Star Trek XI

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

for me it is an absolute three-way tie between
THE WRATH OF KHAN
THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY
FIRST CONTACT
as best film in the series. i love the first one's campy fun, the second one's political nature, and the third one's tension and excitement.

i think the most loathed film in the series was THE FINAL FRONTIER, though INSURRECTION was pretty awful. THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK just had the bad luck to come after arguably the most famous in film in the series. GENERATIONS was alright, and NEMESIS would have been better if it had focused on the romulans instead of the new aliens or picard's clone. it always baffled me THE VOYAGE HOME was the one that made the most money (not adjusted for inflation). it probably had to do with taking place on modern day earth brought in the non-trekkies.

the first one i admire more than enjoy. having robert wise direct was like having ang lee direct HULK. wise treated it like a david lean epic. i am sure seeing the film on the big screen is the best experience. he did not have fun with the story or characters, but it was expertly done.

abrams, who never watched the tv show, said he admired that ungodly long scene where the ship is first revealed in the original movie. he supposedly has a similar moment in his movie. other than that, the movie looks heavy on the space battle fun we saw in THE WRATH OF KHAN and THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. as long as he does no employ any greengrass shaky-camera shit, i will be happy. that crap is spreading like herpes into all genres of film...now even james bond. :angry:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Generations wasn't bad, but The Motion Picture was utterly boring. I remember falling asleep watching it the first time. Search for Spock was a fairly decent odd-numbered one.

But, my rankings would largely place Even-numbered above odd-numbered with only Nemesis failing to live up to even-numbered expectations and Generations and Search for Spock surpassing expectations.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:I may finally be pushed over the edge from amusement with JJ Abrams to revulsion. It looks like some Transformers-esque action movie eliminating the vestiges of class and originality the original series and movies possessed.

It may still be a good movie, but hope dwindles the more I see about it.
i get what you are saying oscarguy. the new set of the enterprise by way of the apple store i find particularly annoying. i do not belong to the cult of abrams -- i abandoned LOST after the first season and never watched any of his other shows. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 was fun, but nothing special. the movie certainly looks like any other bruckheimer/bay action film.

all that being said, i am really freaking excited! i would not call myself a full-fledged trekkie since i have seen very few episodes of the original series. the only series i have seen completely was VOYAGER. i have, however, seen all the movies. i am a firm believer in the even/odd theory about the quality of trek films. sure GENERATIONS was not that bad (odd) and NEMESIS was not that great (even), but otherwise the reputation is deserved. since this film is an odd, i am not sure how good it could be...then again, all the first films in the series (original and next generation) were odd and they are the better than the other odds.

alright, now that i have established myself as a huge dork, i wanted to add how i do not object to sexy actors being cast for the original characters. supposedly the first slash fiction was written by straight women about sexual relationships between kirk and spock. i have never understood why anyone would want to fantasize about those two characters as portrayed by nimoy and shatner. with chris pine and zachary quinto in the roles, there will probably be a whole resurgence of slash fiction. very hot.

here is the trailer--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrueSTLMdE
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There was a trailer on the beginning of Quantum of Solace.

I may finally be pushed over the edge from amusement with JJ Abrams to revulsion. It looks like some Transformers-esque action movie eliminating the vestiges of class and originality the original series and movies possessed.

It may still be a good movie, but hope dwindles the more I see about it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Yeah, I know. I just found it amusing. Maybe I'm too perceptive of little things, lol. :D
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Entirely random chance...The article came out yesterday...
Wesley Lovell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I know this has nothing to do with anything (and the only reason I'm saying anything is because I found it amusing), but was there any reason, OscarGuy, why you resurrected this thread EXACTLY ONE YEAR TO THE DAY after you first created it? :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm already losing interest in JJ Abrams and now he makes comments like this. I mean, there's a reason Star Trek fans are Star Trek fans and why there has always been a long-standing feud between Trekkies and Lucasites. When you try to blend the two, you might please some, but you won't please all. I'm not hopeful about this one. Abams will be on my shit list if he fucks this one up.
"lucasites!" it sounds like a disease. :p

i wonder if the "south park" boys will depict abrams raping spock if they do not like the new movie.

i actually had nightmares after watching indy getting raped by lucas and spielberg on that infamous episode. i am not even joking.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Abrams is one of the most over-rated hacks in the business. But I do like his comment vis à vis The Dark Knight. But, you know, I prefer those joyful movies over the misanthropic ones.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm already losing interest in JJ Abrams and now he makes comments like this. I mean, there's a reason Star Trek fans are Star Trek fans and why there has always been a long-standing feud between Trekkies and Lucasites. When you try to blend the two, you might please some, but you won't please all. I'm not hopeful about this one. Abams will be on my shit list if he fucks this one up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_en_mo/film_star_trek
Wesley Lovell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

These movies are still being made??
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Although no one ever created a topic for this (surprised, I am), I thought I'd post the latest leaked casting news:

Pine To Go Where Shatner Went Before

Writer-director Joe Carnahan (Smokin' Aces) has indirectly revealed that actor Chris Pine has landed the role of Captain James Kirk in the next Star Trek movie. It had been reported earlier that Pine was weighing whether to co-star with George Clooney in Carnahan's next movie, White Jazz, or take the Kirk role. But on his blog Monday, Carnahan wrote that Pine "has opted to 'go where no man has gone before' and thus had to bow out of White Jazz. I've been talking to him this past week and knew how tough the decision had to be for him. I don't envy ever being in that spot, but I gave him my full support, even if it meant he didn't do Jazz. I get it. You don't get opportunities like that often."
Wesley Lovell

Return to “2009”