2009 box-office Predix - Why not?

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
VanHelsing wrote:I think The Proposal will do My Big Fat Greek Wedding's numbers. YES! Thank you!
Ryan Reynolds is so yummy.

No offense to your beloved Sandra Bullock, but if Reynolds was the assistant to Hugh Jackman and they entered into a phony marriage to keep Jackman in the country...well, that is a movie I would pay to see. You know all the gay boys would be there, plus the straight ladies would love it. You might even get some closeted fan boys who would say they are going just to enjoy the "chemistry" between Wolverine and Deadpool.

All the movies in the alternative universe I live in are awesome. Sadly they never get made in the real world.
Your suggested premise seems much more entertaining than the real one. It's like a more respectable Chuck and Larry.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

VanHelsing wrote:I think The Proposal will do My Big Fat Greek Wedding's numbers. YES! Thank you!
Ryan Reynolds is so yummy.

No offense to your beloved Sandra Bullock, but if Reynolds was the assistant to Hugh Jackman and they entered into a phony marriage to keep Jackman in the country...well, that is a movie I would pay to see. You know all the gay boys would be there, plus the straight ladies would love it. You might even get some closeted fan boys who would say they are going just to enjoy the "chemistry" between Wolverine and Deadpool.

All the movies in the alternative universe I live in are awesome. Sadly they never get made in the real world.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I think The Proposal will do My Big Fat Greek Wedding's numbers. YES! Thank you!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This coming Friday gives us Land of the Lost which will certainly eat into it. I now anticipate a mild dip over the course of the next week but Up will perform better than I had initially anticipated. I still predict a $180 mil take which will place it beneath any other PIXAR film even whilst adjusting for inflation but certainly nothing to scoff at.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

With a 98% on RT and an A+ score from CinemaScore - and no real family competition until the dreck that will be Ice Age 3 - Up has the month of June to itself, and will be the movie to beat for the summer. We can reasonably count on a 4.0 internal multiplier for opening-weekend-to-final-gross, which would give it around $272M. Add in the foregone conclusion of an Oscar for Animated Feature and a very lucrative run on DVD, and Up continues the Pixar winning streak, which I am very happy about.

There were some websites showing concern about its Friday numbers, noting that Pixar is the rare beast where its movies, designed mainly for younger viewers, have a definite fanboy appeal to them. Every opening for the company since Cars has seen lower and lower Friday-to-Sunday multipliers, indicating a fanboy rush to see the movies on the first day. With Up's above 3.0 multiplier, it is a sign of very good things to come.

Due to circumstances, this was the first Pixar movie since Toy Story 2 that I didn't get to see during the opening weekend, but I cannot wait until Thursday night. I am also planning to see Drag Me to Hell sometime soon - what a weekend for quality releases and I missed out!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Up is expected to pull in $68 mil by the end of the weekend. I don't know what kind of legs this film will have but that's pretty awesome. PIXAR's winning streak continues.

Night at the Museum 2 dropped 53% for a $25 mil take raising its cum to $105 mil. With a $150 mil budget, it should turn a modest profit. Terminator 4 grabbed $16 dipping 62% for a $91 mil take. With a $200 mil budget before P&A, this is fairly alarming for a sequel that was fast-tracked before the Strike and was poised to relaunch a franchise. Star Trek grabs $13 mil and stands at $209, and Angels and Demons grabs $11 mil and stands at $105 mil. Dance Flick dropped 54% with a $5 mil take standing at almost $20 mil. And Wolverine grabbed almost $4 mil standing at $171 mil, which all things considered is much stronger than many had thought.

Drag Me to Hell took in almost $17 mil on 2.5 thousand screens with a $6,500-ish per screen. Pretty good.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Up opened to $21 mil (!) its opening day, only $2 mil behind WALL*E's opening day gross. Not bad. I hope it continues. Solid film that deserves to do very well. As expected, Up drank up a lot of Night at the Museum 2's footing as its Friday gross is a little above $7 mil, and faring worse is T4 with $5 mil on Friday.

Star Trek dipped less than 38% to pull in $3.8 on its fourth Friday as it moves past Monsters vs. Aliens to become the year's highest grossing film and crossed the $200 mil mark last Wednesday. And Angels and Demons continues to hang in with $3.4 mil on Friday for $97 mil down 43%. This is a lower drop than The Da Vinci Code but with a lower take. Worldwide, this film is doing gangbusters.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Witht the reviews bordering on ecstatic and little in way of competition for like-minded audiences, I predict DRAG ME TO HELL could be the sleeper hit of the summer. I could see it having a $40 million opening, with a $150 million or more final take.

Hopefully UP does $70 million or more its first weekend. Pixar films always deserve to rewarded for their excellence with financial success.

Two well made popcorn films released on the same weekend in the summer. Who would think such a thing was possible?

*edit*
Nevermind! Friday estimates make it look like UP will make $65 million (decent) and DRAG ME TO HELL will make $20 million (good enough for this type of flick).

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1243706393
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If Bale was a draw, then The Prestige (awesome) would have outperformed The Illusionist, which didn't begin to happen. He's a marble-mouthed middle-weight.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:new top ten:
1) The Half-Blood Prince -- $360
2) Transformers 2 -- $350
3) Terminator Salvation -- $275
4) Up -- $240
5) Star Trek -- $230
6) New Moon -- $220
7) Angels & Demons -- $210
8) Avatar -- $200
9) Ice Age 3 -- $180
10) Wolverine -- $175

old top nine:
3) Watchmen -- $300
4) Wolverine -- $275
5) Terminator Salvation -- $250
6) Up -- $230
7) Angels & Demons -- $210
8) Avatar -- $200
9) Star Trek -- $180

Wow, I have been really off this year in my box-office predicting. It is so difficult to figure out what movies the idiot masses will choose to embrace and which ones they will reject.

With all these early summer releases bombing (except STAR TREK), people will probably be clamoring for some really great popcorn movies by the time THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE and TRANSFORMERS 2 are released.

Hopefully UP is not too intelligent for summer audiences. There is no reason kiddie movies have to be stupid. Looking forward to it.

My new box-office predix:

3) Up -- $250
4) Star Trek -- $240
5) Avatar -- $235
6) New Moon -- $220
7) Monster Vs Aliens -- $200
8) Ice Age 3 -- $180
9) Wolverine -- $175
10) GI Joe -- $170

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1243307351
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Of course I have no proof, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Terminator fans skew older, and are therefore more likely to heed reviews. Plus, "Wolverine" had Hugh Jackman and "Marvel Productions presents..." to fall back on. There's nothing from the original Terminator films other than the basic concept. Honestly, I have no idea why "Wolverine" was such a first-weekend smash, but I don't see why whatever happened there would mean something similar would work in "Terminator Salvation's" favor. Maybe "Wolverine" was so bad, general audiences decided the same thing would happen with "TS".

And unless the movie in question is titled "Batman Salvation", I see no evidence that Bale is a box office draw yet. Huge box office for the first three Batman films didn't ensure Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer would be draws in other projects.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1243297467
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Estimates are that T4 stands at $67 mil and Night at the Museum at $70, the former with a $200 budget before P&A and the latter with $150. No question who the winner is. If T4 is plummeting this much over the course of one weekend, it'll crawl past $100 to around $120 or so. We won't know about Night at the Museum for a couple weeks. It has to brave Up and Land of the Lost, both of which will almost guaranteed dig into its legs. I'm going to predict Night at the Museum grabs $170 mil.

In other news, Star Trek dips only 31.7% to nab $29 mil in its third weekend, standing with $191 mil. Pretty awesome. No reason to believe it will lag beneath $20 for a few more weeks. Angels and Demons drops only 40% to $27 standing at $88, a higher take than I'd have imagined. However, with a $150 budget before P&A, it has to count as something of a disappointment. Worldwide, it'll do just fine. Wolverine Origins dips 31% to $10 and stands at $165. Also not bad. It's budget stands at $150 but with P&A probably cost closer to $200. Wolverine Origins will end up outperforming Terminator 4.

Dance Flick opens to $13 with a $25 budget and should have no problem pulling a tidy profit eventually.

This coming weekend no doubt will bring the best movie of the summer and one can hope it out-performs Night at the Museum.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think McG deserves a lot of credit for this.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That didn't stop X-Men Origins: Wolverine from making $85 M opening weekend. And it's not like Christian Bale isn't a well known name now, as Batman.

I would like to think it was the franchise dying and believe me, I'm happy about it, but that it opened with so little is the surprising thing to me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Exactly. I didn't see it because I knew it was going to be terrible and everyone I know who saw it said it was. Word of mouth disaster. Make a good movie next time.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2009”