Early 2010 Oscar Candidates

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Ignoring the fanciful history (and I'd argue that people here would be inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt, given the recent discussion of "is he gay or not"), I'm more curious about why you think a white actor shouldn't play someone of mixed race, whereas it'd be okay for a black actor to do so. Seems like an odd double standard.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I have heard he was bisexual too. History channel showed a few notes he wrote to someone in which he confessed his love for him. I don't know how much truth there is to it though because I'm not knowledgeable on the time's typical letter-writing style. They weren't straight out "I want you in the worst way" kind of lines, but more "I want to be closer to you". This could be why Lincoln was so depressed all the time. Perhaps he wanted a different kind of romance?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Rolo, I think part of the problem is that you've declared him to be part black without anything in the way of proof. It's purely conjecture. No, we can't say for 100% that X or Y wasn't half-black or gay or something else, but usually, there is something somewhere that points in that direction. How many closeted directors, actors and others in Hollywood weren't suspected to be gay but confirmation didn't come until later when documentation or testimony came forward to the contrary.

In this situation, all anyone is asking you to do is provide some source for your suggestion. No one here would mind, but unless you have something that confirms your revelation, then it is nothing more than suspicion or suggestion and really shouldn't be spouted as fact. So, really, the burden of proof lies on you to back up your statement, not with us to disprove your proclamation.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:why is that so shocking to people?
Because something like that would have been well spread throughout the country if there was even speculation he was black. In a predominately racist country where even northern states were practically persuaded to emancipate their slaves, even a half or a fourth black president wouldn't have been elected. The only black people that were respected in those times were mostly black slave owners. John Wilkes Booth probably would have mentioned it in his diary he wrote after he assassinated Lincoln. You would think his sons would of had some African traits in their facial features, but they don't. The image you posted wasn't even 100% real, it was one of his black and white pictures with digital coloring.

This all being said, I wouldn't mind if he was black. It would have been a little ironic though.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Zahveed wrote:Another photo looking pretty European.

he looks about as european as these people who also happen to have african blood in them:

mariah carey
http://flickr.com/photos/citiboiishere/2494601491/

rihanna
http://flickr.com/photos/photowire/2623469769/

jennifer beals
http://flickr.com/photos/dbimac/517394571/

condoleezza rice
http://flickr.com/photos/statephotos/2379540749/

colin powell
http://flickr.com/photos/7730691@N03/454610084/

another picture of powell looking as european as someone who is 100% european!
http://flickr.com/photos/usatoday/3212286631/

zahveed, you think lincoln looks black because he is tan? who are you, berlusconi? lincoln had black blood in him. why is that so shocking to people?

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1234580781
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

As I said before, Abraham Lincoln was an outdoor man. The sun tans the skin and roughens the hair.

Because young Lincoln totally looked black right? http://www.conservapedia.com/images....oln.jpg
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

MovieWes wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote: the biggest outrage though is reconciling the fact that lincoln was mixed-race -- which is why it drives me nuts when people say obama is our first black president...hello people, check your history. how can such a white man like neeson play a black man. are they going to do black-face make up like robert downey, jr.? very strange.

Umm.. what are you talking about? Abraham Lincoln wasn't black. His father was Thomas Lincoln and his mother was Nancy Hanks, neither of which were black.

I think you need to read some history books.
would these be the same history books which try to tell us alexander the great, leonardo da vinci, and susan b anthony among others are heterosexual? i love how you challenge me to prove he was part black since you assume he must be white, and anything to the contrary is insane. the same with glbt people in history, they are straight until proven otherwise.

there have been 5 black presidents in our country's history. lincoln was just the darkest.
http://www.computerhealth.org/ebook/5blkpres.htm

it seems pretty obvious to me lincoln had some mixed heritage. look at any picture of him and you will see he is not 100% european. the paintings of him lighten him up, but photos show he could not be only of european heritage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/torrez/93279075/
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Lincoln might have been tall and sickly looking in the face, but no way was he thin as a pencil. Besides the civil war, his assassination, and his crazy wife, Lincoln was known for being a built wrestler. Not like the kind you see in the WWE. If you work your whole life splitting logs and doing other manual labor, you're going to develop some lean muscle.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Actually, if you want to get technical, Ford wasn't a luxury sedan, so Lincoln is the one and only. Ford is the lowest tier in the Ford Motor Company's totem pole -- Lincoln is the luxury car, Mercury is one step down, and Ford is the lowest.

I know this because I work at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership and deal with this on a daily basis. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm outraged that the casting of Neeson in no way recognizes the historically unassailable fact that Lincoln was our first luxury sedan president. (Ford was our second.) I mean, WTF? It's not like there are no great actors with power steering and a V8 engine.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

rolotomasi99 wrote:last i heard they had cast liam neeson as lincoln, which just seems wrong to me. the height is similar, but lincoln was such a thin and sickly guy while neeson has always been built like a barn. adrian brody would match physically, but the nose would be too distracting.

the biggest outrage though is reconciling the fact that lincoln was mixed-race -- which is why it drives me nuts when people say obama is our first black president...hello people, check your history. how can such a white man like neeson play a black man. are they going to do black-face make up like robert downey, jr.? very strange.

Umm.. what are you talking about? Abraham Lincoln wasn't black. His father was Thomas Lincoln and his mother was Nancy Hanks, neither of which were black.

I think you need to read some history books.

EDIT: I've tried to look up Lincoln's lineage on Google and can't find even a single blurb about him having any black ancestors at all. Where in the world did you hear this, because it seems to me that if there was even a single shred of evidence, somebody somewhere would have written about it.

Edited By MovieWes on 1234559233
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I dressed as Lincoln to go to work yesterday. It was fun. It brought out a lot of interesting comments. Some people wanted to tell me he was an octaroon, others that he was a racist. Most people just enjoyed it. I even got to pose for a photo with the head of the library in his posh office, which was not something I expected to have happen.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:last i heard they had cast liam neeson as lincoln, which just seems wrong to me. the height is similar, but lincoln was such a thin and sickly guy while neeson has always been built like a barn. adrian brody would match physically, but the nose would be too distracting.

the biggest outrage though is reconciling the fact that lincoln was mixed-race -- which is why it drives me nuts when people say obama is our first black president...hello people, check your history. how can such a white man like neeson play a black man. are they going to do black-face make up like robert downey, jr.? very strange.

Why couldn't a very tall white actor play Abraham Lincoln? I really can't think of an actor more physically suited to playing him (plus the age is just right). With the proper makeup and dieting, he could totally pull it off. And Liam Neeson is not some brickhouse muscle god, by the way.

There are much more egregious cases of miscasting to harp on about, believe me.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234556869
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

last i heard they had cast liam neeson as lincoln, which just seems wrong to me. the height is similar, but lincoln was such a thin and sickly guy while neeson has always been built like a barn. adrian brody would match physically, but the nose would be too distracting.

Return to “2009”