Ridley Scott returns to sci-fi! - His first sci-fi film since Blade Runner

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not a Raging Bull junkie, either.

And a lot of more recent "masterpieces" have serious detractors. It's probably been too recently for most of those films for a true consensus to have emerged.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Blade Runner, Raging Bull and Au Revoir, Les Enfants have just as many detractors. Competent, interesting, nothing near a masterpiece and self-important are all phrases I would use to describe Raging Bull.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But you list a bunch of films that often have serious detractors. For instance, Blue Velvet, while competent and interesting, nothing near a masterpiece, IMO. And Raising Arizona is more self-important than Blade Runner.

Though I do love Amadeus and Victor Victoria.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I have always found Blade Runner highly overrated. It is a fine science fiction film, but it is so stiff and self-important. It thinks it is highly intelligent, when it really doesn't say much in the end. Plus, any film that relies on Sean Young has a major deficit from the start!

I also hate when people put down the 1980s. In many ways, I think it has much more to offer than the overrated 1970s. The 70s brought us a great flock of similar films, but the 1980s brought us a wealth of masterpieces as different as Brazil, Hannah and Her Sisters, Blue Velvet, Amadeus, Purple Rose of Cairo, sex lies and videotape, Do the Right Thing, Raising Arizona, Jean de Florette, Melvin and Howard, White Dog and Victor/Victoria can't be all bad.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Oh, come on! Blade Runner was one of the great films of the '80s and he hasn't done a sci-fi film since. Yes, I know, using the terms "great films" and "'80s" in the same sentence may sound a bit oxymoronic, but there were a handful of truly great films during that decade, and Blade Runner (along with Raging Bull, Ran, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Aur Revoir, Les Enfants) was one of them. Sure, he's done a lot of crappy films since then, but this could be his return to form. As long as he doesn't use Russell Crowe. Again.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:What the world needs now.
Love, sweet love?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

What the world needs now.

Why won't he just go away . . . ?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I haven't really been a huge fan of his output over the past few years, but Blade Runner is in my top 5 of all-time, and I don't think that he's ever come close to recapturing the greatness of that film, so I'm pretty happy to be hearing this. Hopefully, it will be worthwhile.

Ridley Scott takes on 'War'
Film based on Haldeman novel 'Forever'

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Fox 2000 has acquired rights to Joe Haldeman’s 1974 novel "The Forever War," and Ridley Scott is planning to make it into his first science fiction film since he delivered back-to-back classics with "Blade Runner" and "Alien."

Scott intended to follow those films with "The Forever War," but rights complications delayed his plans for more than two decades.

The film will be produced by Scott Free. Vince Gerardis and Ralph Vicinanza will exec produce. Their company, Created By, reps Haldeman and spent the last decade trying to get back the rights.

"I first pursued ‘Forever War’ 25 years ago, and the book has only grown more timely and relevant since," Scott told Daily Variety. "It’s a science-fiction epic, a bit of ‘The Odyssey’ by way of ‘Blade Runner,’ built upon a brilliant, disorienting premise."

Book revolves around a soldier who battles an enemy in deep space for only a few months, only to return home to a planet he doesn’t recognize some 20 years later, Scott said.

"The Forever War" rights were acquired right after publication by f/x titan Richard Edlund, who spent $400,000 of his own money and intended to make the book his directorial debut. The book became an iconic sci-fi title but Edlund, who won two Oscars — including one for visual effects on "Raiders of the Lost Ark" — never got "The Forever War" off the ground. After a Sci Fi Channel miniseries stalled, Scott became interested again and Edlund was ready to make a deal. It took six months to secure all the rights.

Scott Free and Fox 2000’s Elizabeth Gabler and Rodney Ferrell will hire a writer immediately. Scott, whose "Body of Lies" was released Friday, next plans to direct "Nottingham," starring Russell Crowe. He has several other projects percolating that include the thriller "Child 44," for which Richard Price just penned a script, and "Gucci," about the internecine squabbles within the fashion family that led to the murder of Maurizio Gucci. That Fox 2000 pic has a new draft by Charles Randolph.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2009”