Early 2010 Oscar Candidates

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"The Young Victoria", about Queen We-Are-Not-Amused, just received a great review from Variety.

Emily Blunt a Best Actress nominee, maybe?

Written by Julien Fellowes, directed by Jean-Marc Vallee. Keep an eye on this.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1233893448
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I really don't think We Live in Public is likely to be Oscar fare. I'm tremendously interested in seeing it after really liking Ondi Timoner's DIG!, and I'm sure it will generate a lot of pre-release noise on internet film sites, but the trailer doesn't make it look like the sort of thing to succeed in the hallowed halls of the Academy documentary branch. Not enough of a clear political message, too much weird nudity, etc.

Sundance award winners that seem more plausible candidates for doc. branch approval if the stars align correctly include Big River Man, about a guy who swims the length of the Amazon, the September Issue, an inside look at Vogue magazine, or the Cove, about dolphin poachers.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The one film this year that I'm eagerly looking forward to is The Vintner's Luck, Niki Caro's film version of Elizabeth Knox's extraordinary novel about a love affair between a French vinter (played by Jérémie Renier) and an angel (Gaspard Ulliel) in the first half of the 19th century. I'm hopeful that a) they don't cut the love scenes from the novel and b) that it's more akin to the spiritual Whale Rider than the reductive North Country. Vera Farmiga and Keisha Castle-Hughes co-star.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Actually, the new Martin Scorsese picture is officially called Shutter Island, not Ashecliffe as has been reported. The official site is already up (sort of).

http://www.shutterisland.com/

But I think that it should probably be a contender for Best Picture as well. So far, the Scorsese/DiCaprio team-up is 3-for-3 with the Academy.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Shutter Island (for screenplay and director, acting, probably picture)

Sherlock Holmes (for Robert Downey, Jr.)

Where the Wild Things Are (for director perhaps, and art direction/costume design)

Fantastic Mr. Fox (animated)

Avatar (for Director and Effects, maybe picture)
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, the ones most everyone has heard about: Nine and The Lovely Bones are certainly to be the most talked about contenders this year. Nine may be headed towards a Chicago-style achievement and Lovely Bones will be the test of whether the Academy respects Peter Jackson as a filmmaker and not just an entertainer.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Since our discussions of this year's nominees are staling out a little, why not jump onto some early buzz for next year?

As first reported by Eric, it seems like we might have our first bonafide candidate for an acting gong coming out of Sundance: Mo'Nique (Best Supporting Actress) who is said to have wowed in "Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire". Could she ride the current all the way to an Oscar nomination? Her role certainly has a Shelley Winters in A Patch of Blue feel to it. The film won the double whammy of the Audience and Grand Jury prizes at Sundance.

I Love You Phillip Morris could provide Jim Carrey with that elusive first nomination. The movie is the true story of Steven Russell (Jim Carrey), a master manipulator and married father whose exploits landed him in the Texas criminal justice system. While incarcerated, he fell madly in love with his cellmate (Ewan McGregor), who eventually was set free, which led Russell to escape from Texas prisons four times in order to reunite with him.

An early Best Documentary candidate arrives in the form of We Live in Public which tells the story of Josh Harris, a dot-com entrepreneur whose online experiments were light-years ahead of their time.

What else have you heard about?

Edited By flipp525 on 1233868114
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “2009”