2009 box-office Predix - Why not?

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Clearly I misjudged you boys. If a baby having its face smashed by a car door is hilarious to you, that is all I need to know to judge you and your sense of humor.

Maybe I am just sensitive because I actual saw a baby's head get smashed while on a plane. The stressed out mother was not paying attention and lifted the baby up until it hit the ceiling of the small plane. The baby screamed the rest of the flight as the mother kept tearfully apologizing to the child and those who gasped in horror when it happened. Trust me, it is not funny when you see it in real life.
You're right, it's not funny when a real child bashes his head against something. Then we remember this is a movie, and a comedy. People laugh at things that are otherwise horrifying and disturbing, because they know it's not real. I would probably laugh for a different reason than Sabin. My laughter would be geared towards the mindset of "did that just happen? How irresponsible of them!"

We're talking about a medium where the worst situations involving drugs, sex, and death are made light of. Surely people can relate to getting drunk, wake up the next morning, and not know what the hell happened the night before. It doesn't have to be you, but there are people that find humor in those situations and that doesn't necessarily make them stupid for it.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:Also, that baby story sounds like the funniest thing to happen in the history of the planet.
I saw this, felt bad, and then thought of you guys. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YYGvpfIJI
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

THE HANGOVER has a 76% on rottentomatoes.

That is 1 percentage point above WEDDING CRASHERS, which I likewise loathed.

But check this out! On metacritic, Wedding Crashers got 64% whereas The Hangover got 73%. So there! That scientifically proves that you (and America) will like The Hangover.

Also, that baby story sounds like the funniest thing to happen in the history of the planet.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
MovieWes wrote:Umm... The Hangover has an 85% certified fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It and Drag Me to Hell are probably the most surprisingly well-reviewed movies of the summer so far. It could be on par with movies like Animal House and Wedding Crashers.

Don't mind rolo. He's not happy unless a move gets 123% on Rotten Tomatoes.

THE HANGOVER has a 76% on rottentomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10010667-hangover/

That is 1 percentage point above WEDDING CRASHERS, which I likewise loathed.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wedding_crashers/

Clearly I misjudged you boys. If a baby having its face smashed by a car door is hilarious to you, that is all I need to know to judge you and your sense of humor.

Maybe I am just sensitive because I actual saw a baby's head get smashed while on a plane. The stressed out mother was not paying attention and lifted the baby up until it hit the ceiling of the small plane. The baby screamed the rest of the flight as the mother kept tearfully apologizing to the child and those who gasped in horror when it happened. Trust me, it is not funny when you see it in real life.

I was basing my opinion on the film of the unrelenting advertisements (with the aforementioned and loathed baby abuse featured prominently), and the round-up of reviews that imdb provides. Some reviews were good, some were mixed, and some hated it. This quote in particular from Lisa Kennedy summed it up, "Consider it the movie equivalent of saying, 'It's not the heat, it's the humidity.' When it comes to The Hangover, it's not the filth, it's the unrelenting stupidity that makes this comedy oppressive."

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1244475359
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

MovieWes wrote:Umm... The Hangover has an 85% certified fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It and Drag Me to Hell are probably the most surprisingly well-reviewed movies of the summer so far. It could be on par with movies like Animal House and Wedding Crashers.
Don't mind rolo. He's not happy unless a move gets 123% on Rotten Tomatoes.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just don't like babies. Never saw the point of them.

Edited By Sabin on 1244426034
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sabin wrote:
Seriously though Zahveed and Sabin, what looks funny about it? The Mike Tyson cameo, the guy missing the tooth, the homophobic and sexist jokes, the baby getting hit in the face by a car door?
I think all of those things are funny, but you really don't get much funnier than a baby getting hit in the face with a car door.
A baby gets hit in the face with a car door? That's not stupid, that's genius!

I think we're confusing stupid comedy with stupid people in a comedy. It's a lot like how my grandmother says The Simpsons is a dumb show. The show isn't dumb, just the people in it.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

rolotomasi99 wrote:1) Up
$44,244,000

2) The Hangover
$43,275,000

Yay! Feeling much better. Sorry for my tantrum. Stupid people like stupid movies, I just do not understand why the stupid people out number the smart people. I am happy to see there are enough smart people to support a smart movie like UP.

Seriously though Zahveed and Sabin, what looks funny about it? The Mike Tyson cameo, the guy missing the tooth, the homophobic and sexist jokes, the baby getting hit in the face by a car door? A movie like SUPERBAD or I LOVE YOU MAN can be clever, but this just looks like R-rated Adam Sandler level humor. Did I miss something about this film that made it look clever or superior to all the other awful frat-boy comedies? Everyone is free to like what they like, I just thought this movie was designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Sorry if I got it wrong.
Umm... The Hangover has an 85% certified fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It and Drag Me to Hell are probably the most surprisingly well-reviewed movies of the summer so far. It could be on par with movies like Animal House and Wedding Crashers.

I've also liked some of Todd Phillip's other films. Road Trip and Old School are two of my guilty pleasures. And let's not forget that he's an Oscar-nominee (Best Adapted Screenplay for Borat).
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Seriously though Zahveed and Sabin, what looks funny about it? The Mike Tyson cameo, the guy missing the tooth, the homophobic and sexist jokes, the baby getting hit in the face by a car door?

I think all of those things are funny, but you really don't get much funnier than a baby getting hit in the face with a car door.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

1) Up
$44,244,000

2) The Hangover
$43,275,000

Yay! Feeling much better. Sorry for my tantrum. Stupid people like stupid movies, I just do not understand why the stupid people out number the smart people. I am happy to see there are enough smart people to support a smart movie like UP.

Seriously though Zahveed and Sabin, what looks funny about it? The Mike Tyson cameo, the guy missing the tooth, the homophobic and sexist jokes, the baby getting hit in the face by a car door? A movie like SUPERBAD or I LOVE YOU MAN can be clever, but this just looks like R-rated Adam Sandler level humor. Did I miss something about this film that made it look clever or superior to all the other awful frat-boy comedies? Everyone is free to like what they like, I just thought this movie was designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Sorry if I got it wrong.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
I fucking hate this country! Why are people so stupid? Why do they enjoy stupid movies?

My guess: stupid people enjoy stupid movies. Much like smart people liking smart movies and women liking chick flicks.

Can we stop them from breeding and making more stupid people?

They'll weed out eventually. Maybe they'll get attacked by a tiger or get punched out by Mike Tyson.

When a stupid action film makes big bucks I just assume it is because people like excitement and fun, but when a stupid comedy makes huge numbers like these a little bit of me dies.

I think people see comedies for the same reason.

I want to see this movie though. I apologize ahead of time for indirectly killing you.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

WOW! I was Capital-W Wrong.

The number one film of the weekend will be Up with $44 mil, raising its total to $137 mil dropping 35% from last weekend. This is the biggest PIXAR summer weekend since Finding Nemo.

The Hangover opens to a very strong $43 mil. Land of the Lost opens to a meager $20 mil. After Night at the Museum 2 and Up, audiences are ready for something else. Even if its a second viewing of Up.

Night at the Museum 2 will grab $14.5 down by 40% and bringing the total to $127. Star Trek dips another 33% for $8 mil, up to $223. Terminator 4 drags another 50% to $8 mil to $105 mil. Angels and Demons picked up $6.5 for $116 mil, and Wolverine grabbed $1.8 for a stalling total of $174.

THE TALLIES?
1. Star Trek - $222
2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $174
3. Up - $137
4. Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian - $127
5. Angels and Demons - $116
6. Terminator: Salvation - $105
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A) The Hangover looks really funny.

...and B) You'd prefer Land of the Lost win the weekend?
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Friday Estimates

THE HANGOVER
$16,535,000

I fucking hate this country! Why are people so stupid? Why do they enjoy stupid movies? Can we stop them from breeding and making more stupid people?

When a stupid action film makes big bucks I just assume it is because people like excitement and fun, but when a stupid comedy makes huge numbers like these a little bit of me dies. :angry:
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Proposal looks DOA. Sandra Bullock is not what she used to be. At. All. Some people might go to see Ryan Reynolds but I think this is sub-Ghosts of Girlfriends Past grosses.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2009”