Early 2010 Oscar Candidates

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--MovieWes wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:Supporting Actress
Michelle Williams, “Shutter Island”

Doubtful, considering that she's little more than a cameo.

Somebody has to make room for Judi Dench in Nine. It may may as well be her.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860630
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Big Magilla wrote:Supporting Actress
Doubtful, considering that she's little more than a cameo.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

--matthew wrote:From Wikipedia:

Bright Star is an upcoming drama/romance film that is based on the last three years of the life of poet John Keats. It stars Ben Whishaw as Keats and Abbie Cornish as his muse Fanny Brawne. It was filmed under the direction of Jane Campion, who also wrote the screenplay, and is slated to be released sometime in 2009. The film's title is a reference to a sonnet by Keats named Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art, which he wrote while he was with Brawne.

Hopefully this is received by critics more like The Piano or An Angel at My Table than Holy Smoke or In the Cut...but Jane Campion is always in interesting director, so anything could happen...

Bright Star - The Movie

I never understood why all this praise and critical support for Campion.
Her career after ''Piano'' can be charitably called underwhelming.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860642
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Kris Tapley has early predictions up on his site, some of which may results in actual nominations.

Best Picture
“Amelia”
“Nine”
"Shutter Island”
“Taking Woodstock”
"Untitled Nelson Mandela Project”

Directing
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”
Rob Marshall, “Nine”
Martin Scorsese, “Shutter Island”
Ang Lee, “Taking Woodstock”
Clint Eastwood, “Untitled Nelson Mandela Project”

Actor
Matt Damon, “The Informant”
Daniel Day-Lewis, “Nine”
Leonardo DiCaprio, “Shutter Island”
Morgan Freeman, “Untitled Nelson Mandela Project”
Philip Seymour Hoffman, “The Boat That Rocked”

Actress
Penélope Cruz, “Broken Embraces”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Michelle Pfeiffer, “Chéri”
Saoirse Ronan, “The Lovely Bones”
Hilary Swank, “Amelia”

Supporting Actor
Billy Crudup, “Public Enemies”
Matt Damon, “Untitled Nelson Mandela Project”
Richard Kind, “A Serious Man”
Ewan McGregor, “Amelia”
Mark Ruffalo, “Shutter Island”

Supporting Actress
Penélope Cruz, “Nine”
Sophia Loren, “Nine”
Mo'Nique, "Precious"
Imelda Staunton, “Taking Woodstock”

Adapted Screenplay
“Chéri”
“An Education”
“Nine”
“Shutter Island”
“Taking Woodstock”

Original Screenplay
“Away We Go”
“Broken Embraces”
“The Boat That Rocked”
“A Serious Man”
"Up"
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

From Wikipedia:

Bright Star is an upcoming drama/romance film that is based on the last three years of the life of poet John Keats. It stars Ben Whishaw as Keats and Abbie Cornish as his muse Fanny Brawne. It was filmed under the direction of Jane Campion, who also wrote the screenplay, and is slated to be released sometime in 2009. The film's title is a reference to a sonnet by Keats named Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art, which he wrote while he was with Brawne.

Hopefully this is received by critics more like The Piano or An Angel at My Table than Holy Smoke or In the Cut...but Jane Campion is always in interesting director, so anything could happen...

Bright Star - The Movie
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I was looking through the official movie companion book for Watchmen, and I think that it should be considered a strong contender in the following categories...

Art Direction
Costume Design
Makeup
Visual Effects

And probably Sound Mixing and Sound Editing.

The visual effects race will probably be between Watchmen and Avatar. I just found out that Dr. Manhattan is not Billy Crudup touched up with CGI, but a character that is completely 100% CGI.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I can't imagine The Road being a big contender, unless they really change a lot about the book. And since they cast Charlize Theron as a minor character who only appears on a few pages in the book, then I'm guessing they did. So maybe it will be a contender after all.

I don't think I'll see it unless it becomes a big contender though. I wasn't a huge fan of the book, didn't much like the director's last film, and don't like Viggo Mortensen (who seems all wrong for this role anyway).
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I believe that The Road is being released this year, so perhaps that will be one of the big contenders, especially Viggo Mortensen.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Per Hollywood Elsewhere Paramount has withdrawn its support - Lincoln won't be made after all.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Zahveed wrote:Fine. Maybe they'll get Samuel L. Jackson. He's around the same age and he has similar facial structures. Now that this has been made a big deal so early on in pre-production I can only anticipate the debate when it's released.
Yaphet Kotto IS Abraham Lincoln!

Rolo, now I'm beginning to understand why you don't have a boyfriend.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

rolotomasi99 wrote:i brought up an issue i think is important: reconciling actors being cast to play characters with which they do not match racially.

As if flipp -- of all people -- would understand or care about this issue?

rolotomasi99 wrote:now i know how to upset the white folks around here

Oh there are lots of ways to upset white people on this board.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Zahveed wrote:Fine. Maybe they'll get Samuel L. Jackson. He's around the same age and he has similar facial structures. Now that this has been made a big deal so early on in pre-production I can only anticipate the debate when it's released.

he seems a bit dark for the role. :)

the age is not right, but someone like the talented daniel sunjata would be great. he played langston hughes in BROHTER TO BROTHER.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm12883968/nm0839326

I saw him when I was in Chicago last August. Hot. He was wonderful in "Take Me Out" on Broadway. Casting him as Abraham Lincoln though borders on absurd.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234894201
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Zahveed wrote:On to another film. There are others out there.
the oscar related film i am looking most forward to is THE ROAD. best picture might be out of its reach due to its bleakness, but i am hoping maybe director, screenplay, and possibly actor.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

he seems a bit dark for the role. :)

the age is not right, but someone like the talented daniel sunjata would be great. he played langston hughes in BROHTER TO BROTHER.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm12883968/nm0839326

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1234890450
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:Can you just, I don't know, MOVE ON, rolo? You've singlehandedly hijacked this entire thread.
liar! you are a liar! :angry:

i made 5 posts about the topic of the casting choice for lincoln in the new biopic. zahveed made 11 posts about the subject. i did not hijack anything. i brought up an issue i think is important: reconciling actors being cast to play characters with which they do not match racially.

my point was how from WEST SIDE STORY to A BEAUTIFUL MIND, hollywood has a nasty habit of casting "white" actors to play people of color. i think it is unfair since it is not like there is a gluttony of great roles for people of color in hollywood films to begin with. this subject seemed quite appropriate in a post about new films coming up since one of the potentially biggest films of 2009.

zahveed, okri, myself, and others were having a very civil, spirited, and interesting debate about the way people view race in this country and the casting choices of hollywood. just because you have some problem with our discussion does not give you any right to try to shut us down.

you are worse than italiano sometimes in how angry you get. i disagree with zahveed about lincoln's racial heritage, but at no point did i tell him to shut up...and yes, telling me to "move on" is the equivalent of shut up.

you are free to join our debate or ignore us, but do not try to shut us up. you can really be a bully sometimes flipp525, and i do not understand why you are always after me. :(

Return to “2009”