The Peter Travers Top Ten List contest - 2009

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Big Magilla wrote:Actually you know it would make sense to hold off making a best of the decade list for the years 2000-2009 until 2011 so that we can put a little distance on the 2009 films, giving them a chance to grow or recede in our admiration as the case may be. :p
It's more logical but not nearly as fun.

I say we come back in five or six years when the decade becomes more of a novelty.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Actually you know it would make sense to hold off making a best of the decade list for the years 2000-2009 until 2011 so that we can put a little distance on the 2009 films, giving them a chance to grow or recede in our admiration as the case may be. :p
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg and Magilla, I'm looking forward to your "Best of the Decade" lists in January, 2011. See you then!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Eric wrote:This conversation, should it continue, could actually be the most boring conversation in the history of this board. Keep it up.
I was totally going to continue it, but this comment made me laugh too loudly.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

This conversation, should it continue, could actually be the most boring conversation in the history of this board. Keep it up.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

That reminds me, I remember watching some news-talk TV show where someone said that in private President Kennedy had mentioned that his call to put a man on the moon by the end of the decade would have given him some wiggle room where he could claim that the decade didn't end until Dec. 31, 1970; but, it proved to be unnecessary.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Technically speaking Greg is correct but the general practice has always been to jump the decade a year early. The turn of the century was technically January 1, 2001 though it was a celebrated a year earlier as was the turn of the 20th Century and so on.

There actually is a series of books called The Best Films of the ----s that runs from -1 to -0 for each decade but proper annotations of time is rare.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Okay, now I get it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's an example:

When you think of the 1980s, you think of the years 1980-1989. It's just the way the digits play out and the ease of numbering...after all, if it were 1981-1990 while also a correct statement, would be a little more ambiguous since it wouldn't be the 1980s because there a 199- in there.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Greg wrote:Does anyone else know how technically Travers' top 10 of the decade list is one year early?
It isn't.

You'll lose this one, so give up while you can.
Okay, I'll take the bait.

I thought the reason the list would technically be one year early was because when the calendar was drawn for the AD years, there was the oversight of having no year AD 0. So, the end of the first AD year was Dec. 31, AD 1; The end of the second AD year was Dec. 31 AD 2; etc., up to the end of the tenth AD year, the end of the first AD decade, being Dec. 31 AD 10. That meant the start of the second AD decade was Jan. 1, AD 11, not Jan. 1, AD 10.

Also, the start of the second AD century was Jan. 1, 101; the start of the second AD millenium was Jan. 1, 1001; the third AD millenium began on Jan. 1, 2001, not Jan. 1, 2000; and, this decade ends on Dec. 31, 2010.

How am I wrong?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

2nd runner-up is a four-way tie. Zahveed, hustler, rain Bard and myself each received 6 points. Now, 6 points is pretty pathetic, but you don't have to tell anyone this. If someone asks, just say you were the 2nd runner-up.
LOL! That´s a good one!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Congrats, FilmFan!
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

The Original BJ wrote:Peter Travers makes no sense to me. How can There Will Be Blood be the best film of the decade when it wasn't even in the top five in its year? And Children of Men, #2 of the decade, wasn't even on his top ten list at all!

I can allow for change of thought over time...but I usually don't change my opinions THAT much within a couple years.
Two theoretical explanations:

1. He feels so rushed to get his list out there before everyone else that he makes snap judgments each year, some of which are inevitably going to get revised upon further reflection

2. His listing is influenced (like many other critics lists are, whether they admit it or not) by the opinions of his peers and his readers who send him feedback. One hazard of publishing your list first is not being able to predict how others will react to a potentially off-putting film like There Will Be Blood. There's no way to know that it's going to inspire catchphrases, parodies, and millions of passionate blog comments. You end up looking like you didn't like it as much as everyone else. This placement of the film may atone for that oversight in the eyes of his readers. (or, at least, so he or his subconscious thinks)

PS thanks Sonic for running a fun contest. I'd say the low scores indicate a better year for middlebrow films than usual. But looking at what Travers put at the top of his list, I wonder if it's the reverse.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It's all give and take, Filmfan. As the Good Lord said "Be fruitful, and lose the Peter Travers Top Ten contest in the bargain."

Congratulations!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

PS, Thank you Sonic for a much needed hearty laugh at the end of an extremely long, tiring and cold midwestern day.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “2009”