The Blind Side

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

No, but I mean in CORRECT English, not idiomatic... Because in any other language "Italy and other important countries" doesnt mean "all the other important countries". So what did I say? It's very important.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

As a lifelong English speaker and a former English teacher, I'd say you both should apologize to each other.

The statement can be taken both ways. By purely denotative standards, your words do not indicate that you mean all other important European countries. However, in idiomatic English, the statement implies that all important European countries are following Italy's lead in not releasing the film.

From what it looks like to me, the more populous European countries (Italy, France) that are choosing not to release the film to theatres are the ones where American "football" has never made inroads of popularity, while the populous countries that are releasing it (Germany, UK) have had some exposure to the sport, having hosted WLAF teams for a number of years before that league went bust. So while the fact of a release may or may not depend on the quality of the film, it might just as likely be about the local population's interest in the sport it depicts.

For my part I've never seen The Blind Side and perhaps I never will (or perhaps I will one day if the right opportunity arises). I found that spoof script an absolutely hilarious confirmation of my preconceptions of it, though I notice the writer in fact gives the film two and a half stars, so he must not have hated it as much as his spoof implies. The Crash script was also pricelessly funny and dead-on, though poking around at some of the others on his site it's clear that the sharpness of his satire is pretty inconsistent.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Please don't bring me back into this.

I wrote in another thread that on second viewing neither the film nor Bullock's performance hold up.

As for your question about the English language,"Italy and other important countries" can be interpreted either way. You meant it one way and OG interpreted it another. You might have said "Italy, among other European countries" to avoid confusion.

Why it's going straight to video in countries that would ordinarily book a film with an Oscar winning performance into theatres I don't know. Maybe it's something as simple as Warner Bros. wanting to recoup their investment as quickly as possible by putting a film already out on DVD in the U.S. out on DVD in countries where DVD sales outsell theatre tickets.

It would be a good question for Warner Bros. marketers.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:What you said, and I quote, was: "and in other important European countries"

So, by you saying that, you are classifying countries like Germany, UK, Denmark and so forth (the ones I listed) as unimportant. So, you are, in actuality, wrong. You may not have said ANY, but you did say "other important European countries" and my post utterly refutes that statement. Had you listed specific countries, perhaps you would have been right, but you are essentially wrong.

You may want to revise your accusation against me be wrong when I just unequivocally proved your factual statement, of you being right and me being wrong, as an incorrect statement. An apology is in order, though certainly is not expected.

At this point I need an information not from Oscar Guy, but all those here who speak English better than me.

If I say "Italy and other important countries", does it mean ALL important countries of Europe? Or just SOME important countries?

Because if it means ALL the important countries, it's my mistake and of course I didnt mean that Germany or Uk arent important. So I am sorry, Oscar Guy - though you should know that my English is far from perfect.

But if it just means Italy and some other important countries, I hope that Oscar Guy will finally confess that he's wrong, and humbly admit it and say he's DEEPLY sorry. For this, and for having threatened me with a private messahe the moment I started expressing my opinions on The Blind Side, a movie he obviously loved. And for having compared me to Hitler in the past just because I didnt think that another of those tearjerkers he loves had any chance at the Oscars. He NEVER apologized, and I expect it NOW. Ok? NOW. But only if my concept was correctly expressed of course.

I know for sure that, like in Greece, even Italy is considering a straight-to-video release, sionething unheard of for an Oscar winner. Maybe it won't happen, but even just the fact that they are thinking about it says alot about how embarassing this movie is.

But of course Oscar Guy, Big Magilla, dws etc will defend it at any cost. It says alot about some people, doesnt it?

Edited By ITALIANO on 1271969761
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Reza wrote:
Cinemanolis wrote:As for me, i saw it for the second time during my flight from New York. It was even worse than i remembered.
I'm surprised you watched it a second time. Surely there was a choice of films to choose from...........anything else would have been better?
Unfortunately i was travelling with Delta, so there was no choice of film, i could only watch the one showing on the central screens.

The Invention of Lying
Whip It Up!

plus 4 films i had already seen
The Blind Side
Informant!
Star Trek
Fantastic Mr Fox
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Cinemanolis wrote:As for me, i saw it for the second time during my flight from New York. It was even worse than i remembered.
I'm surprised you watched it a second time. Surely there was a choice of films to choose from...........anything else would have been better?
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

It was just announced that "The Blind Side" will be a straight to DVD release in Greece too. As far as i recall, this is the first time that a film featuring a Best Actress performance is not released in cinemas in Greece.

As for me, i saw it for the second time during my flight from New York. It was even worse than i remembered.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1271957204
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

ETA: Nope, not worth it...

Edited By dws1982 on 1271945188
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What you said, and I quote, was: "and in other important European countries"

So, by you saying that, you are classifying countries like Germany, UK, Denmark and so forth (the ones I listed) as unimportant. So, you are, in actuality, wrong. You may not have said ANY, but you did say "other important European countries" and my post utterly refutes that statement. Had you listed specific countries, perhaps you would have been right, but you are essentially wrong.

You may want to revise your accusation against me be wrong when I just unequivocally proved your factual statement, of you being right and me being wrong, as an incorrect statement. An apology is in order, though certainly is not expected.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:Just because I feel like proving you wrong, Italiano, unless my geography is woefully out of date, Germany, Portugal, Austria, UK and Finland, are all part of "Europe". The film was released in all of those countries.

Maybe not Italy or Switzerland or France or Spain or Greece...who knows how distribs work. But, there is no argument here, just statements of fact.

In addition, the film opens in Denmark on May 6 and premieres on DVD in Russia on June 1.

Italy, Spain, France, Greece, Switzerland, Russia, Denmark and many others ARE important European countries, Oscar Guy - countries where USUALLY a Best Actress winner would have been shown weeks or months ago. I never said that it wasn't shown in ANY European country. So, again, as always, Oscar Guy is wrong, Italiano is right (at this point I wonder why you keep trying and always fail - masochism maybe?).

You should also read the kind of reviews the movie had in the European countries where it has been distributed. Or maybe not. It would hurt your American sensitiveness. Don't worry then and keep dreaming.

As for the dead horse thing - well, since for example the Roberto Benigni thing went on for years, dws (with your active contribution), I don't see why we should suddenly respect Sandra Bullock. I'm not part of the Ku Klux Klan and I will never be, sorry.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1271926348
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

This reminds me of a review I read by Roger Ebert for a film called Milk Money. I never saw that movie.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps....023
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Before OG and Italiano take over the thread with an argument, everyone read this, which is my favorite abridged script from The Editing Room:

http://www.the-editing-room.com/crash.html
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Just because I feel like proving you wrong, Italiano, unless my geography is woefully out of date, Germany, Portugal, Austria, UK and Finland, are all part of "Europe". The film was released in all of those countries.

Maybe not Italy or Switzerland or France or Spain or Greece...who knows how distribs work. But, there is no argument here, just statements of fact.

In addition, the film opens in Denmark on May 6 and premieres on DVD in Russia on June 1.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1271886985
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

No, beating a dead horse has nothing to do with the movie; it's constantly harping on the Best Actress race. Even when it's one of the lamest lineups of the year, like it was this year, it's always the one that gets the most discussion online.

Those editing room screenplays are usually pretty funny, and the one for The Blind Side was one of the best ones I've read.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

And by the way, this is the first time ever that, even months after the Oscars, the movie which got Best Actress still hasn't been shown in Italy (and in other important European countries). It's not because it's simply bad - thousands of bad movies are distributed in Italy every year - but because it's a movie that Italians would find ridiculous and would immediately reject, despite all the Oscars in the world.

Return to “2009”