Early 2010 Oscar Candidates

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

You know what, Josh Brolin might be a little too young. I would have substituted him with Frank Langella, but he's also too old.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hugh Dancy looks like a good Booth. Sally Field would have to gain some weight for the role though, which I don't think I've ever seen. I suppose they could use some makeup on her.

What about Josh Brolin for Robert E. Lee?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:I've heard. . . Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln (in which case, which might see her return to the nomination circle).
I hope Sally Field does as good a job as did Mary Tyler Moore in Gore Vidal's Lincoln on TV.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Zahveed wrote:Steven Spielberg's Lincoln biopic is tentatively scheduled to be released in December. If this is true, it'll probably be a big hit at the box office, with the critics, and throughout award season. It supposedly takes place in only two months of his life and one would assume it is the last two; showing the end of the war, his deeper decline into depression, his dream of his own death, and ultimately his assassination. The first draft of the script was four months of his life but was 500 pages long. Possible noms:

Picture
Director
Actor
Original Screenplay

...and then whatever tech awards comes with it. It will depend on how much they show the civil war.
I've heard Hugh Dancy as John Wilkes Booth and Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln (in which case, which might see her return to the nomination circle).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Steven Spielberg's Lincoln biopic is tentatively scheduled to be released in December. If this is true, it'll probably be a big hit at the box office, with the critics, and throughout award season. It supposedly takes place in only two months of his life and one would assume it is the last two; showing the end of the war, his deeper decline into depression, his dream of his own death, and ultimately his assassination. The first draft of the script was four months of his life but was 500 pages long. Possible noms:

Picture
Director
Actor
Original Screenplay

...and then whatever tech awards comes with it. It will depend on how much they show the civil war.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Okri wrote:I think virtually everything Poliakoff has done ends up on the small screen, so I'd be surprised if this was a possibility, but it sounds very interesting.
IMBd says that this is his first film (on the big screen) in 10 years.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think virtually everything Poliakoff has done ends up on the small screen, so I'd be surprised if this was a possibility, but it sounds very interesting.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

From IMDb

1939 (Stephen Poliakoff, 2009)

Starring:

Romola Garai, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Julie Christie, David Tennant, Christopher Lee, Hugh Bonneville, Jenny Agutter and Jeremy Northam.

1939 is set between present-day London and the idyllic British countryside in the time before the beginning of the Second World War. At a time of uncertainty and high tension, the story revolves around the formidable Keyes family, who are keen to uphold and preserve their very traditional way of life. The eldest sibling Anne is a budding young actress who is in love with Foreign Office official Lawrence, but her seemingly perfect life begins to dramatically unravel when she stumbles across secret recordings of the anti-appeasement movement. While trying to discover the origin of these recordings, dark secrets are revealed which lead to the death of a great friend. As war breaks out Anne discovers the truth and flees to London to try to confirm her suspicions, but she is caught and imprisoned and only then does she finally begin to discover how badly she has been betrayed.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Bog wrote:I'm looking forward to The Box, written and directed by Richard Kelly...with the entire score done by Arcade Fire.

Southland Tales wasn't all that good, but this is just his third film...and Donnie Darko was pretty exemplary. I'm hanging in there with Ed's analysis that if Darko was akin to Eraserhead, then maybe this film will be a comeback of Blue Velvet proportions.
i would think you would have to "go somewhere" before you could "come back". where the hell has richard kelly gone? he made an interesting first film, an outlandish second film, and hopefully the third times the charm and he will finally make a good film.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Penelope wrote:The British website for The Young Victoria is up and running, including a trailer. It does look very impressive; certainly both Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend strongly resemble Victoria and Albert.

Screendaily is less positive than Variety, and Hollywood Reporter is even less positive than that. Factor in a March release, and it's starting to look more touch-and-go. Still, none of them are bad reviews and maybe Blunt can pull through, and techs are always a possibility.

When I saw the first review, the word "Penelope" flashed in my head.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1234103130
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Wonder if this means Oscar nods....all that drama, blood and gore!!

Ralph Fiennes to direct 'Coriolanus'
Vanessa Redgrave in talks to join project
By ALI JAAFARMore Articles:

Ralph Fiennes is making his directorial debut with a feature adaptation of William Shakespeare's Roman tragedy "Coriolanus."

Fiennes, who stars in Stephen Daldry's "The Reader" alongside Oscar-nommed Kate Winslet, has already scouted for locations in East Europe and is currently in negotiations with financiers.

Shakespeare's play, set in the early years of the Roman Republic, is one of his most politically challenging examinations of the way power corrupts.

Fiennes will also play the title role of the proud but contemptuous soldier spurred on by his ambitious mother to run for the Roman Senate, which ultimately leads to his downfall.

Vanessa Redgrave is in talks to play the part of Coriolanus' mother Volumnia.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Penelope, you've been harping about The Vintner's Luck since maybe 2006; I was inspired to read it and I loved it. I really hope it's actually going to be released this year!
IMDb lists a July 31, 2009 release date for the UK; don't know how accurate that is (we know how faulty IMDb can be), and there's no release date yet for the U.S. I'm beside myself with anticipation.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'm looking forward to The Box, written and directed by Richard Kelly...with the entire score done by Arcade Fire.

Southland Tales wasn't all that good, but this is just his third film...and Donnie Darko was pretty exemplary. I'm hanging in there with Ed's analysis that if Darko was akin to Eraserhead, then maybe this film will be a comeback of Blue Velvet proportions.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Penelope, you've been harping about The Vintner's Luck since maybe 2006; I was inspired to read it and I loved it. I really hope it's actually going to be released this year!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The British website for The Young Victoria is up and running, including a trailer. It does look very impressive; certainly both Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend strongly resemble Victoria and Albert.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2009”