The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - John Boorman to direct

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:I’d rather see someone do a biopic on Frank L. Baum than this.
they already did one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099464/

i was pretty young when i saw this, but i remember liking it.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:And what will ever happen with an adaptation of the popular stage musical Wicked? I'm shocked there hasn't been something done on that.
Hopefully, nothing.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And what will ever happen with an adaptation of the popular stage musical Wicked? I'm shocked there hasn't been something done on that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Isn't Boorman already slated to film The Memoirs of Hadrian? I'd rather see that before another redo of Oz.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I’d rather see someone do a biopic on Frank L. Baum than this.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hopefully it'll keep the political/social commentary of the source material intact. They probably won't, though. It's written by the guy that wrote Robots. You know, the one with the poop joke except with oil and an outdated Britney Spears joke thrown in for pop culture's sake. That's class.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Boorman follows road to 'Wizard'

Director signs on to CG-animated pic
By JOHN HOPEWELL

John Boorman is attached to direct the $25 million, CG-animated pic "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz."
The adaptation of L. Frank Baum's original novel will be Boorman's first toon pic.

Produced by Laurent Rodon and Claude Gorvsky at France's Films Actions and John Boorman's longtime associate Kieran Corrigan, and currently in pre-production, "Oz" is written by Boorman, Ron Mita and Jim McClain ("Robots"). It's skedded for a summer 2010 delivery.

The English-language adaptation maintains the tale's main characters and settings. Unlike the MGM classic, however, it's not a musical.

"Oz" comes as the $35 million Gallic 3-D French toon "A Monster in Paris" has suspended production, reportedly out of financing concerns.

"Oz" consolidates SND's push into animated feature financing. At AFM it is also selling $10 million CG feature "The Magic Roundabout: The Beginning," targeting kids ages 3-8.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2009”