes Nicole Kidman, Kate Judson, Sophia Loren and Fergie in the role originated by Missus Tee.

Both Raul Julia and Antonio Banderas were Tony nominated for playing Guido as were Karen Akers and Mary Stuart Masterson for playing Luisa. Liliane Montevecchi won for plying Liliane La Fleur in the original while Chita Rivera was nominated for reprising the role in the revival. Jane Krakowski won for playing Carla in the revival. Anita Morris had been nominated for playing her in the original.
Although may I point out that Kate Hudson has an added song in the new film...it is the kind of showy role that never had enough to do, but if this is a big production number she could sneak in. Carla also has a new song I believe.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm curious to know: has Mrs. Tee commented on the casting for the film?

Return to “2009”