Nine

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I haven't made a "good" bold prediction since I predicted Titanic would become the biggest money maker of all time and sweep the Oscars when everyone else was predicting it would be a huge flop.

OK - here's one: Mo'Nique will not only not win, she won't even be nominated.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1242336948
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Films and performances that are hits at Sundance do not necessarily translate into critical faves and awards winners when they are actually released. Besides which it's a bit early to be having "serious" discussions about next year's Supporting Actress nominees, let alone winner. But we shall see. Oprah is producing the film which means it'll get a big push.
"Stay tuned" and "we shall see" are very non-committal, essentially meaningless phrases of prognosticators who don't wish to go out on a limb. It's never too early for a good bold prediction.

Also, my post was about nominations, not winner predictions.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was being facetious.

Mo'Nique is her stage name. Monique Imes is her actual name and I have heard of her, but don't think I've ever seen her in anything.

Films and performances that are hits at Sundance do not necessarily translate into critical faves and awards winners when they are actually released. Besides which it's a bit early to be having "serious" discussions about next year's Supporting Actress nominees, let alone winner. But we shall see. Oprah is producing the film which means it'll get a big push.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Slightly off-topic, but OscarGuy I was wondering when you will be creating a Predictions section for the 82nd Oscars. With the trailer for two major Oscar-bait films having been released (NINE and THE ROAD), now might be the time for some of us to seriously start debating how correct our predictions are and how wrong everyone else's are. :;):

Not to hurry you along or anything. This is your forum and if you have a set schedule on when you plan to open up the new Predictions section, far be it for me to rush you. Just wanted to make a friendly suggestion. Thanks!

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1242565457
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The earliest touted Best Supporting Actress performance typically is at the very least nominated (see Cate Blanchett and Amy Ryan in 2007; Jennifer Hudson in 2006; Cate Blanchett again in 2004, etc). Since Mo'Nique won the Sundance Jury prize for acting and her role has been heavily buzzed about by several reviewers, I'm invoking The Original BJ's bird-in-the-hand rule for her nomination next year. By all reports, her performance in the upcoming film Precious has a Shelley Winters in A Patch of Blue meets James Coburn in Affliction with a dash of The Color Purple kind of quality.

Eric was the first to mention her as a contender on this board.

Edited By flipp525 on 1242334312
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

You're now officially eligible for social security payments.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Monique who?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Dench, on the other hand, could pull off her seventh nomination and second win. Stay tuned.

I don't think any serious discussion of next year's Best Supporting Actress race can take place without mentioning Mo'Nique at this point.

Edited By flipp525 on 1242329688

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'll be curious to see if Marshall reprises his do-the-numbers-as-if-onstage technique from Chicago. Several of them, at least from the flashes here, seem to be done that way. I wonder if he justifies them as numbers within the film Guido's making.

Again just from the brief flash, the staging of my wife's number appears almost indistinguishable from the original Tune version.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can't tell a whole lot from the trailer. Cinematography, art direction, costume design and sound seem assured of nominations. Best picture and director depend on the competition as well as the film's overall quality. As for acting, Day-Lewis, Cotillard and Cruz could be nominated in three of the four most substatital roles but are unlikely to win so soon after their recent victories. Dench, on the other hand, could pull off her seventh nomination and second win. Stay tuned.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1242329824
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:The trailer.

This looks good even Fergie's singing!

It should be a shoo-in for at least a Cinematography nomination.

By the looks of the trailor the film seems to be well onto getting more than that one Oscar nod you are predicting.

Edited By Reza on 1242307896
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The trailer.

This looks good even Fergie's singing!

It should be a shoo-in for at least a Cinematography nomination.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm glad to hear things are going so much better for you now, Tee and that you'll get to spend many more years with your beloved.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm overwhelmed by all this response, and I'm sure my wife will be, too.

taki, a friend of ours had made the comment about two months ago, that we needed a Dr. House to step in. It didn't happen exactly that way; in fact, the crucial diagnosis came almost by accident. She'd been sent to a clinic, but got so sick there that they sent her to an emergency room in a ritzy part of Philly, where they did a test (one previous G.I. doctors had dismissed as too expensive and unlikely to be worthwhile) and found a relatively simple explanation. With relatively simple treatment, her recovery, while hardly complete, has been so dramatic no one in my family can believe it. It's just too bad they couldn't have discovered this a year ago, before she lost about 100 pounds. (That's not a typo. We truly thought she might die)

Damien, thanks for asking about the arm. I'm finally out of physical therapy, but I still do half an hour's worth of exercise per night to try and get more range back. The saving grace is, I get to pop a Hydrocodone before, which leads to sweet and restful sleep.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Glad to hear Mrs. Tee is is recuperating. Those undiagnosed illnesses take their toll both physically and emotionally. My 12 year-old nephew has been going through a gastro-intestinal thing since last Fall that they still haven't figured out. He missed so much school that they put him on an independent study program where he only meets with his teachers for three hours each week. Despite his problems, he's still an A student, but he no longer wants to a doctor. He's figured out there's only one House, and he's on TV.

Return to “2009”