Nine

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

From Playbill.com:

Weinstein Considering Big Names for Nine Film

By Zachary Pincus-Roth
16 Apr 2007

Harvey Weinstein is considering casting big stars for the Weinstein Company's recently announced film version of Nine, the New York Post reports.

Weinstein told the paper, "I'm thinking Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway, Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renée Zellweger" for the six major female roles, who sing and dance opposite a central male role of a movie director.

The Post reports that Weinstein and the director Rob Marshall are considering George Clooney, Javier Bardem, Antonio Banderas and Johnny Depp for the movie director role, played by Raul Julia originally on Broadway and Banderas in a 2003 Broadway revival.

The musical has songs by Maury Yeston and a book by Arthur Kopit and won the 1982 Tony Award for Best Musical. The 2003 Broadway production won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical.

The venture reunites Marshall with Harvey Weinstein, who headed Miramax when Marshall directed "Chicago" for the studio in 2002. "Chicago" won six Oscars, including best picture.

Marshall and John DeLuca will co-choreograph "Nine," which they also did for "Chicago." A screenwriter and cast have yet to be found.

Marshall also directed the film "Memoirs of a Geisha" and co-directed the smash Broadway revival of Cabaret.

Nine was inspired by the Federico Fellini film "8 1/2." The Yeston score includes such tunes as "Be On Your Own," "Unusual Way" and "My Husband Makes Movies."

I'm assuming Zeta-Jones would be Luisa (the wife), Kidman would be Carla (the mistress), Paltrow would be Claudia (the movie star), Dench would be LeFleur (the producer), Hathaway would be Necropolis and Zellwegger would be Lina Darling?? What happened to his mother, I wonder?

Tripp

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1176734374
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Some American idol reject could be asked to play the Anita Morris/Jane Krakowski role hoping that lighning will strike twice.

How about Gina Glocksen? She's one I'd love to see emerge from the Idol pyre. I liked her attitude this season.

Edited By flipp525 on 1176474466
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Banderas would be the logical choice for the lead, but they will probably go for more marquee names for the women's roles. Catherine Zeta Jones, Banderas' Zorro co-star and an Oscar winner for Marshall's Chicago, would be a logical candidate, probably for the wife played by Karen Akers and Mary Stuart Masterson in the Broadway versions. Banderas' Evita co-star Madonna is likely to be asked to play the Liliane Montevecchi/Chita Rivdera role. Other than that the casting is wide open. Some American idol reject could be asked to play the Anita Morris/Jane Krakowski role hoping that lighning will strike twice.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Hmm, this is an interesting choice. It is a very cinematic musical in some ways (coming from its source), and I think Marshall could be the right director to tackle it.

I saw the 2003 revival, and thought it a very strong production. I for one wouldn't mind seeing Banderas reprise his role, nor any of the wonderful women in the cast (might Karowski and Rivera be possilibities?). I love both recordings, and think this is one of most underrated musicals of all-time (and Yestin is most certainly the most unfairly neglected composer of modern musical theatre). If this will bring more people to the source material, fabulous.

Mister Tee, I know you and your family have an attachment to the material. Any thoughts?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I've never seen the stage show, or even heard any of the songs; I'm sure Italiano will be over the moon about Marshall directing a musical film based on Fellini's 8 1/2.

Marshall to direct 'Nine'
Director to adapt stage hit for Weinsteins
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Rob Marshall will direct a feature version of the stage hit "Nine" for the Weinstein Co.
Marshall and Harvey Weinstein previously teamed on "Chicago," the 2002 Miramax musical that won six Oscars, including picture.

Movie will be produced by Marshall and John DeLuca through their Lucamar Prods. banner. Marshall and DeLuca will also choreograph the film together, as they did "Chicago."

Marshall and TWC co-chairs Harvey and Bob Weinstein are in the process of securing a screenwriter.

Music and lyrics are by Maury Yeston, composer and lyricist of the original 1982 Broadway production written by Arthur Kopit. TWC acquired rights from Kopit and Yeston, who'll be co-exec producers.

Originally adapted by Mario Fratti, with a book by Kopit, the musical was inspired by the Fellini film "8½" and focused on a film director stuck in neutral as he tries to make a movie while haunted by the demands of all the women in his life, including a wife, mistress and even his deceased mother.

The original stage production was directed by Tommy Tune and starred Raul Julia, with Liliane Montevecchi and Anita Morris heading the list of women who haunted him. It won five Tony Awards, including musical. Antonio Banderas starred in a 2002 revival that won two Tonys, including revival.

"After I finished 'Memoirs of a Geisha,' I began looking intensely at (other projects), including remakes of movies, originals and Broadway musicals," Marshall said. "Nine" has a "seamlessness between reality and fantasy that is built into the fabric of the material."

Marshall said he'd like to lock in his leading man and actresses early and custom-fit the script to them.

"This one needs to be created specifically for the talent involved, to suit their strengths," he said. "Casting will be a big issue here, and if commitments complicate things, it will be 2009."
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2009”