Planned Remakes

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Jackie Earle Haley is the New Freddy Krueger
Source: LatinoReview.com, Bloody-Disgusting.com, Variety, THR
April 3, 2009

Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen) will play the new Freddy Krueger in New Line Cinema's A Nightmare on Elm Street, scheduled for an April 16, 2010 release. The role was originally played by Robert Englund.

Samuel Bayer is directing the relaunch, which was written by Wesley Strick. The movie starts filming on May 5 in Chicago.

The Haunting in Connecticut star Kyle Gallner has been cast as Quentin in the film as well.

Platinum Dunes' Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing. John Rickard is co-producing.

"Looking at his performance in 'Watchmen,' here’s a guy playing a character under a mask yet you feel tremendous empathy for him," Bayer told The Hollywood Reporter. "And in 'Nightmare,' he is going to be under prosthetic make-up. You have to feel something for the character. The greatest villains are multi-dimensional and I think he will bring that to the character."

Bayer called this take of Krueger "Nosferatu meets Ed Gaines."
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Yes, the ending of Pet Sematary really ruined the movie. Up until then, it's not that bad. The last few minutes were too dark-comic to fit in with some of the better scenes. It's sort of like the ending to Psycho II, in that it can't be taken too seriously and threatens to erase all the good stuff that went before it (although Psycho II was a better movie than Pet Sematary I think). And the sequel (with Edward Furlong) was much worse.

I own the miniseries of It. One of the better King adaptations.

How about a movie version of V? I know, not Stephen King, but a childhood event that holds up fairly well today.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Pet Sematary is a movie in far greater need of remaking.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The miniseries was an important part of my adolescence. I love the miniseries, still hate the end, but what can you do when you're based on the book with the same ending. No one could do a better job than Tim Curry as Pennywise and I'm disappointed they're going to try.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Stephen King's IT Coming to the Big Screen
Source: Variety
March 13, 2009

Warner Bros. is developing a IT feature, hiring Dave Kajganich to adapt Stephen King's novel, with Dan Lin and Vertigo's Roy Lee and Doug Davison producing.

IT centers on seven children in a small Maine town who confront the source of a series of murders in 1958 and again in 1985, when the cycle begins again.

The novel was previously adapted into a 1990 ABC miniseries.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I love Hitchcock's The Birds, and the sequel they did on TV in 1994 was terrible. But I am looking forward to the remake of The Wolf Man, which is scheduled as a November release.

These remakes are getting silly. What exactly is the point, I always ask? But then people start talking about the "new" audience and updating the story. Like Friday the 13th needed to be updated!

At least The Wolf Man is 68 years old, and can be justifibly "updated" or at least renewed for today's audience. I'll probably still prefer Lon Chaney's version to Benicio Del Toro. Still, they've never managed to make a better werewolf movie in all these years in spite of all the makeup effects.

I also have a fondness for Clash of the Titans. Some of the acting was stiff, but a number of Ray Harryhausen's creatures were fun and effective. I hope they do some kind of tribute to him in the new version, at least an acknowledgement.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Some random thoughts about this...

I can understand remaking Captain Blood or The Birds. I am sort of looking forward to seeing the action scenes of these films done with CGI, especially The Birds. It may seem sacrilegious to remake a Hitchcock film (What Van Sant did with Psycho was weird; why did he even bother?) but it is one of Hitch's minor achievements so it should not bother film buffs too much.

I was surprised Frank Darabont's long delayed remake of Fahrenheit 451 was not on the list. This one does not bother me either. I am not a fan of Truffaut's 1966 film and now, with CGI, we can have mechanical hounds running amuck this time. It is a melodramitic and kind of sentimental story so Darabont may not be a bad choice to do the remake.

Poltergeist and Carpenter's The Thing will not be improved one bit with the improved film technology of the last few decades (though that will probably be one of the justifications for the remakes). No reason for these remakes other than taking advantage of the brand names.

I am praying I will have an opportunity to see Tom and Katie as Paul and Jeanne in the remake of Tango. I am already imagining the butter scene with those two. I wonder which one will be wielding the stick of butter.

I assume the remake of Red Dawn will involve a rebellion against a takeover of America by Islamic extremists and the imposition of sharia law here.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

MovieWes wrote:Why? Why? Why? This is so unnecessary! The original is something of a modern classic! Fuck Hollywood!
'Total Recall' ready for revival
Col eyeing contemporary version of 1990 sci-fi flick
By Borys Kit

Feb 25, 2009, 11:05 PM ET

"Total Recall" is totally coming back.

Neal H. Moritz and his Original Films banner are in final negotiations to develop and produce for Columbia a contemporary version of "Total Recall," the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action movie directed by Paul Verhoeven.

The original, based on the Philip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," follows a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who buys a literal dream vacation from a company called Rekall Inc., which sells implanted memories. The man comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony, where he fights to overthrow a despotic ruler controlling the production of air.

The movie explores one of Dick's favorite topics, reality vs. delusion, as audiences never knew whether or not the story was a dream. Either way, the movie grossed a very real $261 million worldwide.

Carolco was behind the original movie, which was distributed by TriStar. Dimension picked up the rights for a reported $3.15 million with the aim of developing a sequel. Columbia secured the rights from Miramax, which retained them when Harvey and Bob Weinstein left to start their own company.

Calling Dick's story "prescient," Moritz said he hoped the advancements in technology and state-of-the-art visual effects can help tell the "Recall" story in a fresh way.

Toby Jaffe is overseeing on behalf of Original Film. Matt Tolmach and Sam Dickerman oversee for Columbia.
I like that the producer's company is called 'Original Films'.

Total Recall should be let alone. I also read somewhere of a planned re-make of The Boys from Brazil. Why?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Why? Why? Why? This is so unnecessary! The original is something of a modern classic! Fuck Hollywood!
'Total Recall' ready for revival
Col eyeing contemporary version of 1990 sci-fi flick
By Borys Kit

Feb 25, 2009, 11:05 PM ET

"Total Recall" is totally coming back.

Neal H. Moritz and his Original Films banner are in final negotiations to develop and produce for Columbia a contemporary version of "Total Recall," the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action movie directed by Paul Verhoeven.

The original, based on the Philip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," follows a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who buys a literal dream vacation from a company called Rekall Inc., which sells implanted memories. The man comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony, where he fights to overthrow a despotic ruler controlling the production of air.

The movie explores one of Dick's favorite topics, reality vs. delusion, as audiences never knew whether or not the story was a dream. Either way, the movie grossed a very real $261 million worldwide.

Carolco was behind the original movie, which was distributed by TriStar. Dimension picked up the rights for a reported $3.15 million with the aim of developing a sequel. Columbia secured the rights from Miramax, which retained them when Harvey and Bob Weinstein left to start their own company.

Calling Dick's story "prescient," Moritz said he hoped the advancements in technology and state-of-the-art visual effects can help tell the "Recall" story in a fresh way.

Toby Jaffe is overseeing on behalf of Original Film. Matt Tolmach and Sam Dickerman oversee for Columbia.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Reza wrote:Akira

The Jetsons
Akira is the only choice I really agree with, though it's more of an adaptation of the manga and not the anime film. Early word was that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would star, which would make a good fit.

As for The Jetsons, a few years ago (probably early 2000's) I thought up a dream cast for fun's sake. I guess I'll have to update it now that everyone got too old/has no career.

Bare with me.

2000's CAST:
George - Tom Hanks
Jane - Gena Davis
Elroy - Haley Joel Osment
Judy - Lindsay Lohan
Spacely - Danny DeVito
Cogswell - Robin Williams

NEW CAST:
George - Paul Rudd
Jane - Elizabeth Banks
Elroy - Paul Litowsky
Judy - Kat Dennings
Spacely - Danny DeVito
Cogswell - Alfred Molina

Hell, I'd see it if Paul Rudd was in it.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rain Bard wrote:It was exhausting scrolling through this piece; a nitpicky read was the only way to stave off the feeling of being crushed under the weight of hopeless mediocrity.
Ugh, I couldn't agree more (and I was going to post the same thing about the Rosemary's Baby error). What reason on God's green Earth is there to remake Poltergeist?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Eric wrote:
Reza wrote:The Thing
This one’s still in the script stages, where we hope it gets stuck. The original is a flat-out classic, but given how many John Carpenter movies are getting the remake treatment, we suspect it’ll get to the screen in the next three years.

LOL, WTF?!

It seems like a mistake, but could be read as just a sloppy construction. But calling Rosemary's Baby "a 70's classic" and "one of the best movies of that decade" is an undeniable error as are the several misspellings and misused words I spotted throughout the rest of the piece).

It was exhausting scrolling through this piece; a nitpicky read was the only way to stave off the feeling of being crushed under the weight of hopeless mediocrity.

Edited By rain Bard on 1233954165
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Seems like this thread belongs in "Hollywood Has OFFICIALLY Run Out of Ideas" just down the line in "2009 and Beyond"... :D
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Reza wrote:The Thing
This one’s still in the script stages, where we hope it gets stuck. The original is a flat-out classic, but given how many John Carpenter movies are getting the remake treatment, we suspect it’ll get to the screen in the next three years.

LOL, WTF?!

Edited By Eric on 1233902711
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

55 movie remakes currently in the works
Simon Brew Den of Geek

Some are finished, some have only just been announced, and one or two are rumoured. But these are all in the works somewhere...
No time for fancy intros, let’s just crack on with the list?

Arthur
Russell Brand is reportedly in the early stages of developing a remake of Dudley Moore’s famous, and Oscar-winning, comedy. Thus far, he’s believed to be meeting with writers on the project, and Larry Brezner is attached to produce (he previously produced Good Morning Vietnam, and the US take on Little Britain ). No release date clues yet.

They Live
Given that much of the John Carpenter back catalogue has already been remade, or is the process of being redone, the recent report that They Live was getting the treatment too was little surprise. The firm who remade Dawn Of The Dead , Strike Entertainment, are trying to get the rights, and it’s the same company that’s also working on the remake of The Thing . Very early stages for this one, though.

The Crazies
Timothy Olyphant is taking the leading role in the remade version of the George Romero movie. Romero is attached to the project in an executive producer capacity, while the new Crazies will be helmed by Breck Eisner (he who made Sahara , and we’ll be meeting again when we talk Flash Gordon later). The film is due out in September 2009.

Romancing The Stone
Fox has raided its back catalogue and chosen the cracking Michael Douglas-Kathleen Turner adventure for the remake treatment. Thus far, it’s found a writer for the project, with Eagle Eye scribe Daniel McDermott hauled in to pen a script. No news yet on casting, director (although it’s safe to say that original director Robert Zemeckis wouldn’t give it another go) or release date?

The Incredible Shrinking Man
The 1950s movie, with a title that leaves few clues as to what it’s about, is being redeveloped as an Eddie Murphy vehicle. Brett Ratner had been in talks to direct, but a helmer isn’t yet attached to the project, and Murphy has Beverly Hills Cop 4 coming up anyway. Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant (who penned Night At The Museum ) have written the script. It was originally down for 2010 release, but that may be a little optimistic now?

The Illustrated Man
Once he’s done and dusted with Watchmen , Zach Snyder has a plethora of projects he’s linked with, and the remake of The Illustrated Man has been on the table for a while. Originally made in 1969, and based on a collection of Ray Bradbury short stories, Alex Tse (who scribed the Watchmen movie) is on script duties. 2011 would be a good shout for this one, should Snyder get to it next.

When Worlds Collide
Originally brought to the screen in 1951, and picking up a special effects Oscar for its troubles, director Stephen Sommers is now linked to a remake of the film. The story of Alpha Centauri being on a collision course with the Earth currently has Sommers reportedly working on a script. He’s currently in post-production on G.I. Joe , but has also been linked with the new Tarzan movie. Still, this is a project believed to be live and kicking, and one heading for the screen in 2010/2011.

Fantastic Voyage
The 1966 classic about a submarine that’s shrunk and injected into a man’s bloodstream to try and stop a potentially fatal blood clot is on director Roland Emmerich’s slate. Cormac and Marianne Wibberley ? who wrote the National Treasure moviess, among others ? are on script duties. Emmerich is still in the midst of makking 2012, however, so don’t expect this one for a couple of years yet.

Back To School
The original was a hit for the late Rodney Dangerfield. But the 80s comedy is now in development again as a vehicle for Cedric The Entertainer. David Ronn and Jay Scherick are penning the new script, and the project is currently stuck in development pending a formal green light. That may be in time to get it to the screen in 2010, though.

Meatballs
The original: directed by Ivan Reitman and starring Bill Murray. The proposed remake: potentially to be directed by John Whitesell, he who gave us Big Momma’s House 2 and Deck The Halls . Hmmm... Expect it in 2010 at the very earliest.

Metropolis
There’s an option out on a new version of the Fritz Lang’s classic, although there’s been little movement on the project for a while now. Thomas Schuhly, the producer who worked on Alexander and an assortment of other projects, is the only name attached thus far.

The Dirty Dozen
Robert Aldrich’s late-60s classic is on producer Joel Silver’s slate for a remake. An assortment of writers are attached to the project, although there’s no director or casting news yet. The film is pencilled in for a 2012 release.

The 2005 French movie 13 Tzameti is getting the Hollywood treatment, with original writer/director Gela Babulani on board for the English language version. It’s got a promising cast, let by Jason Statham and Ray Winstone, with the likes of Ray Liotta and Mickey Rourke also on board. It’s filming now, for a 2010 release.

Conan
It looks like the third big screen Conan adventure will be heading back to the source material and doing a bit of a ‘reimagining’. And while we’re not averse to the idea of Conan coming back ? with Arnie apparently having his arm twisted to try and get him to do a cameo ? the likelihood is that Mr Brett Ratner will be directing, once he’s done with Beverly Hills Cop 4 . A 2010/11 release window is likely.

Clash Of The Titans
A remake of the 1981 movie, this is set to start filming in the Spring, with The Incredible Hulk ’s Louis Leterrier set to direct. Sam Worthington is the only known casting so far, and the film is set for release in 2010.

Akira
The film that kickstarted anime cinema’s assault on Western audiences, 1988’s Akira has been mooted for remake for some time. The current status is that a final draft of the script is still to be forthcoming (Gary Whitta is on scribing duties), with Ruairi Robinson – the 3D animator on Breakfast On Pluto ? down to direct. Leonardo ddi Caprio is producing but not appearing in what will be a live action remake. 2011 is the earliest you’ll see it.

The Karate Kid
The 80s classic is heading back to cinemas, possibly as early as the end of next year, with Will Smith’s son Jaden Smith attached to the film in the title role. Stephen Chow, the original director linked with the project, is likely to find his Green Hornet commitments count him out, so expect news on a helmer shortly. In the meantime, the script is being polished off, and filming is set for next year.

Death Wish
For our money, this was remade with Jodie Foster as The Brave One last year. Anyway, MGM still has plans to make a Death Wish movie, although original choice Sylvester Stallone is not attached, we understand. The studio is apparently keen to get the project movie soon, however.

Footloose
The latest news on the planned Footloose remake is that High School Musical ’s Zac Efron is in line to star. HSM ’s director Kenny Ortega is down to direct, for a 2010 release.

The Taking Of Pelham 123
One of the finest films of all time involving a train, The Taking Of Pelham 123 has been remade, and is now in post production, under the watchful eye of director Tony Scott. Denzel Washington and John Travolta are in the lead roles, and the release is set for 31st July 2009.

State Of Play
Can a great, six hour miniseries be remade as a two hour movie? That’s the plan, as the John Simm-starring series becomes a big Hollywood film with Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe, Helen Mirren and Rachel McAdams in the cast. It’s in post-production now, for release in April 2009. Kevin Macdonald directs, following on from his success with The Last King Of Scotland .

The Last House On The Left
The remake of Wes Craven’s 70s horror is in the can, set for release in 2009. Dennis Illiadis has directed, and the cast features Monica Potter and Sara Paxton. Craven is attached as producer.

Fame
The Alan Parker musical of 1980 is getting remade, and after a bit of toing and froing, Kevin Tancharoen ? the directorr of Britney Spears: Live In Miami ? is down to helm the projectt. Filming is due to start imminently, with a 25th September 2009 release date mooted. A cast of relative unknowns is in place.

Red Dawn
The 1984 hit is being remade, with Dan Bradley behind the camera, and Disturbia scriber Carl Ellsworth penning the screenplay. Bradley was the second unit director on Quantum Of Solace , incidentally. The film is due out in 2010, but a start date for filming hasn’t been confirmed.

Short Circuit
This one’s still on for 2010, although a director and cast are still to be announced. David Foster is producing though, and he was one of the string-pullers behind the 2005 remake of The Fog . He also produced the original Short Circuit . And he’s attached to?

The Thing

The Birds
The Hitchcock classic is up to be remade, and Casino Royale director Martin Campbell is still believed to be involved. A 2011 release date is mooted, and both Naomi Watts and George Clooney have been linked to the project. No word on a filming start date, though.

Hellraiser
Clive Barker’s classic is coming back to the big screen, this time in the hands of writer/director Pascal Laugier. However, it’s still some way from getting to the screen, given Laugier’s commitment to another project first. 2011 would, therefore, be a good guess for a new Hellraiser project.

Poltergeist
No studio seems as committed to pillaging its back catalogue as MGM is, and Tobe Hooper’s Poltergeist is currently on its slate as well. The 1982 original, produced by Spielberg, will be remade by Vadim Perelman. He previously directed House Of Sand And Fog , and the new Poltergeist may make it out for next year.

Oldboy
Steven Spielberg is bringing a new take to Oldboy than the 2003 Korean corker, with Will Smith attached to the project too. Smith has said that the film will be based on the original manga, rather than the film itself. Not strictly a remake, then, but you can bet that the overlap will be noticeable?

Westworld
It’s been an on-off project for so long, that we hope that the late Michael Crichton’s terrific original will be allowed to stand. However, a rampaging robot around a theme park is just the kind of thing Hollywood likes, and the project is still believed to be in the scripting process.

The French original pulled together Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu, two giants of France’s cinema industry. The American remake, has Martin Campbell attached to it (the same Martin Campbell who is involved with The Birds ), and it’s currently being rewritten with the plan being to go into production next year.

Logan’s Run
It’s been caught in development hell for a while, but the planned remake of Logan’s Run is believed to be back on the burner. Joseph Kosinski, who’s currently working on TR2N (or Tron 2, as we prefer to call it), currently has it lined up as his next project, for a 2010/11 release.

Child’s Play
Chucky is coming back to the big screen, potentially with Brad Dourif involved in the project. Seed Of Chucky director and original writer Don Mancini is down to write and direct this remake, which is set for release in 2010.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Richard O’Brien is believed to be not best pleased about it, but an option has nonetheless been taken out on a new version of the massive cult musical hit. No more news is available on the project right now, so it’s safe to assume it’s a couple of years away.

Flash Gordon
There’s no start date yet for filming, but Breck Eisner ? he of Sahara fame ? is down to writeite and direct. If there’s no room for Brian Blessed, we suggest we organise a worldwide boycott right now?

Rosemary’s Baby
The original: a 70s classic, that still pull its punches now. Directed by Roman Polanski, it’s regarded as one of the best movies of that decade. The remake? It’s being produced by Michael Bay. It’s due out in 2010.

The Jetsons
The animated movie is getting a live action remake, clearly inspired by the stunning pair of Flintstones movies. Ahem. Robert Rodriguez was in talks to be involved in the project, but no formal confirmation has since been forthcoming. Expect it in 2011 at the earliest?

Starfighter
The 1984 cult hit The Last Starfighter could be heading back, with original director Nick Castle at the helm, presumably with a more bountiful budget to play with. It’s still in development, though, with a 2010 release window the earliest we’d get to see it.

Forbidden Planet
The main reason to be interested here is the involvement of Babylon 5 ’s J Michael Stracyznski. He’s attached to the script for the remake of the 1956 classic, although it doesn’t appear yet that a screenplay has been finalised. Joel Silver is producing, with a 2010 release date planned, but looking unlikely.

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
Charlize Theron is loosely attached to the planned remake here. Chan-wook Park, the writer/director of the Korean original, is not believed to be involved. Theron is currently linked as producer, but may star when the film gets to the screen, probably in 2010.

Near Dark
Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes company is behind the remake of Kathryn Bigelow’s 1987 vampire flick. Attached to direct is Samuel Bayer, whose CV is filled primarily with musical videos to date. The film seems a little lost in development hell right now, however, and the release date is at best a few years away.

Barbarella
Grindhouse ’s Rose McGowan is attached to the lead role in this planned new take on the source material that inspired the Jane Fonda movie of the same name. Robert Rodriguez will be directing, although the film is reportedly having trouble getting its finances together. Don’t expect a release anytime soon?

Red Sonja
Rose McGowan again, although this one’s closer to getting to the screen, giving that the new take on Red Sonja is currently in pre-production. Directing is Douglas Aarniokosoki, who has previously done second unit directing work on Taken , Once Upon A Time In Mexico and Resident Evil Extinction . Presented by Robert Rodriguez (in the words of the poster, anyway), the film will be out in 2010.

Last Tango In Paris
Believe the rumour mill, and Tom Cruise is potentially circling the Marlon Brando classic as fodder for himself and his wife, Katie Holmes. Nothing is in pencil, yet alone ink, but the mere suggestion of it brings us out in the shivers.

Angel Heart
The Robert De Niro/Mickey Rourke horror, originally directed by Alan Parker, has been picked up by the man who used to run New Line Cinema, Michael De Luca. Along with this co-producers, he’s now believed to be in the early stages of putting a new film together based around the book Fallen Angel , which provided the foundation for Parker’s film. It’s a good few years away, though.

The Host
Asian monster movie The Host has been picking up a healthy audience on DVD, but it’s now also getting the American treatment. The film has been snapped up by Gore Verbinski ? who remaade The Ring ? and he will be producing a new version of the film. Firsst time director Fredrik Bond will be wielding the megaphone, and the film is in the very early stages of its production life.

High and Low
Mike Nichols is back behind the camera, for a remake of Akira Kurosawa’s High And Low . The 1963 original was based on the novel King’s Ransom , and the new version has been written by David Mamet. Originally developed by Martin Scorsese, Nichols is likely to get it before the cameras next year.

My Fair Lady
A film that many of us in the land of Geek have a soft spot for, but perhaps not if Keira Knightley, as planned, gets her paws on the role of Eliza Doolittle. Musicals are big business right now, though, and while Knightley isn’t believed as of yet to have committed to the role, the film is likely to go ahead.

Rashomon
Akira Kurasawa again, with this time a new attempt to get his 1950 classic remade, and this time with a little more luck. Funding is in place this time, on a version of the film that will switch the action to modern day America. It’s set for release in 2010, but no director or cast has thus far been announced.

All Of Me
The classic early 80s Steve Martin comedy, where he shared a body with Lily Tomlin, is under the remake microscope, with Adam Shankman ? who directed Martin in Bringing Down The House and Cheaper By The Dozen 2 ? in line to direct. Shankman has a slate of films in development though (with Hairspray 2 likely to get top priority), so a new All Of Me may end up on the back burner. Queen Latifah has been mentioned as a casting option.

The rights have been picked up to do a new take on the Blake Edwards/Dudley Moore/Bo Derek comedy 10 . Edwards is apparently on board as an executive producer, although a new cast and director is yet to be announced. Expect a 2010 release, though, would be our guess. It’s too easy a poster to pass up.

Captain Blood
The Errol Flynn pirate flick of 1935 is inspiring a remake, which is in no way down to the fact that the Pirates of the Caribbean movies made potloads of cash. Phillip Noyce is down to direct, casting has yet to be announced.

Highlander
There will be only one, they said. Bleedin’ liars. The latest entry in the Highlander franchise is a full on remake of the original, presumably with the plan of foisting an army of further sequels on us. Matt Holloway and Art Marcum are writing the new film, and one of the original producers, Peter Davis, should be back to produce this one. It’s believed that cameras will roll in 2009.

Brighton Rock
Graham Greene’s classic Brighton Rock is going back before the cameras thanks to Optimum. 28 Weeks Later scriber Rowan Joffe is scribbling the new script, which he will also direct, moving the story to the 1960s in the process. Production should begin next year.

Return to “2009”