Follies

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:I haven't seen A Little Night Music, but have heard it is a disaster.
As Pauline Kael memorably put it, Hal Prince directed as if he'd never SEEN a movie. Everything that had seemed so effervescent onstage seemed clunky on-screen. You could almost confuse it with Song of Norway (exaggerating, but not by as much as you'd think).
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sondheim has been translated to the screen three times (not including West Side Story or Gypsy). I haven't seen A Little Night Music, but have heard it is a disaster. ...Forum is a fun film, but bears little similarity to the glorious stage musical, and I think anyone here should know my feelings on Sweeney Todd. All that said, please excuse me if I am not overly excited about another Sondheim film!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Filmfan, I'm mixed. On the one hand, any material that's been highly praised in one medium will be difficult to translate to another, and indeed, a Mendes-Sorkin adaptation of Follies doesn't strike me as a good idea (if we needed a formalist, why not Todd Haynes or Alain Resnais? Well, I know why not the latter, but still, imagine the team of Resnais and Gauthier working on this film).

On the other hand, Harold Prince has mentioned several times about his intention to make the original staging of Follies as cinematic as possible, using the theatrical equivalent of things like jump cuts, dissolves, etc. So it's not as wild an idea as say, Pacific Overtures.

Anyway, like you, I'll be there opening day.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I don't think that I would have any trouble imagining this onscreen. There have been wonderful casts submitted as ideal. I do believe that Glenn Close fits Sally, and I would like to see Christine Baranski as Carlotte, but all the submissions have been casts , and a show, that I would pay to see.

Sure it's theatrical. Why wouldn't that aspect "translate to the screen"?

Edited By cam on 1219539516
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

To me, it is such a theatrical piece, that I really don't see how it can translate to the screen. Chicago worked within the same constraints, but I have such an attachment to the piece that I feel overly protective of it. I'll be first in line to see it, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

FilmFan720 wrote:Considering the idiocy of this idea, I say no one!
While I'm not sold on the team behind the production (no no no on Aaron Sorkin), I think it could make a pretty great movie. Why so down?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:Phyllis: Donna Pescow
Sally: Marie Osmond
Ben: Jon Voight
Buddy: Deney Terrio
Carlotta: Pamela Bellwood
Emily: Stephanie Zimbalist
Theodore: Gerald McRainey
Solange: Sally Struthers
Hattie: Tanya Tucker
Stella: Pamela Sue Martin
Heidi: Debbie Boone
Dimitri: Pat Harrington, Jr.
Roscoe: Robert Englund
I would DEFINITELY pay money to see that!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Phyllis: Donna Pescow
It ain't supposed to be no damn Hallmark or Lifetime channel TV movie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:But, he sings and dances in Hairspray....so, it's not out of the blue for him.
Forgot about that, but still it would be nice.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien, that is quite the cast!
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Phyllis: Donna Pescow

Edited By Damien on 1219442789
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But, he sings and dances in Hairspray....so, it's not out of the blue for him.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Liza would be the ideal interpreter of "I'm Still Here", but since the character is supposed to be older than the leads it might not make sense.

I've been looking forward to a film version of Follies since the mid-70s when it was rumored to be in the works with Joan Crawford as Carlotta and Bette Davis as Hattie. Too bad Anne Bancroft (Phyllis) and Shirley MacLaine (Sally) didn't make this instead of The Turning Point.

I think Nanette Fabray needs to be part of it considering she was the original choice for Phyllis but was afraid she would jinx it having been in so many Broadway flops in the 50s and early 60s.

I also like my casting of Christopher Walken. It would be nice to see him singing and dancing again.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1219441236
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yeah, I know, but it is wishful thinking. If she says no, move Debbie Reynolds down to Stella and put Shirley MacLaine in as Carlotta. Now, how can we get Liza in here?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Pretty good except for Doris Day who has become the Garbo of her generation.

Return to “2009”