Precious

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

And - again - I said it. I thought that, LIKE IN JENNIFER HUDSON'S CASE (I can shout it, I'm not afraid), this non-professional actress's peculiarities could be mistaken for real talent, or intentionally used to get sympathy and the votes (or the critical approval) that sympathy sometimes brings. I was relieved to see that the performance - while certainly relying on these things - had some good aspects in itself. All this can be considered racist only by someone who sees racism where it doesn't exist, maybe because it's inside himself.

Surprising especially from someone like you who's definitely not a racist.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1268061750
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:By the way, you'll notice that I had just made the comparison based on the talent;

Aha! And that was exactly the basis of my response.

See? You DIDN'T get it.

You said "I expected something really bad a la Jennifer Hudson"? Why? What do the two have in common that you expected an identically bad performance, as if the two were expected to be alike in terms of acting quailty, style, or aesthetic? What is it that makes you ponder the two of them and consider "They all act alike to me"?

I mean, not even the roles were similar. So it must have been something.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1268060359
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I guess we simply don't think that comparing two actresses who have some things in common (including, why not, race - or is it a taboo subject?) and who VERY POSSIBLY were honored at least partly for these things, or used in their movies for these reasons, is a major crime.

By the way, you'll notice that I had just made the comparison based on the talent; it was Sonic Youth's mind which THOUGHT of those "other" reasons and, in a typical way (a non-direct joke), provoked me to say them openly - which, of course, I did without any problem. But it was all already in his mind.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, Uri and Italiano, I have to side with SY on this one. I'd be curious to see how racial identities circulate in Italy/Israel, but you missed the mark on this one.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thanks Uri. But I'm afraid they will never change.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Uri wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:LOL, he doesn't get it at all.

Never mind. Have a great Oscar night, Marco!
He's getting it. It's those who hoity toitily believe in the feasibility of people being color blind that pretend not to get it. The accolades showered on these two young, inexperienced ladies had everything to do with the color of their skin and the volume of their body and the color (and way too often lack of body volume) of the majority of those who voted themselves and the way it made them feel good about themselves.
You're right. You got it.

It was one hundred percent NOT the point I was making at all, so technically you didn't even come close to getting it. But you got it.

Up is down! Good night!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Sonic Youth wrote:LOL, he doesn't get it at all.

He's getting it. It's those who hoity toitily believe in the feasibility of people being color blind that pretend not to get it. The accolades showered on these two young, inexperienced ladies had everything to do with the color of their skin and the volume of their body and the color (and way too often lack of body volume) of the majority of those who voted themselves and the way it made them feel good about themselves.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I do get it, trust me.

You too.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

LOL, he doesn't get it at all.

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm not American, so I'm not afraid of saying that a person is black or fat or EVEN (in tne case of Jennifer Hudson) a bad actress. Maybe because, Sonic Youth, I don't think that being black or being fat are negative terms. You do, it seems. But this is your problem.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:
Bog wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote: Is it because they're both tall?
well done SY...had me laughing
I found it stupid. They are both black, not slim and probably have other things in common - why shouldn't compare them? Not politically correct? Spare me.
No, you're right. There's the Stanislavsky aesthetic, the Lee Strasberg aesthetic, the Uta Hagen aesthetic, and the Sanford Meisner aesthetic. And then there's that school of the performing arts that those obese darkies hail from.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Well hell, they're basically the same person.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: Her nomination was 43 years ago.
43 years ago was in the 60s then, like I said.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bog wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:and I found Sidibe better than I expected - though to be honest I expected something really bad a la Jennifer Hudson.
Is it because they're both tall?
well done SY...had me laughing
I found it stupid. They are both black, not slim and probably have other things in common - why shouldn't compare them? Not politically correct? Spare me.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jocelyne LaGarde was not recent. Her nomination was 43 years ago. She's been dead for over thirty years.

I liked her. I also liked Sidibe, but her gushing "I still don't know anything" speech at the Spirit Awards leads me to think that Lee Daniels is a genius with actors even if his sense of style is lacking.

Return to “2009”