Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang remake

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It'll be some hack like Adam Shankman or Andy Tennant.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a wonderful children's book, and the remake can't be any worse than the atrocious original film, which is unspeakably bad.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Personally, I'd prefer to see someone like the Coen Bros. directing it (and Terry Gilliam is also a good choice), but yeah, Tim Burton does seem like a likely choice, even though, yeah, I was joking.

P.S. If this post seems weird, sorry. I'm really drunk right now.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

MovieWes wrote:Maybe they'll get Tim Burton to direct it, lol.

I know you're joking, but I can see that happening. I'd prefer someone like Terry Gilliam directing it though. I doubt that'd happen though.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Maybe they'll get Tim Burton to direct it, lol.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Please, not Johnny Depp again spoiling something!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Is it based on the new musical?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

MovieWes wrote:Jesus, what's with all these remakes? And furthermore, why do they always feel the need to get Johnny Depp to star in them? Damn.
Proliferation enjoys company.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Jesus, what's with all these remakes? And furthermore, why do they always feel the need to get Johnny Depp to star in them? Damn.

Michael G. Wilson Comments On 'Chitty' Remake Possibilities

Back in March of this year, news emerged that a remake of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the classic adventure featuring a magical flying car and created by James Bond author Ian Fleming, was being discussed.

Now, Michael G. Wilson, who produces the 007 films along with Barbara Broccoli and co-owns the rights to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, has commented on the news. ‘There may be a new film of Chitty, we will have to see,’ he told the Sunday Telegraph.

In the March ‘08 article, an unnamed Eon Productions executive stated that the remake, which would likely go into production in 2009, would feature ‘big-name stars, a multi-million pound budget and cutting-edge special effects’. Johnny Depp’s name was brought up as a possibility.

The original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang debuted in theatres in 1968, starring Dick Van Dyke, Sally Ann Howes and Lionel Jeffries.

Produced by Albert R. Broccoli, the production also featured several cast and crew members from the Bond films, including actors Gert Fröbe, Desmond Llewelyn, a screenwriters Richard Maibaum and Roald Dahl, associate producer Stanley Sopel, production designer Ken Adam, art director Harry Pottle, and many others.

Barbara Broccoli then launched a stage performance version that ran from 2002 to 2005 at the London Palladium and became a massive hit, earning more than £70 million.

‘I wasn’t surprised by the success of the show because so many people came up to me and said they had the original video,’ she stated.

‘In Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fleming created some perennial characters. The car and the whole idea of flight is something that appeals to kids of all ages. The show was wonderful. The number of grown men who were reduced to tears at the sight of that flying car was amazing to me.’

Return to “2009”