Tree of Life, etc.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Malick directing an IMAX film? I'm totally there. It's nice to see him treat the format as just another canvass to express his art rather than just a novelty/marketing ploy.

Edited By anonymous on 1236622852
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I worked on it, but I didn't get to see much as I only did paper work and ran errands. I had no idea what the movie was about, and other people I talked to didn't have much of a clue either.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

According to Empire it's going to be three different films:

Pitt's 'Tree Of Life' three different films

Tuesday, March 3 2009, 12:42pm EST

By Simon Reynolds, Movies Editor
Pitt's 'Tree Of Life' three different films

Brad Pitt's upcoming project with Terrence Malick, The Tree Of Life, will reportedly be presented as three different movies.

Speaking about the film to Empire, visual effects guru Mike Fink (The Golden Compass, Tropic Thunder) said that he has just started work on the ambitious project, which is being slated for release on IMAX screens.

"There's going to be a 35mm release, a shorter IMAX version, and then they're talking about another shorter 35mm version which isn't quite the IMAX version but not the feature length one either," he explained.

"We're animating dinosaurs, but it's not Jurassic Park. The attempt is to treat it as if somehow a camera wound up in the middle of these periods when dinosaurs roamed the earth and creatures first started to emerge from the sea onto the land. The first mammals appearing.

"We're doing a number of creatures all seriously scientifically based. I think when it's finished it'll be something that's referred to for years."

Malick, a notoriously slow director, has allegedly revamped a movie he was working on in the '70s (titled Q) into Tree Of Life. Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain co-star with Pitt in the movie, which involves a young man in the US Midwest who grows up to become a disenchanted adult.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1236551523
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Apparently Malick's upcoming epic feature Tree of Life is expanding into 2 films...in a way. With the aide of Dennis Trumbull, there will be a second feature that will be shot in IMAX only called The Voyage of Time. The entire story is in this link, but I think the chatter is that Tree will be about the creation (and destruction?) of man, while Voyage will deal more with the same only with a focus on the universe. I feel as though maybe Wes is working on this, or was at one point, so I'm certain we could have a more significant insider look as release grows nearer.

Malick's upcoming films

Return to “2009”