Sequels and Remakes Oh My...

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

While I don't mind a series being brought back with sequels nearly as much as I do remakes of classic films, it does get annoying. I think the reason this is happening so much now is the success of recent do-overs. I mean Rocky 6 was a hit, Indy 4 was a hit, Die Hard 4 was a hit. And to be fair, they did a decent job with each of those. Not a small feat, considering the ages of their headliners, who are all over 50.

The remakes I generally frown upon. The Birds? A Nightmare on Elm Street?

Some ideas I can understand, like The Karate Kid or The Wolf Man. There is such a absence of good horror titles that doing a classy period werewolf story would be soooo nice to see. I'm happy they have decided to move the date from April to November. My first prediction for 2009 Oscars: Rick Baker for Makeup. That will go alongside a second posthumous nod for Stan Winston in Visual Effects for Terninator: Salvation (he should be among the nominees for Iron Man this year). Getting ahead of the game, I know...

Edited By criddic3 on 1229330879
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think they should remake Marnie as a comeback vehicle for Winona Ryder.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Greg wrote:
MovieWes wrote:Uh-oh. Here we go again...

Russell Brand Developing Arthur Remake

This is the first case I can think of remaking a film years after its sequal bombed.
What about The Pink Panther?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

MovieWes wrote:Uh-oh. Here we go again...

This is the first case I can think of remaking a film years after its sequal bombed.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Uh-oh. Here we go again...

December 4, 2008

British comedian Russell Brand is developing a remake of Arthur, the 1981 comedy that starred Dudley Moore, for Warner Bros. as a potential starring vehicle.

Brand is meeting with scribes to write the screenplay, which will be produced by MBST's Larry Brezner, whose credits range from Good Morning, Vietnam to HBO's recent "Little Britain USA."

The original movie followed a boozy playboy rascal who is set to inherit a fortune if he marries an heiress his family thinks will make something out of him. However, he falls in love with a working-class woman and turns to his valet for help when his family makes him choose between money and love.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i know this has nothing to do with movies, but this is just freaking insane. please someone make the stupidity stop!

Stamos Plans Full House Remake

The cast of 90s U.S. sitcom Full House is planning to return to the small screen in an up-to-date version of the show that launched the careers of the Olsen Twins.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen found fame sharing the role of little Michelle Elizabeth Tanner in the comedy, which ran from 1987 to 1995.

It also made stars out of castmembers Bob Saget, John Stamos, Jodie Sweetin, Dave Coulier and Candace Cameron Bure.

And Stamos is plotting to reunite at least some of the cast for a "semi-remake".

Cameron Bure tells Ok! magazine, "John has been working on a semi-remake of Full House.

"I know it would involve me and Jodie Sweetin. We would revive our characters, but today as young women."
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:Which means they'll probably get Dakota Fanning and Kevin Jonas to star in the Romancing the Stone remake.
Watch them "remake" Boys Don't Cry next year starring Miley Cyrus.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

One of the major problems with so many of these remakes is that the cast MUCH younger actors than the original stars; clearly this is an attempt to draw in the youth crowd, but it's very discombobulating. No offense to Liev Schrieber and Julia Stiles, but they were so much younger than Gregory Peck and Lee Remick in the original Omen (the fact that they had finally had a child was part of why that film was so effective) that it reduced its effectiveness.

Which means they'll probably get Dakota Fanning and Kevin Jonas to star in the Romancing the Stone remake.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

August: Osage County is already in production. IMDb won't let me see the details, but it does show 2011 as the year next to the title. I remember reading it was in the works at Variety one day, so there you have it. :)

But, all they want from remakes and sequels is more money. It's not a lack of creativity as so much as it is a desire for filthy lucre.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

It makes me sick that they're choosing to "re-make" something as recent as Romancing the Stone when there are so many novels, plays and short stories that are ripe for a page-to-screen transfer. Where is my dream project of a film version of Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone? Or a "August: Osage County"? Or the vivid Alice Munro short story "Open Secrets" (the same author who penned "The Bear Came Over the Mountain", the story upon which last year's Away From Her was based)?

There isn't a lack of material to be adapted, just a lack of creative energy and an unquenchable thirst for cash resulting in re-treads of films that don't need to be re-made (there's no way they'll be able to recreate the Turner/Douglas chemistry that makes Romancing the Stone work so well). I mean, whatever happened to the Judi Dench-helmed The Corrections?

Edited By flipp525 on 1228409427

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

why, why, why, why?

at what point are some of these movies not even remakes? ROMANCING THE STONE uses such a basic template for its story, remaking it is redundant. i mean, basically SIX DAYS, SEVEN NIGHTS was a remake, and THE AFRICAN QUEEN is probably the best of the "uptight woman is rescued by crusty-but-lovable guy, and then they fall in love". they are basically just exploiting the title for money.

The classic 1984 movie Romancing The Stone, which helped launch the Hollywood career of Michael Douglas, is set to be remade.

The action-adventure movie was a box office smash - turning Douglas, Danny DeVito and Kathleen Turner into mega film stars and giving director Robert Zemeckis his first big hit.

And now, according to Hollywood Reporter, Fox chiefs have decided the time is right to produce an updated version, signing up Eagle Eye co-writer Daniel McDermott to pen the script.

The original film told the story of a romance novelist who travels to Colombia to find her missing sister but ends up meeting an American soldier of fortune, and the two embark on a cross-country adventure.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:And I don't agree it was a bad decade for films at all.
Sure you can find some great films from the 80s, but on a film-by-film, week-by-week basis, checking out the new releases (half of which seemed to be about kids trying to get laid), it was a horrendous decade, far worse than any other.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

It's a normal tendency... considering the kids that live trough a decade 20 years later will be in charges of desition (early to mid 30's) then it makes sense.

That's why it is normal for popular consensus to detract last decade as old or out and the previous to that one gain points based on nostalgia alone. In the 90's, the 80's were considered horrendous and everything was influenced by 70's minimalism: acoustic music, classic dressing, very organic, etc. Now in this decade we've seen the return of plastic accesories, electro pop music and so on. Films with 15+ years old become a classic and people is rediscovering Platoon, The Last Emperor, Blue Velvet to name a few.

And I don't agree it was a bad decade for films at all. Kurosawa's renaissence, Pelle The Conqueror, Fanny och Alexander, Amadeus, Blue Velvet, sex, lies and videotape, La Historia Oficial, E.T., Missing, Tootsie, Amadeus, Prizzi's Honor, Platoon, that beautiful jewel called The Mission, Hannah and her Sisters and from my country Oriana are films that come quikly to mind that are actually very high in my esteem list, films that shook me in a way or another.

The 80's are the last evidence of a world before globalization, a world isolated but desperate to nourished of itself, countries began to aknowledge and accept more and more the cultural fo other countries. We knew Enya singing Orinoco Flow with all its imagery, Paul Simon redifining etno music and making it mainstream, the first organized electronic movement in Europe, Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman doing a neo folk that pleased young audiences all around the world, and so on...

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1227746991
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Hollywood really has run out of ideas if they're greenlighting a new Three Men and a... sequel. My God.

I wish Hollywood would just leave the '80s alone. It was a terrible decade for films, yet Hollywood is trying to milk '80s nostalgia for all it's worth. This decade, we've seen sequels to Indiana Jones, Rocky, Rambo, Die Hard, The Terminator, Alien/Predator, and Crocodile Dundee, as well as remakes of Halloween, Friday the 13th, and the upcoming A Nightmare on Elm Street. There's also a remake of Robocop in the works. A fourth Beverly Hills Cop movie has been announced (to be directed by Brett Ratner, no less), as well as a remake of The Karate Kid starring Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son). What's next, a fourth sequel to Back to the Future? Top Gun 2? Twins 2? Lethal Weapon 5? Missing in Action 4? The Naked Gun 4? A re-boot of the Revenge of the Nerds franchise? A remake of Smokey and the Bandit or Porky's? Or perhaps a Ferris Bueller sequel in which Matthew Broderick calls in sick for work? And where is John Hughes in all this? Why isn't he trying to get a piece of the action?

Edited By MovieWes on 1227743837
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's another one...and while they're at it, they bring up a revival of Police Academy...as if ghostbusters weren't bad enough.

Guttenberg, Selleck And Danson Reteam For Another Three Men Sequel

26 November 2008 11:11 AM, PST

Actor Steve Guttenberg will reunite with Tom Selleck and Ted Danson for a new sequel to 1987 hit movie Three Men And A Baby.

The acting trio scored huge box office success with their comedic turn as bachelors forced to look after a girlfriend's kids after they are left holding the baby.

They made a sequel in 1990, titled Three Men and a Little Lady, and now, 18 years later, Guttenberg, Selleck and Danson are set to reprise their roles for a new installment.

Guttenberg, 50, says, "Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and I are looking to make another Three Men And A Baby movie. It's called Three Men and A Bride. The script is pretty much written and we are really keen to get that made. We're very hopeful."

Guttenberg is also in the process of reviving the Police Academy franchise, which shot him to fame in the early 1980s.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2009”