Sam Mendes to direct comic book adaptation

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Comic book geeks have been waiting for decades for Hollywood to take their favorite literary genre seriously. Now that Hollywood is hopping on every property possible (and even creating sequels for movies that shouldn't have had them in the first place), comic book fans are chomping at the bit for the next big adaptation. I don't see that waning any time soon. And as long as it's making money, Hollywood will keep making more.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's a great idea but what isn't a great idea is introducing all the characters in solo films beforehand removing all degree of surprise and introduction. It's like having a Nightcrawler movie before 'X2'. You want to look at these guys and be like "Dude, Captain America is bad ass! There's a movie coming out of this guy fighting the Nazis? Awesome." Not the other way around. 'Iron Man' and 'The Incredible Hulk' are ample set up for an 'Avengers'. I don't see how a stand alone 'Captain America' movie BEFORE 'The Avengers' would help. It's oversaturation before you launch your flagship. Do we NEED a 'Thor', a 'Captain America', AND an 'Ant-Man' before 'The Avengers'? Is that really going to make me more interested?
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

All of my friends actually think Marvel's idea is terrific. I think The Avengers is going to be a major blockbuster.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I totally agree. Marvel will kill it with this 'Avengers' movie. There's absolutely no reason to do singular features before a team movie, thus erasing any form of character introduction. It's a miserable idea and hopefully it'll level the playing field. A decade and a half of comic book movies on top is probably enough.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sabin wrote:Why is it that comic book movies went from development hell to active blasphemy in less than a decade.
They're at risk of saturating the market with these comic book adaptations. Soon, they'll all be going bust, and that will kill any chance for a big-screen adaptation of my beloved Flash.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There's a lot I love about the graphic novel 'Preacher' and a lot that reeks of wretched excess. It's very Garth Ennis: lots of rampant anarchic rudeness but a gem of a great idea that he plays off really well. The idea of Mendes doesn't fill me with hope but it'll certainly get watched. I'm intrigued. I think it was born to be a HBO/Showtime miniseries though.

Why is it that comic book movies went from development hell to active blasphemy in less than a decade.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

He already directed Road to Perdition, but this is a much different kind of film for him...

Columbia signs on for 'Preacher' feature
Sam Mendes to direct adaptation of Vertigo title

By Borys Kit and Leslie Simmons

Columbia Pictures has picked up the rights to "Preacher," the popular 1990s Vertigo series, for an adaptation to be directed by Sam Mendes.

Neal Moritz and his Original Films banner are producing with Kickstart Prods.' Jason Netter.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Getting a "Preacher" project off the ground has long been a favorite among the comic book literati in town, though none has been blessed to see completion. The project was previously set up as a one-hour series at HBO but was put into turnaround. Mark Steven Howard wrote a pilot which Howard Deutch was attached to direct.

A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

The new "Preacher" has no writers on board, though Mendes will lead the search while putting the finishing touches on his drama "Revolutionary Road, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet and due Dec. 26.

While comic book movies might seem as common as Joker Halloween costumes, CAA-repped Mendes directed one of this century's early comic adaptations, 2002's "Road to Perdition."

Moritz and Netter are working adapting another Ennis comic book, "The Boys," which also is set up Columbia.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2009”