Truth and Treason - Another World War II Drama

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What Dreams May Come is an awful film filled with awful performances and with atrociously bad visual effects.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I Am Legend is one of my favourite books, and I don't think I'll ever get over that diabolical mess of a movie that had no right using the title.

I remember years ago hearing of a Ridley Scott directed adaptation starring Kurt Russell that showed promise. I'll tell you all if I were ever given the chance to make one film it would be I Am Legend - the way it's supposed to be. I hope someday someone does.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What Dreams May come may not be the worst movie ever made, but it is hands down the worst ever made about the afterlife. It is also the worst film made from a Richard Matheson novel, whose The Shrinking Man is being re-made, again under the title of the 1957 classic, The Incredible Shrinking Man.

He also wrote Stir of Echoes and I Am Legend.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

flipp525 wrote:Frankly, I think there needs to be a 2-3 three year moratorium on anything Nazi/Holocaust related.

I'm sorry... have you heard about Defiance? :)

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1210626415
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Zahveed wrote:
flipp525 wrote:What Dreams May Come is perhaps the worst film ever made.

Oh, surely there are worse.
Okay, you're right. Knocked Up.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:What Dreams May Come is perhaps the worst film ever made.
Oh, surely there are worse.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sounds like Sophie Scholl: The Final Days only with a boy at the center of the story. Frankly, I think there needs to be a 2-3 three year moratorium on anything Nazi/Holocaust related. It's an important chapter of history, but seriously, I’ve simply lost interest (although, The Counterfeiters was quite good, now that I think about it).

What Dreams May Come is perhaps the worst film ever made.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I just have found information about this film, that starts filming on summer this year... probably will be released next year.

Matt Whitaker has a very short list of directed films, but among them there's a documentary called "Truth and Conviction" released on 2002 about a young german boy (a teenager actually) named Helmuth Hubener, whome at 17 was the youngest person to be sentenced to death by the Third Reich (as in a jury trial). The boy, while in Nazi Germany, managed to hear international radio broadcast including some of the BBC's and used the information heard to write some panflets, texts and some leaflets against the Hitler administration with direct comments regarding criminal behaviour. Eventually, he and two of his friends (teenagers too) were arrested by the Gestapo.

Whitaker has decided to make a feature film based on the events and it will be titled Truth and Treason. The cast right now includes the great Max Von Sydow and the so-far-disappeared Haley Joel Osment.

Don't know what can come out of this, but WW II is an appealing subject for both audiences and critics, the story looks perfect material for a film and Von Sydow is always great to look at (even in What Dreams My Come and Minority Report, the screen gets too tiny for him). Just wanted you all to know this is coming...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “2009”